• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ron.dunn
    • Jul 2019
    • Central Victoria

Took off Munji, engine runs poorly

My daughter, blessed little Princess that she is, has been on my back about removing the Munji EGR cable from my Pajero Sport.

To humour her, I removed it, only to find that the fuel consumption immediately jumped almost 2l/100km, and the car drove like it was swimming through porridge.

Put the cable back on, runs well.

Take the cable off, runs poorly.

I'm thinking ECU reset, or maybe just SQL, but I'm no expert.

What do others think?
    Last edited by ron.dunn; 24-10-19, 09:17 PM.
    Pajero Sport GLS
  • Dicko1
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2014
    • Cairns, FNQ

I dont understand what your daughter has to do with the Munji unit or why she is even interested. If she is worried about the pollution effect maybe she can buy a pushbike. Have you considered telling princess to mind her own business? Seems like a strange situation to me....
    Last edited by Dicko1; 25-10-19, 06:09 AM.
    Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• ron.dunn
      • Jul 2019
      • Central Victoria

I don't see it as a "strange situation", Dicko, just normal family dynamics.

I try to teach my kids to be competent around things including cars. My daughter is 14, but she knows how to fuel the car, check oil and water, and change a tyre ... as does my 10yo son, although he doesn't have the strength for a tyre yet.

They generally watch/help while I'm doing stuff on the car, which is why she understands the role of the Munji cable.

Recently she got bitten by the Scoldilocks bug, and now she's thinking more about emissions. That's OK, she's entitled to her own view. And if you've ever had a 14yo daughter, you'll know how passionate they can get at times.

I thought that the best way to handle the situation was to remove the cable, let the passion dissipate, then bring it back at some point in future. Is that so strange?
      Pajero Sport GLS

Comment

• disco stu
        Valued Member
        • Dec 2018
        • Wollongong

If her concerns are environmental, then I think using 2l/100km extra and running rough are going to be worse than no EGR, much worse.

Comment

• Dicko1
          Valued Member
          • Dec 2014
          • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by ron.dunn View Post
          I don't see it as a "strange situation", Dicko, just normal family dynamics.

I try to teach my kids to be competent around things including cars. My daughter is 14, but she knows how to fuel the car, check oil and water, and change a tyre ... as does my 10yo son, although he doesn't have the strength for a tyre yet.

They generally watch/help while I'm doing stuff on the car, which is why she understands the role of the Munji cable.

Recently she got bitten by the Scoldilocks bug, and now she's thinking more about emissions. That's OK, she's entitled to her own view. And if you've ever had a 14yo daughter, you'll know how passionate they can get at times.

I thought that the best way to handle the situation was to remove the cable, let the passion dissipate, then bring it back at some point in future. Is that so strange?

I have experience with 4 kids mate. 2 of each gender. I find it very strange actually. Maybe your facetious use of "princess" tells the story. Using the extra 2 litres is of no concern to her? If she thinks that using an extra 2 litres per hundred kilometers is a good thing then she needs reeducating. At an average of 15,000klms a year this means she is happy to needlessly burn 300 litres of diesel. $450 worth of fuel and money wasted for no reason. I wouldn't of pandered to her request.
          Dicko. FNQ

Comment

• old Jack
            Regular
            • Jun 2011
            • Adelaide, South Australia.

Not going there as far as parenting teenage daughters, except both my daughter are around 30 years old and ended up fairly normal people.

I know when I switch the EGR back on on my Challenger the changes take several 100kms to be really noticed, but fuel consumption increases by about 2 lt/100km, visible black smoke on acceleration and the engine feels "detuned".

The 4N Engine ECU looks at 3 different variable conditions when controlling the when and the amount the EGR valve opens.
            Engine Coolant must be over 80C.
            Air Inlet temperature must be 10C or greater.
            Engine RPM over 2500 rpm.

What I cannot determine is, if all 3 conditions need to be detected before the EGR operation or2 of the 3 or even 1 of the 3 of the above conditions.
            You should be able to see the operation of the EGR on a Scangauge or Ultragauge under each of the above conditions both individually and combined.

Can you see the EGR operating and does its operation line with the +2500rpm and +80C engine coolant parameters?

OJ.
            2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
            MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• ron.dunn
              • Jul 2019
              • Central Victoria

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
              Using the extra 2 litres is of no concern to her? If she thinks that using an extra 2 litres per hundred kilometers is a good thing then she needs reeducating.
              You're missing the point of the original question. Taking off the cable should not result in this behaviour. I was looking for opinions on whether an ECU reset or just an SQL might be the remedy.
              Pajero Sport GLS

Comment

• disco stu
                Valued Member
                • Dec 2018
                • Wollongong

Old Jack-is that behaviour of the car seen with an ECU reset, without, or the same regardless?

Ron-you're certainly not going to be causing any great issue resetting the ECU once you've taken the cable out, so I think it would be worth a go and comparing.

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                  Valued Member
                  • Aug 2016
                  • Greater Sydney

Recently she got bitten by the Scoldilocks bug, and now she's thinking more about emissions. That's OK, she's entitled to her own view.

Yes she is entitled to her own view as she should be. But for a 14 year old to force them on her father....

She can take her ruled with her when she sets up house.

Your house you rules.

Comment

• Dicko1
                    Valued Member
                    • Dec 2014
                    • Cairns, FNQ

I would have thought that the ecu would have learnt to operate the egr only when certain criteria are met. Swapping the plug out and going back to factory shouldn't be an issue (in my opinion). Maybe disconnect the battery for 5 minutes and let the ecu relearn its settings..... seems odd though

ps wish my NW used 2 litres less per 100 when I installed my egr block.(SPV)..saw no fuel improvement at all.
                    Dicko. FNQ

Comment

• ron.dunn
                      • Jul 2019
                      • Central Victoria

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
                      disconnect the battery for 5 minutes and let the ecu relearn its settings

ps wish my NW used 2 litres less per 100 when I installed my egr block.(SPV)..saw no fuel improvement at all.
                      Re battery, I disconnected it for 60 minutes prior to one of my tests. I think the Pajero Sport needs an MUT action to reset it.

Re 2l: I didn't save 2l/100km when I installed the Munji at 500km, but I'm seeing a 2l worsening when I take it off at 7000km.

My theory ... it has learned one set of behaviours, now it needs to unlearn them.
                      Last edited by ron.dunn; 25-10-19, 01:38 PM.
                      Pajero Sport GLS

Comment

• Dicko1
                        Valued Member
                        • Dec 2014
                        • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by ron.dunn View Post
                        Re battery, I disconnected it for 60 minutes prior to one of my tests. I think the Pajero Sport needs an MUT action to reset it.

Re 2l: I didn't save 2l/100km when I installed the Munji at 500km, but I'm seeing a 2l worsening when I take it off at 7000km.

My theory ... it has learned one set of behaviours, now it needs to unlearn them.

I think your on the money....the ecu is relearning. My mileage takes a while to settle down after a battery disconnect.
                        Dicko. FNQ

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X