• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sharkcaver
    "2000"+ Valued Contributor
    • May 2009
    • Perth

Caching the South West

I caught up with a few like minded geocachers early January for a week down in the South West. Unfortunately, I had an audio fail with one of the GoPro's, so some parts are missing, others have my narration post event. Edging ever closer to 100,000Km's of trips away since 2011 - I have had a commemorative pathtag (coin) minted for the milestone.

If your kids steal your GoPro, you will get hacked...haha
    Last edited by sharkcaver; 11-02-19, 03:34 AM.
    MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys
  • sharkcaver
    • May 2009
    • Perth

The journey down south continues with part II:

MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• sharkcaver
      • May 2009
      • Perth

And the finale, with failed audio on my main cam Made it hard to complete the series, but I started it, so I had to finisg it.

My Journeys

Comment

• littleriver
        Valued Member
        • Jan 2013
        • Queensland

Great viewing in our wonderful country ... those geocaches are in some hard to reach places ...

Would you ever consider a drone ? .. totally different perspective...

Keep it up .. enjoy watching your adventures...

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• sharkcaver
          • May 2009
          • Perth

Originally posted by littleriver View Post
          Great viewing in our wonderful country ... those geocaches are in some hard to reach places ...

Would you ever consider a drone ? .. totally different perspective...

Keep it up .. enjoy watching your adventures...

Thanks mate. yep, I like those long lost caches. See my nichol's Knob post from May last year for example.

Yep, I would most definitely consider a drone. However, I don't get enough time to film now, I can only imaging the time required for drone footage as well. It my become an evolution of mine one day. Right at this point in time, I'm holding back.

My Journeys

Comment

• littleriver
            Valued Member
            • Jan 2013
            • Queensland

Originally posted by sharkcaver View Post
            Thanks mate. yep, I like those long lost caches. See my nichol's Knob post from May last year for example.

Yep, I would most definitely consider a drone. However, I don't get enough time to film now, I can only imaging the time required for drone footage as well. It my become an evolution of mine one day. Right at this point in time, I'm holding back.
            They are becoming more affordable and the technology is amazing gps.. dji spark is valve for money in true HD .. 15 min Fly time per battery x2 batteries is recommended .. 3 mins useable footage 2 hours to edit .. beats sitting through a slide show ...

With a go pro combination makes it cinematic...

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• sharkcaver
              • May 2009
              • Perth

They are becoming more affordable and the technology is amazing gps.. dji spark is valve for money in true HD .. 15 min Fly time per battery x2 batteries is recommended .. 3 mins useable footage 2 hours to edit .. beats sitting through a slide show ...

With a go pro combination makes it cinematic...

It's not really the cost that's holding me back. A lack of knowledge but mostly the time and space factor is my killer atm.

Why does it take 2 hours to edit 3 min's of footage?

My Journeys

Comment

• Phil
                Valued Member
                • Aug 2008
                • Sydney

Excellent stuff as always.

Do you have a preferred Geocaching app, I'd like to get the kids involved on our next trip.
                MY05 NP DiD Auto Platinum. Custom scratches. ARB bar & 12000lbs winch. Maxxis Bighorns. BushSkinz Bash plates & slidders. TJM auto guard. Gear box, trans & diff breathers. Rhino racks & Pod. Awning with LED. Dual batteries. HID Narva 225's. Airtec snorkel. 2" Lovell/Bilstein lift. GME TX3500. Wetseat covers. Pioneer BT deck. Cargo barrier. Beaudesert exhaust. Rear storage & CF80. ARB onboard air. NS 18s for the black top, 80L LRA tank. HPD Catch Can. HPD Intercooler.

Comment

• old Jack
                  Regular
                  • Jun 2011
                  • Adelaide, South Australia.

Geocaching is a great way to get older kids and especially teenagers out of the city, so they get the benefits of exploring and discovering the natural environment and history. It seems most kids get withdrawal symptoms if they do not have a device with a screen on it in their hand so give them a GPS, UHF, hat, backpack food water, good pair of shoes and sunscreen, and let them lose after some training.

Well done Shane for managing to get your daughter to share your travels, she will benefit from the skills she learns and the real life experiences.

OJ.
                  2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                  MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• littleriver
                    Valued Member
                    • Jan 2013
                    • Queensland

Originally posted by sharkcaver View Post
                    It's not really the cost that's holding me back. A lack of knowledge but mostly the time and space factor is my killer atm.

Why does it take 2 hours to edit 3 min's of footage?
                    Say for 4 days we film 1hr ( there are multiple short clips ) in the movie editor we compile 10 second seens of different locations .. editing in the preferred song .. fading and cross fading... well one could easily put 1hr of filming and lay over music .. but we found not many people would sit down to watch it all ...

Comment

• sharkcaver
                      • May 2009
                      • Perth

Say for 4 days we film 1hr ( there are multiple short clips ) in the movie editor we compile 10 second seens of different locations .. editing in the preferred song .. fading and cross fading... well one could easily put 1hr of filming and lay over music .. but we found not many people would sit down to watch it all ...

Gotcha. I read your comment literally : 3 mins of recorded vid took 2 hours to edit. - meaning 3 minutes of upload, not final product. Yep, editing takes time for sure. One day I need to find an editor where I can do picture in picture for when I run multiple camera's.

My Journeys

Comment

• sharkcaver
                        • May 2009
                        • Perth

Originally posted by Phil View Post
                        Excellent stuff as always.

Do you have a preferred Geocaching app, I'd like to get the kids involved on our next trip.
                        I'm an android person, so for me C:Geo it is.

That said, my primary tool is a handheld GPS rather than my tab or phone. With C:Geo, I can save caches in an area for offline use. I can export that file to .gpx and I then upload that file to both the Oregon 700 handheld and my incar navigation tablet running ozi explorer android. Drive close by with the waypoints now showing on ozi in car, then jump out and grab the handheld for the final approach to ground zero.

Mate, give it a go. Its easy to do, its free (most caches anyway), it will take you to some amazing places and the kids will have a ball - for now anyway. The interest from mine has waned a little in regards to caches.

My Journeys

Comment

• sharkcaver
                          • May 2009
                          • Perth

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                          Geocaching is a great way to get older kids and especially teenagers out of the city, so they get the benefits of exploring and discovering the natural environment and history. It seems most kids get withdrawal symptoms if they do not have a device with a screen on it in their hand so give them a GPS, UHF, hat, backpack food water, good pair of shoes and sunscreen, and let them lose after some training.

Well done Shane for managing to get your daughter to share your travels, she will benefit from the skills she learns and the real life experiences.

OJ.
                          Thanks OJ. I agree, anything that gets kids out of their screens and into the open air doing activities is the best thing for them. I had to laugh in part II when charlie 4 gets to the top of the Dave Evans tree (where I pretty well bump my head - shit, that hurt) and he turns to his phone and says "I think I'll go live on instagram now" haha - bloody kids......

My Journeys

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X