• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blackdragon
    • Apr 2014
    • tennant creek, NT

best intentions finally happened

funny how life gets in the way, busy with work and other projects anyway after what must be a couple of years I finally got motivated and attacked a long outstanding job on the shorty. Purchased a new upgrade turbo for it couple years ago as it was a little lacking due to the 31x10.5 tyres. only a slight upgrade (30%) increase in boost/torque but thats all i wanted without raising concerns of over stressing the motor. figured whilst I was at it, time to upgrade the exhaust system as well, which was to be full 2.5 inch system from turbo back to help it breath better.

Good thing the easter break came along and after originally contemplating weekend away camping the voices in my head argued strongly that it was time to get this project done. So I did it! started out removing the complete original exhaust and turbo which ironically is still in good nic. (under 200k) tidied up few unrelated matters in the engine bay at same time and slipped in an oil/filter change as it too, was overdue. Got the new turbo all set up and went to mount it only to discover the wastegate actuator fouled against the oil filter. the original turbo had the 5 bolt outlet and as such the actuator pushed down from the top. i wanted the other type which had a 3 bolt outlet which makes for a much easier job with fabricating the new dump pipe. lesson learnt but managed to find a compromise and modified the actuator so it didnt foul the oil filter. made few other mods to inlet hoses etc and the first part was done.

The fun part was next, the new exhaust. The oem exhaust was a bit restrictive and common perception is to go for at least a 2.5 inch system. to be honest I think a 3 inch would have been too big, theres simply not enough room. The dump pipe turned out a treat and then used a flexi joint to minimise vibes, followed by a 400 mm straight thru hotdog before continuing along under neath, over the axle and to the back. lots of brainstorming working out the angles, where to weld the numerous bends etc and joiner clamps and at last to see it finished.

Packed away the tools (turned blind eye to pool of oil on floor) and with a fair bit of trepidation I cranked her over. Was very surprised how quiet it was, just a wee bit of note but nothing to attract the boys in blue.

Took her for a spin and again was really impressed with the increase in HP and torque, not massive but way above my expectations. In all, a worthwhile mod and now a pleasure to drive.
    Last edited by blackdragon; 22-04-19, 11:17 PM. Reason: gremlin keyboard
    '91 NH SWB (import) intercooled turbo 4D56T, Manual, factory mags 31x10.5 15's, alloy bulbar, snorkel, UHF, Rhino alloy rack, sunroof, bonnet bug deflector, LED light bars, driving lights, air bags, new shockies, polished stainless rear ladder, GPS, on board air, telescopic rear light, 60ltr fridge/freezer, dual battery system plus aux batteries, comprehensive set gauges, security system, air horns, on board solar panels, roof lightbar/spotties, worklights, towbar, rear bumper lights,
  • Dicko1
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2014
    • Cairns, FNQ

Sounds like an enjoyable Easter...
    Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• blackdragon
      • Apr 2014
      • tennant creek, NT

lol, it had its moments but won in the end. tackling timing belts and water pump next
      '91 NH SWB (import) intercooled turbo 4D56T, Manual, factory mags 31x10.5 15's, alloy bulbar, snorkel, UHF, Rhino alloy rack, sunroof, bonnet bug deflector, LED light bars, driving lights, air bags, new shockies, polished stainless rear ladder, GPS, on board air, telescopic rear light, 60ltr fridge/freezer, dual battery system plus aux batteries, comprehensive set gauges, security system, air horns, on board solar panels, roof lightbar/spotties, worklights, towbar, rear bumper lights,

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
      Working...
      X