• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kieran
    • Aug 2019
    • Underwood

Rattle / Clatter when idle in drive

Hi All, my my09 (late 08 built) NT Pajero has developed a strangle rattle when idle in drive e.g. sitting at the lights, it's also notable when easing off the accelerator e.g. when coasting towards a stop. The noise goes away when the revs go above idle or you put it into neutral when at the lights. I've uploaded a video of it to youtube and was wondering if anyone might be able to shed any light on the likely cause/s - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKZReRxLyuk . I'm thinking that it might be the timing chain tensioner or valve clearance is off, but wouldn't the noise get louder when RPM goes over idle? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
  • DGM
    • Oct 2007
    • SE Melb

Hi Kieran, I had a strange noise under my car at one stage. I do have a set of the bash plates. It turned out to be the exhaust rattling down onto the plate. Varied from when it was in neutral or idling at traffic lights. Adjusted the exhaust so it had a little bit more clearance and then it stopped the noise. Not sure if this is something you have or your sure that it is in the engine area?
    Duncan
    ------------------------------------------------------
    MY21 NX GLS not much done to it yet, catch can, uhf

2007 NS VRX 3.2 Diesel Auto, ARB Bar, Warn winch, IPFs, Dual Bat, GME TX3440 UHF, Custom rear storage, BFGs, Suspension upgrade

Comment

• tonee
      • Jun 2019
      • Queensland

Try have someone in the car put it on drive with the brakes for you and have a listen under the bonnet.

It sounds like something is loose. Bonnet latch, airbox, engine cover etc

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

Comment

• aussieintas
        Valued Member
        • Feb 2013
        • Sorell, Tasmania

Hard to diagnose from the video but look at the simple things first before thinking possible bigger issue. I wouldnt says its timing chain or valve clearence based on the video.

I had a metalic rattle a year or so ago, similar where it would only do it at certain revs and not do it when in neutral. Ended up being a small metal bracket on the exhaust had broken its weld right under the passenger floor area.

As tonee says get a helper to be in the car with brakes on, have a listen under bonnet and under car to narrow down location of rattle. If coming from under the car kick or move the exhaust to see if it stops it or press on the bash plates.
        2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
        88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
        92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
        92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
        99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
        95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
        08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• Seigried
          Valued Member
          • Apr 2016
          • brisbane

If you have a provent make sure the lids is on and that the bracket isnt touching anything at low idle speed.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Pwoffey
            Valued Member
            • Jul 2013
            • Adelaide

How many km has the Paj done? Lots of corrugated roads in its history? Once you have checked as many individual items as possible for breaks, looseness etc as others have advised, just check if the engine mounts are not worn out. My NW was behaving very similarly to yours; as soon as I stabilised the exhaust, just by touching it, all the noise ceased, but there was nothing wrong with the exhaust itself or any of its mounting points. Turned out both the rubber engine mounts were worn, almost shredded, and very asymmetrical. The other symptom I had, apart from the clacking, was that when first starting the car in the morning there was a clunk as the engine positioned itself on the damaged mounts. Anyway worth checking if nothing else obvious is loose.
            BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX Auto, Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni Raid 90 front, Dobinson IMLrear shocks with Kings 34-HD springs front, 35-EHD rear, Brown Davis i/c, sump and transmission bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager pre-filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, Piranha steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, HPD catch can, LockUp Mate, Harrop front e-locker, DBA T3 rotors and Xtreme pads, Mark's 4WD reduction gears

Comment

• Kieran
              • Aug 2019
              • Underwood

Thanks all for the suggestions guys. I had my wife sit in the driver seat with the brakes on but couldn't reproduce the rattle. The car has done 180,000 but I've only had it for a bit over a year. It has a provent catch can but no after market bash plates. I might get it up on the ramps over the weekend and see if I can find anything loose.

Comment

• Seigried
                Valued Member
                • Apr 2016
                • brisbane

Do you still have your bonnet stops? If not your bonnet could be the cause. But not while its up

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Kingmarz
                  Valued Member
                  • Dec 2016
                  • South Island New Zealand

I had a nasty knock/rattle in my old Challenger 4m40 at idle and that turned out to be a cracked flex plate Which only cost $70 to replace but took a whole day and a half to install. Some thing happened again about six months later.
                  02 NM Pajero 3.2 DID Auto with Snorkel, Turbosmart Dual Stage Boost Controller, Kinugawa 15T Hybrid turbo with 56mm Billet compressor wheel and extended tips, 2” lift, 3” straight through turbo back exhaust, EGR Removal, ECU Piggyback Chip, Raw Nitro shockies, 22” Black Rhino wheels & 33x12.5 mud tyres, EGT, boost and engine temp gauges, catch can, Synergy 4b Ronbox, K&N air filter, 320x300 Front mount intercooler with 3” polished inlet piping, 4 Bar MAP sensor @29psi many other mods

Comment

• Kieran
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Underwood

I think I've found the cause or least narrowed it down. Took off the plastic engine shroud / cover and went for a drive and couldn't couldn't reproduce the rattle. It was on reasonably tight with no loose screws so my best guess is it's pressing on something it shouldn't.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X