• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • disco stu
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2018
    • Wollongong

Winch vs bog out style recovery "cables"

Hi all. Just wondering if anyone has used the bog out style recovery cable harness thingies? Seems to be a few different versions around of the same thing

BOG OUT is an australian-made 4x4 vehicle recovery system.  Lightweight, compact & reliable, working on all vehicles forwards and reverse.

Just wondering how these would compare to a winch? I'm guessing a winch would give you more options, but the bog out would be at least a bit lighter to carry around, and cheaper than most winches. Just not sure how it work when on your own etc

Keen to hear any opinions

Cheers, Stu
  • ron.dunn
    • Jul 2019
    • Central Victoria

I've been wondering the same thing, waiting for someone to post experiences of using them.

I think they'd be great for a bog or sand scenario, but there's a couple of cases where a winch would be better:

* Up-hill / down-hill slipping (you'd need to somehow wind it on to the wheels first)

* Pulling vehicle back onto track (vehicle slides off track, or at risk of sliding, winch pulls sideways to bring it back)
    Pajero Sport GLS

Comment

• disco stu
      Valued Member
      • Dec 2018
      • Wollongong

I imagined it was best suited for mud and and also, but I do want to be covered for more situations than just those

Comment

• rgrubby
        Valued Member
        • Apr 2018
        • Wellington - NZ

Originally posted by disco stu View Post
        Hi all. Just wondering if anyone has used the bog out style recovery cable harness thingies? Seems to be a few different versions around of the same thing

BOG OUT is an australian-made 4x4 vehicle recovery system.  Lightweight, compact & reliable, working on all vehicles forwards and reverse.

Just wondering how these would compare to a winch? I'm guessing a winch would give you more options, but the bog out would be at least a bit lighter to carry around, and cheaper than most winches. Just not sure how it work when on your own etc

Cheers, Stu

They might be easier to use in reverse than a winch

Originally posted by ron.dunn View Post
        I've been wondering the same thing, waiting for someone to post experiences of using them.

I think they'd be great for a bog or sand scenario, but there's a couple of cases where a winch would be better:

* Up-hill / down-hill slipping (you'd need to somehow wind it on to the wheels first)

* Pulling vehicle back onto track (vehicle slides off track, or at risk of sliding, winch pulls sideways to bring it back)

I had had just this sort of issue today. I was in a muddy pine forest and when I tried to move forward or back, I just slid sideways closer and closer to a tree. I ended up with it squashing my wing mirror and any more movement would have done real damage. I used my winch on an angle to pull me away from the tree, very easily getting me out of that situation. Not sure the Bog Out would have worked there.

I guess it comes down to how often you would expect to need it. If you didn't do the sort of driving that requires regular winching, then it might make for a convenient recovery option. Certainly small and light enough to keep in the boot.
        2007 NS Pajero GLS Diesel. Factory rear diff lock. Custom rear bumper. Custom side steps. Kaon and ASFIR bash plates. Cooper Evolution MT tyres. Couple of CB radios. UltraGauge. Provent 200. Traction control diff lock mod. ARB Comercial bull bar with custom brush bars and Domin8r X 12,000lb winch. Dobinsons and Kings raised springs and shocks. TJM snorkel

Comment

• nj swb
          Resident
          • Jun 2007
          • Adelaide

I'd love to see how these perform on some of our beaches here in SA.

A few of us recently explored some beaches down near the Vic border, and came across many soft spots where we just sank. TREDs to the rescue! (With the occasional winching by Razor - thanks! )

Most of the time the issue was purely traction - the sand was so deep / moist / soft that the wheels sank until the belly was dragging. Being moist, the sand held its shape quite well, so it was easy to dig a trench (without it collapsing on itself) to get the TREDs under the wheels, and slowly drive back to firmer terrain. Slowly being the operative word.

I'd love to see how something like this would perform under the same circumstances - presuming a suitable anchor (e.g. another vehicle) could be available.
          NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• disco stu
            Valued Member
            • Dec 2018
            • Wollongong

Thanks for that. Good to hear your experiences. Ultimately I hope to be out a fair bit on my own. I bought the pajero mostly for hunting in state forests and the like, and me being me expect I'll be on my own a lot/most of the time. I would like to be able to get away from the more busy areas, so the tracks could get pretty bad

Considering all that, I would like to be self sufficient for getting out of trouble. My thinking before was that a winch would be the better option, but thought I would look into these at least. Your story makes me think that my original thinking is right-winch is going to suit me better

Comment

• rgrubby
              Valued Member
              • Apr 2018
              • Wellington - NZ

Thanks for that. Good to hear your experiences. Ultimately I hope to be out a fair bit on my own. I bought the pajero mostly for hunting in state forests and the like, and me being me expect I'll be on my own a lot/most of the time. I would like to be able to get away from the more busy areas, so the tracks could get pretty bad

Considering all that, I would like to be self sufficient for getting out of trouble. My thinking before was that a winch would be the better option, but thought I would look into these at least. Your story makes me think that my original thinking is right-winch is going to suit me better

It sounds like a winch would serve you very well in those situations.
              2007 NS Pajero GLS Diesel. Factory rear diff lock. Custom rear bumper. Custom side steps. Kaon and ASFIR bash plates. Cooper Evolution MT tyres. Couple of CB radios. UltraGauge. Provent 200. Traction control diff lock mod. ARB Comercial bull bar with custom brush bars and Domin8r X 12,000lb winch. Dobinsons and Kings raised springs and shocks. TJM snorkel

Comment

• disco stu
                Valued Member
                • Dec 2018
                • Wollongong

Cheers

Comment

• old Jack
                  Regular
                  • Jun 2011
                  • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by rgrubby View Post
                  It sounds like a winch would serve you very well in those situations.
                  Unfortunately there is not a “one size fits all” recovery system that is ideal for all recovery situations, particularly when you are traveling solo. The closest thing is a Tirfor hand winch but these are heavy, slow and require a high degree of strength and fitness to operate efficiently. All but simple winch recoveries also require a greater understanding and knowledge of the physics behind effective and safe winching techniques, whether it is hand or power winch. Just because you have a power winch does not mean you can get out of all situations. My Challenger is the first 4WD I have owned without an electric winch, after 30 years of being winch equipped I felt very under prepared for solo vechile recovery.

I opted for 2 sets of Maxtraxs instead of a power winch, having used Maxtrax for 8 years now, I can confidently say for my sort of recoveries on beaches, deserts, outback and Flinders Ranges areas where I travel, the Maxtrax have never let me down. In my mind they are safer, quicker to use, more flexible, less weight and way less maintenance than power winch. If I was traveling solo in the east coast mountains then I would be adding a hand winch to my recovery gear before a power winch.

OJ.
                  2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                  MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• disco stu
                    Valued Member
                    • Dec 2018
                    • Wollongong

Thanks Jack. I did look hard at hand winches, with the thinking I can pull from both ends (or more), cheaper, simpler, no hassles with install, take out when not going away yada yada ( all pluses for the way I like to do things). My concerns were that they sound like they take a lot of effort to use (health conditions means I do have my limits despite liking to push myself), and I wasn't sure how I would go using it on my own while managing the vehicle itself (steering it around obstacles if needed etc)

Are my concerns valid? I've been bogged countless times in my younger days cruising around the bush in 2wd's, and comfortable with those types of recoveries, but a stuck 4x4 is something I don't have much experience with. Had to do 4x4 course for work about 10yrs ago and we covered recovery in there, but haven't had the chance to use much gear to know when and where it works.

Don't you need to put a winch on a 4x4 to look cool-to go along with the max tracks on the roof that are brand new, and the unused kings awning?

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                      Valued Member
                      • Aug 2016
                      • Greater Sydney

You forgot the high lift jack and two spares hanging of a rear bar.

That's cool.

Comment

• disco stu
                        Valued Member
                        • Dec 2018
                        • Wollongong

Ha ha! You're right, completely forgot that one. I was looking at getting a high lift jack-purely for turning it into a bodgy press! Those things scare me a bit

Comment

• CharlieAubo
                          • Apr 2018
                          • Cairns

BOG OUT - Club

Hi there Stu

Thank you asking about how BOG OUT works - the Pajero Club of Victoria needs to test BOG OUT and we invite the Club to formally contact us.

We have videos and reports from 4WD Club of WA see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaByWipO5ds and the Holden 4WD Club of SA - eg https://www.facebook.com/BogOut/vide...43842475/?t=10.

In fact, the 4WD Club of WA liked our system so much they resold it at the 2019 Perth 4WD Show and raised significant funds for the club as well as attracting new members.

I can answer many of the questions raised in this thread, but I think a test by your club will be the 'proof of the pudding'.

Thank you for your time and we look forward to hearing from you or the club via our website.

Regards
                          Charlie Aubin (Mrs)
                          Director - BOG OUT

Cheers, Stu

Comment

• gemster
                            Valued Member
                            • Aug 2012
                            • Gold Coast

Why 4x4 owners strap their Max Tracks on the roof to look cool amazes me... Even tho they say the sun won't affect the plastic... Over time I recon it will... eventually... Ok to have them up there when travelling or off road, otherwise mine are in the house away from sun and heat...
                            They are also good to lye on if you have a sore back...

Gemster....
                            YES. ITS A MITZY . 97 NL 3.5 GLS AUTO (Formally owned by geopaj)__ Snorkel ,2 Uniden Uhfs , Roof Console, 2"lift, TT Suspension, Dual bat, Redarc System, BFG KO2's All Terrains, 55L sub tank, Pioneer sound, Milford cargo barrier, Extractors, SS exhaust, Rear camp light, Free Wheel Hubs, Improved Rear Storage unit, Alarm, Led interior lamps...
                            And a 1999 NL LWB... Called 'Project Covid".. Stock Standard.
                            ..Both with No Airbags. We die like real Men

Comment

• disco stu
                              Valued Member
                              • Dec 2018
                              • Wollongong

Yeah-UV eventually gets to all plastic it seems. Small price to pay though to go along with your winch, high lift jack etc though

Thanks for your post Charlie. Being honest, I'm just a forum member rather than an actual club member so I'm not in a position to go speaking for or testing items on behalf of the club-feel free to send me a free set though (yes, joking)

I'm confident that these would suit me fine for most situations, its just those other times that I want to make sure I'm covered for, especially when on my own. I was looking at the bush winch, and the one thing they have is the ability to guide the front part of the cable (if using the full setup that costs a motsa) when running the winch part off the rear wheels and going forward. The large expense of the bush winch and other factors would push me towards an electric winch.

The bog out would have worked great for the last time I got stuck. Was a state forest in the southern highlands of NSW. 2wd track on the DPI map, and was perfectly fine for my camry all the way along.....until the small hill down to where I was going to park. First part was fine, then once over the dip in the middle and past the point of no return I realised that the next section was a lot worse. When trying to get out, I was just slipping all the way up. Spent an hour trying different paths and ways, flogging the poor car up there (killed my rear shocks!). I ended up with 2 front tyres down to the steel belts, front slipped into a rut and car ended up sideways somewhat. Everything I tried after that just ended up with the front slipping down the hill and pushing the rear close and closer to the edge (or just over it in the end). Off I went up the hill looking for reception. Luckily the only people I saw all day came along about 30min later and got me out. Bog out for each wheel would have got me up in sections no problems.

Brings up one question-how do you go about getting them off the wheels when you're not in a position to reverse to get them off and need to use them again to do the recovery in stages?

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X