• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Johnnytheone
    • Nov 2017
    • Duncraig

Price a bit steep?

G'day all. I had the Paj at a Mitsi dealer the other day for an air bag check. As she'd developed a bit of a clunk in the front end I thought they could check out the suspension and steering components for wear and tear while they were at it. Apparently the bushing on the front right shocker was cactus. The gave me a price to replace both front shockers - $1200. I do most of my own mechanical work so I wasn't all that taken aback but it did strike me as a trifle excessive. Any opinions?
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Hi Johny,

Genuine fronts stuts will be about $700 to $800 a pair would be my guess and then 3 to 4 hours labour to remove, disassamble, change top mounts, reassemble and refit so $1200 is in the ball park, if they do not find anything else wrong like frozen suspension adjusters. Reasonable quality aftermarket like Monroe will be half the price of genuine, but you will still be using old coils and top mounts.

If you are happy with factory suspension then you can pick up a complete factory suspension front and back that is ready to bolt on for about $500 from a new NX where someone has upgraded their suspension with aftermarket. These are relatively easy to fit for the average home mechanic, with basic tools, trolley jack and jack stands. Without discovering other problems, it takes about 6 to 8 hours to change over both the front and rear suspension.

A 9 to 12 year old NS with 200,000kms on the odometer will have tired factory suspension, even the rear coils and shockers will be tired.

There is a reasonable chance that some or all of the supsension alignment adjusters will be seized, this in itself can be a time consuming and expensive job in both parts and labour, if you need this additional work done.

OJ.
    Last edited by old Jack; 01-12-19, 08:02 PM.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Alben
      • Jul 2010
      • Victoria

And unlike some other vehicles you need to remove the battery tray and airbox to get to the top of the struts on these from memory, so that adds time to the labour of the job. plus disassembling and reassembling the strut itself, cant just use normal spring compressors for these.
      2007 Pajero NS VRX - DID, Manual, Cool Silver, ARB Deluxe Bullbar, ARB Aluminium Rack, Awning, Bushskinz, Bilstein & Lovells HD, Safari Snorkel, Dual Battery, ARB Air Compressor, Lightforce XGTs, GME UHF, Cooper AT3, TPMS and Scan Gauge.

1996 Triton MJ Luxury Double Cab - 4d56T 2.5TD Manual, Snorkel, Canopy & Roof Rack, Side Step/Sliders, Bullbar, IPF Driving Lights, Mickey T MTZ's, GME UHF, Custom Roof Console, Spot Light, Pioneer Head Unit & Speakers, Piranha Dual Battery, Rear Drawers

Comment

• dc80
        • Jan 2019
        • Perth

Originally posted by Johnnytheone View Post
        G'day all. I had the Paj at a Mitsi dealer the other day for an air bag check. As she'd developed a bit of a clunk in the front end I thought they could check out the suspension and steering components for wear and tear while they were at it. Apparently the bushing on the front right shocker was cactus. The gave me a price to replace both front shockers - $1200. I do most of my own mechanical work so I wasn't all that taken aback but it did strike me as a trifle excessive. Any opinions?
        Wow, $1200 for two front shocks! That what it cost me for a set of Lovells and Bilsteins.

If you're interested, I have a set of pre-assembled original struts from my 2016 NX which I replaced earlier this year when installing the 2" lift. They've only done 45,000kms (city driving only). Just PM me and can work out a price, I'm close by (western suburbs).
        Last edited by dc80; 03-12-19, 05:47 PM.
        2016 NX GLS MY16 | MMA towbar | Boo's bash plates | ProVent 200 catch can | 2" Lovells MD (F+R) + Bilsteins | Stedi 28" ST4K | Falken Wildpeak AT3W 265/60R18 | Yokohama Geolandar G015 LT265/70R17 | iDRIVE | Redarc Tow Pro Elite | Nautia switch panel

Comment

• Nab
          Valued Member
          • Mar 2012
          • Perth

I’ve used Warrens tyre and brake in Morley for many years, good prices and good work. The guy there can be but a bit odd but he knows his stuff and won’t try and sell you extra work unless you really need it. Even if you get the stuff off dc80 Warrens will install for you at reasonable costs.
          SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
          NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

• dc80
            • Jan 2019
            • Perth

Originally posted by Nab View Post
            I’ve used Warrens tyre and brake in Morley for many years, good prices and good work. The guy there can be but a bit odd but he knows his stuff and won’t try and sell you extra work unless you really need it. Even if you get the stuff off dc80 Warrens will install for you at reasonable costs.
            I can vouch for Warren's too. My folks and I have both used him in the past for tyres. I'm sure he can install or you can DIY install there's a good thread on the forum for Gen 3/4 DIY install.
            2016 NX GLS MY16 | MMA towbar | Boo's bash plates | ProVent 200 catch can | 2" Lovells MD (F+R) + Bilsteins | Stedi 28" ST4K | Falken Wildpeak AT3W 265/60R18 | Yokohama Geolandar G015 LT265/70R17 | iDRIVE | Redarc Tow Pro Elite | Nautia switch panel

Comment

• craka
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2009
              • Newcastle (Newie)

I don't think anyone has mentioned it. For not too much more money, you would be able to get a 2inch lift with aftermarket springs and shocks .
              NS SWB X 3.2DiD - Factory locker, Hella spotties, GME UHF, 2" lift

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X