• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Steve54
    • Mar 2016
    • Perth

Door trim removal

Hi does anyone know how to remove the rear passenger door trims. I was replacing my interior lights when I tried to remove the globe out of the right hand passenger door trim I grabbed the globe and as I did the fitting fell into the door behind the trim.
    2016 PS Exceed
  • Les PK Ranger
    • Dec 2015
    • Adelaide

Steve, I don't know your modle specifically, but moist trims are similar in removal technique.

Gently explore with a good torch light in hand, look for little panels that might have a slot for a small flat screwdriver blade to lever off a cover cap, usually phillips head screw underneath holding trim handle etc . . . sometimes clips in the middle to, but more around the outside edge of the trim.
    Often small screws are used at the bottom of the trim edge, take a good look.

There are special trim clip tools you can get from SCA etc, like this . . .

There are many on the market, most will do the job depending on the clip type, but basically they allow better, more even leverage to pop the clip out.
    Some clips will come out with gentle hand leverage once you lift a corner of a trim.

Keep in mind, MANY clips on motor vehicles now are virtually designed to break, they want repairers / general public to have to go and purchase new ones each time !
    Some aren't cheap, $3, $5, have seen guard slash liner clips at $8 each !

Once any retaining screws found are removed, start with the bottom and remove clips upwards, once trim is sort of hinged at the top it will unhook at the top and slide upwards.

Nowhere to go, all day to get there . . .

Comment

• gemcc05
      • Aug 2007

Steve, I had the same issue with one of the rear doors when installing LED globes. Started looking at removal of the door trim, without success. However, was able to locate the light fitting behind the trim through the hole & pull it into position. Suggest this a option, unless tried already. Geoff

Comment

• Steve54
        • Mar 2016
        • Perth

Thanks guys tried getting it through the hole managed to get the trim off without wrecking it.
        2016 PS Exceed

Comment

• kod10
          • May 2014
          • brisbane

Just had the same problem. Thought that the bulb had to be turned to remove it, no, just pull it straight out.

My bulb holder fell inside the door trim, no amount of effort could get it to line up to pull it back.

Pop the small cover in the door trim to reveal the screw, undo. Pop the round trim retainer on the rear edge, then from that position lift the trim away from the door working your way down till you can get your hand inside and then reinsert the bulb housing and twist into place.

Comment

• Jasonmc73
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2019
            • Brisbane

Originally posted by Les PK Ranger View Post
            Steve, I don't know your modle specifically, but moist trims are similar in removal technique.

Some clips will come out with gentle hand leverage once you lift a corner of a trim.

Keep in mind, MANY clips on motor vehicles now are virtually designed to break, they want repairers / general public to have to go and purchase new ones each time !
            Some aren't cheap, $3, $5, have seen guard slash liner clips at $8 each !
            The older the car the easier the clips break for what may be obvious reasons with temps inside cars etc year on year.

Years ago I was an accessory fitter for Zupps, brand new vehicles the clips don't break real often I found.

I have just stripped out the back cargo area side trims & down one side of Pajero NX built late
            2015, clips were/ are still in good nick actually.

But I have broken 2 clips & used plastic trim tools printed off parts breakdwon so i knew where i was going etc.

Have run wires even ones in theory i will use at later date, so i'm not pulling it apart again.
            Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X