• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pushbike
    • Jun 2017
    • Sydney

Knee Pad Drivers Side

Hi,
    I suffer from arthritis of the Knee joints, particularly the inside of the right knee.
    My driving position is such that with right foot on the accelerator my right knee kicks towards the door. After a while this aggravates the inside joint.
    As a remedy I made a cushion/ rest. It tends to keep the knee almost straight.
    It also provides an absorbent surface for a summer sweaty knee.
    It allows access to the arm rest window controls and doesn't impede the opening of the door.

The pad is made from a hand towel, a piece of pool noodle, some black bias tape and some velcro tabs.
    And a sewing machine is handy.

I haven't come up with a solution to the handbrake digging into the left knee, any suggestions.
    Attached Files
    Pajero NX GLX MY17, OEM Rubber mats, OEM Towbar and tongue, After market Rev. Sensors, MSA4x4 seat covers, OEM nudge bar.

Remember the science demonstration of a table covered with mouse traps loaded with ping pong balls and the teacher drops a ping pong ball into the middle.
    Well, the ball has been dropped.
  • paceman
    Valued Member
    • Feb 2018
    • Mackay

maybe use the pool noodle on the handbrake handle?

shave it down to a smaller diameter, if you have to?
    Paceman's NT Pajero

Comment

• Pushbike
      • Jun 2017
      • Sydney

Knee pad

Hi Paceman,
      Nothing like a bit of feedback to stimulate change.
      Dug through my odds and sods and found a foam ball, original use as a grip exercise ball or for throwing away for a dog to fetch?. Anyway I will try it out.

Punched hole with wood vyce and a piece of square section al. tube.
      Not as hard as tennis ball or the pool noodle. Pool noodles disintegrate after prolonged exposure to sunlight.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Pushbike; 01-08-19, 12:49 PM. Reason: Added picture
      Pajero NX GLX MY17, OEM Rubber mats, OEM Towbar and tongue, After market Rev. Sensors, MSA4x4 seat covers, OEM nudge bar.

Remember the science demonstration of a table covered with mouse traps loaded with ping pong balls and the teacher drops a ping pong ball into the middle.

Comment

• Ian H
        Valued Member
        • May 2015
        • Melbourne

I've got a 3 plug cig lighter extension attached to the wall below the hand brake and if I move my leg over to try and rest on the handbrake, I rest on that first. Maybe a pad attached to the same spot would work better than anything on the brake lever.

I don't want to sound like a smart arse but if I'm in the driving position, I find it very difficult for either leg to touch the brake lever or the door unless I push the seat forward to the point where it's uncomfortable. Are you sure that moving your seat back a bit won't help ?
        Attached Files
        2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• Pushbike
          • Jun 2017
          • Sydney

Hi Ian H,
          I'm about 1.8m tall and have set the seat position wrt various parameters e.g arm attitude to wheel (fairly straight) and the second row seats are always folded. The driving position overall is working for me, it's just that my legs splay out and contact the door and the hand brake. As stated in the earlier post this aggravates my arthritis.

By the way I deliberately selected the GLX because the seat squab has two adjustments, in particular the front adjustment allows you to set the front edge low which can remove the pressure (force pivot) point from under the thighs.
          My physio says that this can minimize lower back ache induced by long driving sessions. I believe, from long experience, that this is true.
          Short people(passengers in Kombi's) that cannot rest their feet/legs because the squab is too high need to use a foot rest to lift their thighs off the front edge of the seat.

Note my use of the word "can", it is used extensively with "may" in those adverts for appliances and concoctions claimed to cure all sorts of health problems.
          While I'm at it, Another thing that annoys me is that I can't spell (mainly incorrect vowels) and have to repeatably resort to my dictionary.
          Anyway thanks for your feedback.
          Last edited by Pushbike; 22-07-21, 05:05 PM.

Comment

• geopaj
            Valued Member
            • Jul 2007
            • Adelaide

Have you also installed a footrest? It was one of the best mods I’ve done for driving comfort?

Originally posted by geopaj View Post
            Driver's Foot Rest

Anyway, back to the NT...

No idea why Mr Mitsubishi decided to delete a proper driver's footrest in NT+ models. As per this thread (http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...light=Footrest) I added a genuine NS footrest. Much more comfortable. To my surprise, the genuine rubber mats fit perfectly round the NS footrest.

About $30 from Amayama

Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• Pushbike
              • Jun 2017
              • Sydney

geopag,
              Seeing as I'm on at the moment I thought I would answer your question Re: foot rest.
              Have a look at this post : https://www.pajeroforum.com.au/forum...e2#post1085168

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
                Valued Member
                • May 2017
                • Sydney

Originally posted by Pushbike View Post
                By the way I deliberately selected the GLX because the seat squab has two adjustments, in particular the front adjustment allows you to set the front edge low which can remove the pressure (force pivot) point from under the thighs.
                Hang on, do the higher specs not have this??

Comment

• spot01
                  Valued Member
                  • Apr 2011
                  • Adelaide

Originally posted by HeavyPizzaz View Post
                  Hang on, do the higher specs not have this??
                  They do - the electric seat has separate front & rear height adjust, so same result as the manual adjust in lower models. The power seats also have a lumbar adjustment not fitted to the manual seats.
                  Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• Pushbike
                    • Jun 2017
                    • Sydney

In defense of my statement regarding the seat tilt. I had previous experience with a Holden Commodore Acclaim - electric adjustable driver seat which had the ability to tilt the seat.
                    So when I had a look at the Pajero I tested the front seat adjust on the GLS and either I didn't push it hard enough to get it to tilt or the year/model (GLS) I was looking at did not have that adjustment.

I was looking at both retail and auction vehicles. So I leave it up to GLS owners to test this out as they please.

My experience with the Holden was that the electric motor adjustment would slip so that it would lose the tilt setting. And or service staff would fiddle with the seat adjustment.

I'm very happy with my GLX (so far).

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X