• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NJV6
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2010
    • New Zealand

Tyre choice

I'm going to replace my half worn noisy BFG KO2's.

The KO2's are almost the perfect tyre for me for traction and robustness so I may yet just buy another set however also considering the M/T Deegan AT and Cooper AT3.

Has anyone used the Mickey Thompson Deegan 38 A/T on a gen 4? They look similar to the Cooper AT3 and given they come from the same place its hardly surprising. I'm struggling to go down the AT3 road given the interweb comments about noise and how slippery they are in the wet. Why do so many people hate coopers and so many love them?

Any other tyre choices I am missing?
    1994 NJ SWB, 3.5 Manual, 285/75/16 Deegan 38s MT, 25mm body lift, Twin ARB air lockers, XD9000 winch, custom bar.
    1991 NH LWB, 3.9 V8, trayback, solid front axle, Toyota hi mount winch
    2011 NT GLX DiD, 3.2 Manual, 285/65/17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, SPV EGR, Lovells SD rear, HD front, Bilsteins, Custom underbody protection, Safari Snorkel, JTig intercooler and loads of zip ties in the dash...
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by NJV6 View Post
    I'm going to replace my half worn noisy BFG KO2's.

The KO2's are almost the perfect tyre for me for traction and robustness so I may yet just buy another set however also considering the M/T Deegan AT and Cooper AT3.

Has anyone used the Mickey Thompson Deegan 38 A/T on a gen 4? They look similar to the Cooper AT3 and given they come from the same place its hardly surprising. I'm struggling to go down the AT3 road given the interweb comments about noise and how slippery they are in the wet. Why do so many people hate coopers and so many love them?

Any other tyre choices I am missing?
    You will notice the off road traction difference between the BFG and a milder tread AT tyre, but they will as be quite and better on wet bitumen. So it really gets down to your use, expectations and what you are willing to compromise on.

My understanding is the new version of the Cooper AT3 has improved wet weather performance. Mickey Thompson AT38, Toyo OPAT AT2, Falken Wildpeak AT and Hankook ATM RF10 are all similar mild AT tread pattern tyre's than seem to get a good rap.

Most of the time it is not about bad tyre's but a bad choice in tyre's that are unsuitable for the user and this leads to negative feedback.
    What are the things that are really important to you in a tyre and in what order?

OJ.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• NJV6
      Valued Member
      • Sep 2010
      • New Zealand

Thanks OJ,

Unfortunatly for me the two main things are mutually exclusive! Road noise and strength. Traction less so, I have a set of 285/70's MT's for mud. I don't need ultimate strength - I'm never heavily loaded, strength for me is rocks when on skinny tracks above the snowline which are often sharp.

I am a little limited in sizes to go on my 9 inch rims as well, looking at 285/65/17 or 275/65/17. Currently have 265's on the 9 in rims and although legal, the rims are pretty exposed. Approx 25mm over standard.

General Grabber do that size in a LT and 118 load rating as well which i know nothing about.
      Last edited by NJV6; 13-06-19, 09:36 PM. Reason: Got tyre size wrong
      1994 NJ SWB, 3.5 Manual, 285/75/16 Deegan 38s MT, 25mm body lift, Twin ARB air lockers, XD9000 winch, custom bar.
      2011 NT GLX DiD, 3.2 Manual, 285/65/17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, SPV EGR, Lovells SD rear, HD front, Bilsteins, Custom underbody protection, Safari Snorkel, JTig intercooler and loads of zip ties in the dash...

Comment

• old Jack
        Regular
        • Jun 2011

Originally posted by NJV6 View Post
        Thanks OJ,

Unfortunatly for me the two main things are mutually exclusive! Road noise and strength. Traction less so, I have a set of 285/70's MT's for mud. I don't need ultimate strength - I'm never heavily loaded, strength for me is rocks when on skinny tracks above the snowline which are often sharp.

I am a little limited in sizes to go on my 9 inch rims as well, looking at 285/65/17 or 275/65/17. Currently have 265's on the 9 in rims and although legal, the rims are pretty exposed. Approx 25mm over standard.

General Grabber do that size in a LT and 118 load rating as well which i know nothing about.
        285/65R17 and 275/65R17 are not common size tyre so choice will limited. Even more limiting is 9" rims! A tyre that has been fitted to a wider rim than ideal is more likely to have failures in the shoulder and sidewalls af the tyre's.

In 285/65R17 in a mild AT, low noise tread pattern;
        Hankook ATM RF 10 116T
        Bridgestone D697 120S, also available in a 275/65R17.
        General Grabber AT3.

OJ.
        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.

Comment

• NJV6
          Valued Member
          • Sep 2010
          • New Zealand

Update, today I had Falken Wildpeak AT3W fitted in 285/65/17 121/118S. Instantly I noticed a ride improvement over the KO2’s. They are considerably quieter on smooth gravel and quieter on road. Still a bit of noise on rough coarse chip seal. To be fair to the BFG they were as quiet as these when new, just a bit firmer riding.
          My wheel rims are 35p so 11mm difference and these fill the guards nicely. Wheel chains will be tight on the front with hitting the mudflaps but that is not a major, I always carry one set of chains in the boot and throw another set in if going to the high country.

Comment

• Paj11
            • Jun 2017
            • Sydney

I was after some more info on the Pirelli Scorpion AT Plus, as they had no spec on the ply strength of the tyres, so spoke to a guy from Pirelli and said
            when looking on then web for other tyres and also on a forum I am on, ply rating is quoted often, eg 6 ply, 8 ply and 10 ply, for puncture resistance, load etc etc. He said they and industry have moved away from quoting ply rating since the 80s, as load and speed rating is the standard these days and he is surprised other manufacturers still quote ply rating, but he said in reference to my size tyre which is the 265/70/17 which is a 121 S then that would equate to a 10 ply, thought that interesting.
            Last edited by Paj11; 29-06-19, 11:02 AM. Reason: Missing info
            2011 30th Anniversary NT, TME Tuned, 2 inch Billies/Dobs lift HD rear/MD front. Arb Deluxe Bar, Mitsi Tow bar, LRA Aux tank, Clearview Mirrors, Tekonsha Electric Brake Controller, iDrive, Manta 3 inch Turbo back Exhaust, Provent Catch Can, Pirelli Scorpion AT Plus 265/70/17 all corners plus spare, 9 inch iluminators, 7 inch Stedi reverse flood light, Rhino Rack, Kings Side Awning.

Comment

• nj swb
              Resident
              • Jun 2007
              • Adelaide

Originally posted by Paj11 View Post
              ... on a forum I am on, ply rating is quoted often, eg 6 ply, 8 ply and 10 ply, for puncture resistance, load etc etc. He said they and industry have moved away from quoting ply rating since the 80s, as load and speed rating is the standard these days and he is surprised other manufacturers still quote ply rating, but he said in reference to my size tyre which is the 265/70/17 which is a 121 S then that would equate to a 10 ply, thought that interesting.
              Yes, the "ply rating" figures are an "equivalent to..." sort of thing, which does seem somewhat archaic when manufacturers can achieve a "10 ply rating" with two plies.

You can also look out for "Load Range", which is a letter. I believe Load Range C is 6 ply rating, D = 8 ply, E = 10 ply. Maximum cold inflation pressures are also an indication - from memory, 55 psi, 65 psi and 80 psi.
              NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• dean
                Valued Member
                • Jul 2007

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
                Yes, the "ply rating" figures are an "equivalent to..." sort of thing, which does seem somewhat archaic when manufacturers can achieve a "10 ply rating" with two plies.

You can also look out for "Load Range", which is a letter. I believe Load Range C is 6 ply rating, D = 8 ply, E = 10 ply. Maximum cold inflation pressures are also an indication - from memory, 55 psi, 65 psi and 80 psi.
                You're close.. Load C 6 ply etc correct.
                Re cold pressures...
                Passenger 35 or 44
                6 ply 51
                8 ply 65
                10 ply 80
                And yes load rating is the more "modern" way, at least here anyway.
                Either way if comparing tyres of the same size, and have the same load rating or ply rating or letter rating, ( most will have all listed ) you know they will have an equal carcass construction. The tread pattern etc will determine differences of course.
                Dean
                NM V6 since August 2000. Cargo Barrier, Satphone, Decent Suspension, Decent Tyres Eg. Any 10 PLY E Load Brand Not Important. Aux Tank, Rola Sports Racks/Basket, Decent Canvas Bag, Quality Esky. A Good Setup For Outback Touring/Desert Crossings.

Comment

• old Jack
                  Regular
                  • Jun 2011

Originally posted by dean View Post
                  Either way if comparing tyres of the same size, and have the same load rating or ply rating or letter rating, ( most will have all listed ) you know they will have an equal carcass construction. The tread pattern etc will determine differences of course.
                  Dean
                  Just because 2 tyres have the same load index, same load number or same ply rating it does not mean the carcass construction is identical. All it means is the tyre can take the specified load at the specified pressure. Different specification materials, different layer directions and different rubber compounds are used by different manufacturers so this means some tyres are tougher and more resistant to damage than others.

OJ.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X