Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Do It Yourself Projects

Do It Yourself Projects Anything that you have made up yourself. Rear storage systems etc

Old 22-11-18

Default Kings Awning

Hi all, just wondering if anyone has fitted a kings awning or similar to a 2016 on Pajero.
If so how did you attach to factory roof rails or did you need to get extras to fit.
Pics and parts needed would be greatly appreciated.
Got the awning today now just need to work out how to attach it.
Thanks all in advance

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 22-11-18
Valued Member

The awning doesn't attach to the factory rails, you need to bolt it to a set of roof bars or a roof tray (attached to the rails) using the L shaped brackets supplied with the awning.

I did have some Aldi roof bars a while ago and they worked fine but I needed for a roof tray to store more stuff on outback trips.
2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S. Goldstream caravan and a TVan Firetail.
Old 22-11-18
Valued Member

This arrangement would be fairly typical:

20181122_183216.jpg
Old 23-11-18

Thanks for the advice
What is the width of rails you have used?
I have been looking at the pro rack system and they are 1350mm, also I got the 2.5m awning but now not to sure if it's going to be a bit big and whether I should get a 2m instead.
What are others running.
Cheers

Old 23-11-18
Valued Member

I reckon you are better off with the 2.5m wide one. I have a 2x2.5 and it's okay, but an extra half a metre width would be handy, especially when it's raining. They aren't particularly heavy so you should have no problems having the cross bars close to either end of the rails and mounting to them.

Edit.....
Btw, if you saw my signature with the Darche 270 awning and were wondering, I have the Kings on the drivers side for use when it's very windy or snowing as I can angle it down much more than the batwing style Darche. Most of the time I use the Darche.

ARB Summit front & rear bars and side steps, Carryboy canopy and rack, Safari Snorkel, VRS 9500 winch, Gecko 16x7 rims with BFG 245/75r16 KM3s, Uniden 8080s UHF, Darche 270 awning
Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear Elocker, Supertrim Neoprene Seat Covers, Drifta drawers, MSA drop slide, dual battery system and ARB onboard compressor. National Campers Hermit.

Previously a Gunmetal 2007 NS VRX DiD Auto

Last edited by Merts; 23-11-18 at 10:44 AM. Reason: extra info.
Old 23-11-18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merts View Post
I reckon you are better off with the 2.5m wide one. I have a 2x2.5 and it's okay, but an extra half a metre width would be handy, especially when it's raining. They aren't particularly heavy so you should have no problems having the cross bars close to either end of the rails and mounting to them.

Edit.....
Btw, if you saw my signature with the Darche 270 awning and were wondering, I have the Kings on the drivers side for use when it's very windy or snowing as I can angle it down much more than the batwing style Darche. Most of the time I use the Darche.
Thanks Merts,
What is your cross bar rail lengths?
Not sure on either rhino vortex sx part no ja9141 which are 1260mm or pro rack s-17 which are 1350mm

Old 24-11-18
Valued Member

It's mounted on a rack on the canopy on my Triton.
I can advise however that the roof bars I had on my NS were 1350 long.

ARB Summit front & rear bars and side steps, Carryboy canopy and rack, Safari Snorkel, VRS 9500 winch, Gecko 16x7 rims with BFG 245/75r16 KM3s, Uniden 8080s UHF, Darche 270 awning
Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear Elocker, Supertrim Neoprene Seat Covers, Drifta drawers, MSA drop slide, dual battery system and ARB onboard compressor. National Campers Hermit.

Previously a Gunmetal 2007 NS VRX DiD Auto
Old 24-11-18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merts View Post
It's mounted on a rack on the canopy on my Triton.
I can advise however that the roof bars I had on my NS were 1350 long.
Cheers Merts,
Just picked up roof bar kit from Autobarn.
They had a 25% off Rhino racks.
Whole kit $246

Old 21-04-19
Valued Member

Default Awning poles & locking

The last time I used my Tigerz (now Kings?) awning I found that the locking mechanisms for the poles would barely hold the segments in the required positions. No shame on them really as they've rattled their way across the country for 7 years.

The pole locking mechanism consists of two cylinders of plastic with a pin that passes off-centre through one cylinder (which is pressed into the end of the pole) and also off-centre through the other plastic cylinder. When there's relative movement between the two pieces (ie twisting the sliding pole) they lock onto the tubing of the leg that encloses the sliding pole. I'd describe it as a sort of cam action that locks the poles together.

Poor fit and abrasion over time means that there is no longer sufficient interference for the plastic pieces to lock onto the inside of the aluminium leg. Hence the need for a fix.

After experimenting with various tapes and also heatshrink to improve the interference between the parts, the best result was obtained by stretching little rings of old bike tube over the free cylinder of plastic.

The poles now lock together very firmly and still slide when unlocked. Another benefit is that they seem less prone to rattling when stowed.
It will be easy to repeat if the rubber perishes.

20190421_121625.jpg