X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cory
    • Jun 2008

4th to 3rd manual gearbox problem

I wonder if anyone has an idea what the problem with my gearbox might be...car is booked in for 90k service this week, and I would like some kind of idea what the problem is before I hand it over to the dealer - should be a warranty repair I think.
    Changing from 4th down into 3rd it will not go into 3rd - its like it has hit a wall as such, and if I change back to 4th (foot still on clutch), then back to 3rd it is fine, and no problem in any other gear change whether up or down, only 4th to 3rd. It was fairly intermittent a few months ago, but it is now becoming more of a permanent feature. The clutch and all other gearchanges are as per usual, no crunching, or odd noises, etc.
    The car has had a fairly hard life as a 4wd, and could have a pile of sand and dust piled up somewhere it shouldn't be - any ideas would be appreciated.
  • dimmo
    • Mar 2011
    • Radelaide

Originally posted by Cory View Post
    I wonder if anyone has an idea what the problem with my gearbox might be...car is booked in for 90k service this week, and I would like some kind of idea what the problem is before I hand it over to the dealer - should be a warranty repair I think.
    Changing from 4th down into 3rd it will not go into 3rd - its like it has hit a wall as such, and if I change back to 4th (foot still on clutch), then back to 3rd it is fine, and no problem in any other gear change whether up or down, only 4th to 3rd. It was fairly intermittent a few months ago, but it is now becoming more of a permanent feature. The clutch and all other gearchanges are as per usual, no crunching, or odd noises, etc.
    The car has had a fairly hard life as a 4wd, and could have a pile of sand and dust piled up somewhere it shouldn't be - any ideas would be appreciated.
    I had a similar problem - mine was up-shifting into 3rd, and it would "hit a wall" as you put it. I had to push the shifter, let it go then push again.
    Turns out the 3rd gear synchro had gone night-night. There's a bulletin and a revised part for it.

Comment

• wasarangie
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2010
      • Ocean Grove

Had the same with mine also. Covered under warranty no problem.
      SOLD MY11 PB LS Challenger Manual,

MY18 Ford Ranger Wildtrak, Auto. Smartbar Stealth. Warn 9k winch, Redarc dual battery system. over tub rack system. Minecorp phone mount. Folding Phone and UHF antennae mounts. 9" LED driving lights. Assortment of extras from Tickford.

Comment

• stuartiross
        • Nov 2011
        • ACT

Chalked up the same issue here, third gear synchro seems to be weak link. Was replaced under warranty.
        Stu Ross
        PB LS 2012, silver, manual, ARB deluxe bullbar, HR Towbar, Anderson plug, Neoprene seat covers, Uniden 7740, Lightforce 170's, Bushskinz complete set, Airtek snorkel, RedArc Brake Controller, Recovery Points, X20 Smittybilt winch, OME suspension

Blog : http://rossmob.blogspot.com.au/

Comment

• DaveXT
          • Mar 2010
          • Melbourne Outer East

Mine has been repaired, but has been leaking oil ever since.

Comment

• Cory
            • Jun 2008

Just had my vehicle in for 90k service, and the problem I mentioned is definitely the 3rd gear synchro thing - will be fixed under warranty. Thanks all for your pointers as to the problem.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X