• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Skexis
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2012
    • Adelaide

Towing

Hey all I drive a 3.5 NP Exceed, auto. I need to tow a load of new floor tiles. In total I need 90 boxes weighing 22.5Kg each so I'm looking at 2 trips of just over 1000kg each plus the trailer weight which I think is 750Kg so the total should be somewhere around 1760Kg per trip. Now the tricky bit as far as I am concerned is the towball weight as I know sod all about towing. I think it has a max load of 250Kg so if I spread the load evenly in a 7x5 trailer will I be ok or is it getting too close to the limit?

I suppose an alternative is to hire a light truck with a tail lift for a day but that would be too easy.
    "When strangers meet, great allowances should be made for differences of custom and training". The Lady Jessica - Wisdom of Arrakis
  • Lance
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2009
    • Melbourne

I haven't re-read the thread but perhaps while you're waiting for further response have a look at this.............

2005 NP Platinum Edition, DiD Auto
    2009 VW Crafter motorhome

Comment

• old Jack
      Regular
      • Jun 2011
      • Adelaide, South Australia.

Hi Skexis,

As you have already said hiring a small light truck with a tailgate lift and a pallet hand truck is the easiest option.

However if you want to pursue the trailer option then I can assist with the calculations if I know the kerb weight of the trailer, the length of the drawbar, the length and width of the trailer bed internally, the position of the axle/s in relation to the trailer bed and the dimension of the boxes. With 45 boxes per trailer load you may need to load 30ish evenly and then the remaining 15ish boxes centrally over the axle/s.
      No more than 10 minutes of calculations once I have all the info.

OJ.
      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
      MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• nj swb
        Resident
        • Jun 2007
        • Adelaide

Originally posted by Skexis View Post
        Hey all I drive a 3.5 NP Exceed, auto. I need to tow a load of new floor tiles. In total I need 90 boxes weighing 22.5Kg each so I'm looking at 2 trips of just over 1000kg each plus the trailer weight which I think is 750Kg so the total should be somewhere around 1760Kg per trip. Now the tricky bit as far as I am concerned is the towball weight as I know sod all about towing. I think it has a max load of 250Kg so if I spread the load evenly in a 7x5 trailer will I be ok or is it getting too close to the limit?
        How far will you be towing them, at what sort of speed?

If we're talking suburban driving at 60km/h or less, you're over-thinking the problem. Distribute the load evenly over the trailer, make sure it is nose-heavy - difficult to lift the jockey wheel off the ground, but not so heavy you can't lift it. Shuffle the load around until you can do that, consider how to stop the load moving forward under brakes.

If you're talking longer drives at highway speeds, go with OJ's help.
        NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• nj swb
          Resident
          • Jun 2007
          • Adelaide

Originally posted by Lance View Post
          I haven't re-read the thread but perhaps while you're waiting for further response have a look at this.............

http://caravanersforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=58222
          I read that thread. I think I damaged my IQ reading the first page, but the second page is better.

I'm really concerned about some van manufacturers - 2480kg ATM with a 350kg ball weight? And one poster was arguing that a 10% ball weight is too low!
          NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Roofchop
            • Jul 2018
            • Carool, Australia

I just bought 35 bags of concrete mix 20kgs each 700gks....inside my Paj put about 10 in the front foot well/seat the rest evenly in the back.....

Aired up the tyres to 45psi, was not on the bumpstops at all on a 20 minute journey.

Std suspension, no lift!

I took it easy and had no problems!

Dave
            2007 NS 3.8 V6 GLX Auto

Comment

• Skexis
              Valued Member
              • Dec 2012
              • Adelaide

Decided to get a tail lift truck in the end as the tiles can be loaded via pallet and at my end no one will have to bend down to lift tbem off the truck. Thanks all
              "When strangers meet, great allowances should be made for differences of custom and training". The Lady Jessica - Wisdom of Arrakis

Comment

• Lance
                Valued Member
                • Aug 2009
                • Melbourne

Good thinkin, makes the job a lot easier and safer
                2005 NP Platinum Edition, DiD Auto
                2009 VW Crafter motorhome

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...