• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nj swb
    Resident
    • Jun 2007
    • Adelaide

Gen 4 Paddle Shift - Install Kit

Update 11/4/2019: I can now offer a revised kit at a better price; please see this thread for details.

As per the DIY thread here I figured out how to install shift paddles into my NT, and friends have subsequently installed paddles into NW and NX.

A friend suggested that some might be interested in buying an "install kit', with all the cutting, grinding & soldering already done, ready for install.

So after, preparing and selling a number of kits for others, I can offer an install kit for this modification, with instructions. As second-hand parts became harder to find I've had to find other solutions, which has unfortunately driven the price up. The good news is that the kits are now assembled using all new parts; no issues with scratched or worn wrecker parts, or waiting for another suitable wreck to turn up.

The original install kit did not plug & play into NS. The harness adaptor connectors are different, as is the circuit in the car. However, I have sourced the appropriate bits and pieces, and can now manufacture NS compatible harnesses on demand, using all new components. Because the harnesses are different, please specify when ordering which vehicle you have: NS, or NT/NW/NX. There is no difference in the price.

As of July 2017, the forum member price for a complete kit is $360 plus freight. Freight is typically $25 to cities and regional centres; I haven't yet shipped a kit to a more expensive location.

I can improve pricing for members who are able to collect, beyond the cost of the freight; PM me for details.

The kit includes:
    • The paddle shift assembly, modified to fit inside Pajero steering column covers
    • Screws to mount the shift assembly
    • A new lower column cover with slots pre-cut to suit the paddles
    • A couple of custom plastic pieces to support the bottom of the paddle frame
    • A Plug & Play wiring harness - no wire cutting or soldering required

Initially, I was supplying upper and lower steering column covers; now I'm only supplying lower, and instructions include some minor trimming inside the upper cover.

I've attached a PDF of the Installation Instructions to this post, for those who might be interested in the details. I've also attached a PDF of the marked-up circuit diagram, so you can see how simple the circuit really is.

I have been manufacturing kits in small batches, and normally have some ready to go. Worst case, I can prepare a kit in a couple of days, depending on my other commitments at the time.

I'm only doing this for those who don't have the time or the confidence to DIY - all the DIY information remains available for those who prefer that route.

Please note:

- This install kit only allows the paddles to operate in Sports mode; to have the full factory-like functionality of being able to use the paddles any time, you'll need to also purchase m_and_m's awesome paddle-mate; for details, click here.
    - This install kit is designed for plug & play interface to paddle-mate - those who DIY paddles will also need to DIY the paddle-mate install.

If anybody is interested, send me a PM.
    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box
  • Lando
    Valued Member
    • May 2013
    • Lake Maquarie NSW

In!! PM on the way
    MY14 NW GLX-R

This thing goes freaking everywhere!!

Comment

• Pickle
      Administrator
      • Jun 2007
      • All over Oz

My favorite mod After installing this unit just recently it works a treat. Took me about 3 hours being very carefull. Instructions pretty clear so no hassles fitting up.
      Good work Scott. Well worth the $$$$$
      dave
      NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
      Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

• insect_eater
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2015
        • Canberra

Looks great, I'd love to fit these.

But do I still have to push the clutch in, or do the paddles operate a servo motor to depress the clutch as required?

Last edited by insect_eater; 28-03-17, 09:09 PM. Reason: forgot to add wink ;)
        NX GLX manual, T13, XD9000, Koni RAID, Ultragauge, ISI carrier, pioneer platform, Lithium auxillary

Comment

• RUGGA
          Valued Member
          • Nov 2014
          • Adelaide

Originally posted by insect_eater View Post
          Looks great, I'd love to fit these.

But do I still have to push the clutch in, or do the paddles operate a servo motor to depress the clutch as required?
          Auto only
          02 NM 3.2, Auto, Exceed, I/C and sump guards, L&B 2" lift, 265/75/16 OPAT2.

Comment

• craka
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2009
            • Newcastle (Newie)

Ok I like the cool factor of this but other than that why ? Or am I missing something completely obvious?
            NS SWB X 3.2DiD - Factory locker, Hella spotties, GME UHF, 2" lift

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.

Comment

• Lando
              Valued Member
              • May 2013
              • Lake Maquarie NSW

So many times ive been a bit crossed up white knuckling the wheel and had to let go of one hand to grab a gear...when i could have just lifted a finger and shifted with much more control of the wheel

Not that taking my hand off the wheel put me in any danger....just that it would feel smoother and id always be able to have two hands on the wheel rather than a hand on the shifter cycling gears

Im all for it.....even tonight driving home changing gears with the stick i pretended i had the paddles...smiled...nodded to myself and said yes this is gunna be gewd...lol
              MY14 NW GLX-R

This thing goes freaking everywhere!!

Comment

• pjchris
                • Jun 2007

PM sent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                2012 NW Platinum DiD, 2" Lift, Bar & Winch, Driving Lights, Dual Battery, Snorkel.

Soon to be Ex- 2002 NM Exceed 3.2DiD, Lifted, PSI Powerbox, Bullbar, HID Driving Lights.

Comment

• ticky
                  Valued Member
                  • Jan 2015
                  • Adelaide

Well Done Scott. Thats pretty cool and looks standard.

Steve
                  2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: ARB Deluxe Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Comment

• starjunk
                    Valued Member
                    • Mar 2011
                    • Sydney

Very nice job Scott, thanks for offering members the choice of instructions for DIY or the very reasonably priced kit. Very generous and community-minded of you - it is this sort of generosity that makes a forum community great!
                    Almost makes me wish my NS was Auto..... Almost.
                    '92 NH GLS LWB 3.0V6 A/T ...sold Please DON'T consider
                    '06 NP VR-X LWB Turbo Diesel Sports A/T..sold Please consider
                    '96 NJ GLX LWB Turbo Diesel M/T..sold . Loved that car
                    '08 NS GLX LWB Turbo Diesel M/T...daily driver. Wake up and Drive!

Comment

• nj swb
                      Resident
                      • Jun 2007
                      • Adelaide

Originally posted by ticky View Post
                      Well Done Scott. Thats pretty cool and looks standard.

Steve
                      Thanks Steve. I was happy with mine, and a few friends have been happy with theirs. But today's response was slightly better than I imagined (and we missed you, btw...)

Originally posted by starjunk View Post
                      Very nice job Scott, thanks for offering members the choice of instructions for DIY or the very reasonably priced kit. Very generous and community-minded of you - it is this sort of generosity that makes a forum community great!
                      Thanks.

Originally posted by starjunk View Post
                      Almost makes me wish my NS was Auto..... Almost.
                      I understand. I originally did this so I could pretend I had a little more control over my trans, but I never anticipated I would use the paddles as much as I do. Today, driving my manual toy, I found myself searching for the paddles. I want to change gears myself, but its so much easier when you can change gears with your hands on the wheel.
                      NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Axis
                        Valued Member
                        • Jul 2011
                        • Highett Vic

This is awesome. If I had an auto I'd be in!
                        07 NS DiD GLX Manual, Alloy Bullbar, 2" lift, Bilstein shocks, King Springs, Kumho MT51, Oricom UHF088, Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Airtec Snorkel, Bushskinz Intercooler Guard, Boo's Sump and Tansmission Bash Plates

Comment

• ticky
                          Valued Member
                          • Jan 2015
                          • Adelaide

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
                          Thanks Steve. I was happy with mine, and a few friends have been happy with theirs. But today's response was slightly better than I imagined (and we missed you, btw...)
                          Thanks Scott, I was also disappointed I couldn't make it.
                          I Trust a good time was had by all. Things should get easier soon I think.

Have a good trip mate

Steve
                          2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: ARB Deluxe Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Comment

• nj swb
                            Resident
                            • Jun 2007
                            • Adelaide

Originally posted by craka View Post
                            Ok I like the cool factor of this but other than that why ? Or am I missing something completely obvious?
                            This is a very good question, and I suspect it's a case of "you don't know what you're missing until you've tried it" - which is not to say that this mod is for everybody, but for some people, it will make a significant difference.

I drove Shorty with a manual transmission for many years, and never missed anything (other than more power, better handling and better fuel economy, but paddles don't help with that).

Before I bought my NT I had already witnessed the benefits that autos can offer under some conditions, primarily the super-fast gear changes under testing off-road conditions - try charging up a soft sand dune, and making a snap down-change when speed has dropped below peak torque. So the NT's Sports mode worked well to restore some measure of control to an automatic transmission.

But I'd experienced a Golf with the flappy paddles, and missed being able to control the transmission from the steering wheel. So the modification was originally developed primarily as a challenge, to see if it was possible. But once I started using it, I quickly realised how much more lively it made the vehicle, driving in Sports mode and using the paddles to ensure the right gear. And then I took it to the High Country, and discovered how much it changes the vehicle in the right circumstances. With fingertip control, gears can be changed up and down as often as you want, almost without thought, without removing your hands from the wheel. On some of the tracks, it's a constant balancing act to pick the right line, the right speed, the right gear. Obviously, this can be achieved in a manual, or in a standard auto, but having the ability to subconsciously change gears without moving your hands from the wheel creates a different driving experience. Better or worse is up to individual interpretation; but now that I have a vested interest I should keep quiet and let others with paddles offer their opinions.

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Maximage
                              • Mar 2013
                              • Darch, Perth, WA

VERY interested. Used to have a Subaru 3.0R with flappy paddles and really miss the feature.

Does the lever need to be across in Sports for the paddles to work? Eg, in the Subi, if you were in Auto and flipped a paddle it would down shift and then after a few seconds revert back to full auto. Great for zipping through round-abouts, as you get to the round-about, flip it down a gear or two, and then as you are exiting it would revert to auto and off you'd go on your merry way.
                              SOLD: 2013 DiD VRX, MM locker, Dueller 697s, ARB bull bar, Runva EWX9500-Q winch, full Bushskinz plates and sliders, Lovells/Bilsteins with PolyAirs, Airtec snorkel, Jonny Tig Front Mount Intercooler, Pacemaker 3" exhaust, RalliArt ECU, FuelManager diesel pre-filter, EGR block & catch can, BRC breathers, Hella 4000 HIDs, LED Light Bar, BCDC dual battery system, Tow Pro Elite brake controller, Couplertec, spare tyre lift, Whispbar roof racks.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X