• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dean
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2007

Toyo Opat 11 3,000 km Outback Trip

Just completed another 3,00km outback trip in South Oz on these tyres. I've had them on for 4 years and have done almost 50,00km. Half of those k's would be desert and outback trips.

I bought these as the usual BFG's were not available at the time and I have to say I'm impressed with these tyres. On all surfaces and especially on the rocky outback tracks.

So why are they so good ?

10ply E load for a start....as tough as you get.

No chipping or tread damage from the sharp rocks would suggest an excellent compound.
    I'm not anal about tyre rotation and only do so when needed so considering this the mileage is excellent.

So if you're after a less aggressive AT for outback trips you will struggle to get better.

Dean
    NM V6 since August 2000. Cargo Barrier, Satphone, Decent Suspension, Decent Tyres Eg. Any 10 PLY E Load Brand Not Important. Aux Tank, Rola Sports Racks/Basket, Decent Canvas Bag, Quality Esky. A Good Setup For Outback Touring/Desert Crossings.
  • mrbitchi
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2007
    • Brisbane

They are a brilliant tyre but the sidewall is unfortunately only 2 ply, so not the toughest around. I run them on my Cruiser and love them but will be upgrading to the RT when they are replaced.
    Cheers, John.
    LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
    Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

• old Jack
      Regular
      • Jun 2011
      • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by mrbitchi View Post
      They are a brilliant tyre but the sidewall is unfortunately only 2 ply, so not the toughest around. I run them on my Cruiser and love them but will be upgrading to the RT when they are replaced.
      Agree with the soft sidewall comment on the OPAT.

Unfortunately the Toyo RT is not imported in smaller sizes so a LT285/70R17 is the smallest available and this tyre is 55mm over standard diameter so it is an illegal fit in Australia.

Toyo do make a LT265/70R17 but it is only available in the USA.

Worth noting is the tread depth is 12.6mm on the RT compared to 14.7mm on ST Maxx and ATZ PS hybrid AT/MT tyres.

OJ.
      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
      MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• mrbitchi
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2007
        • Brisbane

Fortunately the LT285/70R17 size is perfect for my Cruiser
        Cheers, John.
        LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
        Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

• dean
          Valued Member
          • Jul 2007

Originally posted by mrbitchi View Post
          Most importantly it's a 10ply E Load rated tyre which means nothing in regards to the actual number of plies etc. In the garage I have an old BFG 8 ply D Load. The BFG has 3 plies in the sidewall compared to the 2 in the Toyo but to physically compare there is bugger all in it, they fill similar.
          I wouldn't be too concerned about only 2 sidewall plies v 3 as the actual thickness can be different..eg. 2 thicker plies will still be the same as 3 thinner.
          Whatever works and suits your particular style of driving.
          Cheers
          Dean
          Last edited by dean; 16-08-19, 04:42 PM.
          NM V6 since August 2000. Cargo Barrier, Satphone, Decent Suspension, Decent Tyres Eg. Any 10 PLY E Load Brand Not Important. Aux Tank, Rola Sports Racks/Basket, Decent Canvas Bag, Quality Esky. A Good Setup For Outback Touring/Desert Crossings.

Comment

• mrbitchi
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2007
            • Brisbane

Originally posted by dean View Post
            Most importantly it's a 10ply E Load rated tyre which means nothing in regards to the actual number of plies etc. In the garage I have an old BFG 8 ply D Load. The BFG has 3 plies in the sidewall compared to the 2 in the Toyo but to physically compare there is bugger all in it, they fill similar.
            I wouldn't be too concerned about only 2 sidewall plies v 3.
            Whatever works and suits your particular style of driving.
            Cheers
            Dean
            The difference is how solid the sidewall is, and therefore how resistant to punctures or impact damage. The 3 ply sidewall is much tougher than the 2 ply and will resist damage better, at the expense of some comfort in ride quality, as the sidewall is stiffer. A 3 ply sidewall will take a lot more punishment than a 2 ply, which is why just about all mud tyres are 3 ply.

Don't get me wrong, as I said I love my AT's, they are just not the toughest of tires, which is why I'll go for the RT with a 3 ply sidewall next time.
            Cheers, John.
            LC200 V8 goodness

Comment

• littleriver
              Valued Member
              • Jan 2013
              • Queensland

Originally posted by old Jack View Post

Toyo do make a LT265/70R17 but it is only available in the USA

OJ.
              Nittos are another deliberative from the Toyo factory ?

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X