• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Richo-NT
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2009
    • Brisbane

Kings / Bilstein Combo

Hi all, after a hell of a lot of consideration, trawling through the search history of many a 4WDing forum and after speaking to a number of different suspension "experts" (salesmen) I have finally decided on a King springs and Bilstein shock suspension combo.

I know from doing some search's that a number of people on this forum have this combo or similar fitted to their Pajero's, I was just wondering if anyone could give a long term update on how this setup has been working for them and any issues they may have had.

My car is an NT but i'm sure it would make little difference to the way the suspension works whether fitted to anything post NM as obviously the suspension hardware has been constant all the way through.

Thanks in advance.
    2009 NT Pajero GLX 3.2 Auto - Sold
  • Walker
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2007

My Bisteins are great, but am not that happy with the King Springs. I bought the HD springs and after 14 months I am now back down to standard height. Not sure if I just got a dud set of springs or if I carry too much weight but I will be looking for another set of springs soon.
    thanks,

Adam

2010 Prado ZR 150 SWB
    1987 Range Rover Ute

You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. - Homer Simpson

Comment

• psproule
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2007
      • Googong, NSW

Ditto - replaced 2" lifted pedders springs that had seen a lot of duty with 2" lifted kings. The rears have sagged 1.5" on their original installed height in 18 months. The fronts 1"..

Walker and I are not the only ones who have had trouble with sag. I'm surprised your web search didnt turn up more as I have seen many postings complaining of same.

Pat
      2016 Mitsubishi NX Pajero GLX
      2011 Landrover Freelander II SD4

Comment

• Onslow
        Valued Member
        • Aug 2007
        • Perth, Western Australia

If it helps your decision Richo-NT I've had the Bilsteins fitted four years ago. They seem ideal for the Paj and have handled everything that the outback has been able to offer in that time and are still going strong. My springs aren't Kings but Lovells and I can't fault them either. There has been no sag at all in the four years and although I don't tow a trailer or van the vehicle has done plenty of trips fully loaded. I haven't heard a bad word about this combination on a Gen 3 Pajero. Lovells are definitely worth a look.
        NOW SOLD: NW MY2014 VRX 3.2 Diesel Auto, Rhino Rack Roof Rack, Sandgrabber Floor Mats, Safari Snorkel, Warn XP9.5S Winch, ARB Bull Bar, Bushskinz Underbody Protection, Lovells HD Springs, Bilstein Shocks, Firestone Airbags, Off Road Systems Rear Shelf, Boab 40Lt Water Tank, Cooper LT265/65x17 ST-Maxx Tyres, Uniden 7760 UHF Radio, LRA 58LT Long Range Tank, ARB Intensity Spotlights, Redarc BCDC Dual Battery System, Taipan XP 3in Exhaust System, Recaro Seats.

Comment

• Richo-NT
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2009
          • Brisbane

Ok so maybe I need to re-address the springs I'm using... I'll see what price I can get on some Lovell's, how about Dobinson? I've used them in my old Patrol and seem to be ok, the car rides pretty stiff but I think that is more to do with the shocks i'm using in it more then the springs...

Comment

• haggis
            • Jun 2007

Hi Richo,
            I am just doing something similar at the moment. I broke a shocker on the weekend, so have to do something anyway, so why not the upgrade!?!! I am going the Lovells Heavy Duty Raised springs and Bilsteins on each corner. The price I have been given is $195 per corner for the billies, and the lovells are $155 for the pair. This was through Bendigo Tyre service who are an agent for Fulcrum suspension. They are even going to fit them for me as well, as I know the owner. These are all going into an NH. I will get him to crank the torsion bars and do a wheel alignment too, so all up I am looking at about $1k. That is a deal i can live with!
            cheers
            haggis
            92 NH GLS Pirahna dual battery system, Lightforce Blitz240 hid spots, cibie spreads, Bilstiens each corner, Lovells rear coils, custom drawer system, ARB roofrack, side awning, ARB twin jerry holder, MSA drop slide, GME TX3440, custom wiring harness for second battery.

Comment

• Richo-NT
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2009
              • Brisbane

Just spoke to the dealer who I am ordering my car through, he can do a full OME sport suspension kit for only $1440. Thats a price I just can't go past...

I've ordered the car with medium duty front springs and 200kg constant load springs at the back.

Comment

• psproule
                Valued Member
                • Jun 2007
                • Googong, NSW

The OME kit is said to be very good and is supposedly one of the few where they did some on-vehicle testing of spring rate and shock rate combinations.
                2016 Mitsubishi NX Pajero GLX
                2011 Landrover Freelander II SD4

Comment

• Richo-NT
                  Valued Member
                  • Jun 2009
                  • Brisbane

Originally posted by psproule View Post
                  The OME kit is said to be very good and is supposedly one of the few where they did some on-vehicle testing of spring rate and shock rate combinations.
                  well that sounds promising, I always wonder how much vehicle specific development actually goes into shocks... I doubt very much

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X