• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Plez
    • Jul 2018
    • South East QLD

Glasshouse mountains Fathers Day Fun.

Had my first trip out to glasshouse mountains this weekend, had an absolute blast.
    We started at the hillclimb area to have a little play, then headed through the track behind it onto canyon road, followed canyon road until we reached an impassable (for us) bog hole, my mate had a go, and in hindsight i think if he gassed it a bit more he might of made it through. But anyway, after heading down between to tight walls we didnt feel we could get up again easily, so we went for a walk to find a track out. We managed to find a track that was very obviously not travelled very often, we slowly proceeded through it only to come across not only the hardest hill climb I've ever driven or been passenger in.

My mate went first in his 105 series and with a little guidance made it up, then it was my turn. Facing a very rutty, rocky, shoaly climb. Initially I tried in 4Llc with rear locker, no dice. Switched back to 4Hlc and with the traction control made it up. A definite butt clencher.

If anyone is familliar with glassshouse I'm happy to draw on the map where this track was, maybe you've done it.

Anyway, I intended to capture the whole day on my dashcam, unfortunately I found my SD card only fits about the last 3 hours in its memory, basically, the drive home.

However I did manage to grab a few videos and pictures which I'll attach now.

This is one of the descents on Canyon Road. My mates missus has been on her fair share of 4wd trips and makes a very good spotter. Camera makes it look closer than it was, you'll see what I mean. (that link has 2 videos)

This album contains the second landcruiser recovery of the day, my mates 105 cant go anywhere with 1 front and 1 rear in the air, another win for traction control. Also in that album is some photos of the aftermath, a video of the afformentioned boghole, and my mate promptly getting stuck in it, and a poorly filmed descent from my mate. (I was too busy trying to guide him, he's new so doesn't know what my pointers mean yet haha)

And finally, just some pictures the missus snagged showing how beautiful this place is.

I will definitely be going back another time, and I am very, very, very impressed with the Pajero, I bought it expecting a comfortable road car and a capable offroader for camping and beach driving. With the help of my mate basically forcing us down that canyon rd and then subsequently having to fight our way out, I can say it is at least as capable as every 4x4 I've ever been on a trip with that wasn't full of illegal mods.

But, because of being forced to get out I did do a dumb thing, that rocky rutty climb really should've been done with bashplates, I dont have any installed. I didnt get any damage thankfully, but I definitely could have.

Also this bullbar didnt require the front bumper to be cut on install (I bought it with the bullbar) but during the day the bottom of the bumper has been pushed out of place, causing the wheels to rub on about 50-75% lock, sounds like hell escaping. A hacksaw and some edging is going to fix that soon(tm) if the bank account allowed a winch bar would go on right now, but in the meantime I'll just cut under where I know arb/tjm/xrox require so I'm not left high and dry when the time is right.

Sorry for the Essay, just had a grand old time, feel free to follow me on instagram if you like, there will be a lot of Pajero stuff, but fair warning it's also full of crap, swings and roundabouts I suppose.

Cheers, Plez
    2013 NW, Grey, Auto, Diesel. Resistor EGR Delete, 2inch OZtec + Kings lift, 265/65/r17 Bridgestone Duelers. Custom 2.5inch turbo back exhaust with 200cell highflow cat and 12inch straight through resonator.
  • Dicko1
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2014
    • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by Plez View Post
    Had my first trip out to glasshouse mountains this weekend, had an absolute blast.
    We started at the hillclimb area to have a little play, then headed through the track behind it onto canyon road, followed canyon road until we reached an impassable (for us) bog hole, my mate had a go, and in hindsight i think if he gassed it a bit more he might of made it through. But anyway, after heading down between to tight walls we didnt feel we could get up again easily, so we went for a walk to find a track out. We managed to find a track that was very obviously not travelled very often, we slowly proceeded through it only to come across not only the hardest hill climb I've ever driven or been passenger in.

My mate went first in his 105 series and with a little guidance made it up, then it was my turn. Facing a very rutty, rocky, shoaly climb. Initially I tried in 4Llc with rear locker, no dice. Switched back to 4Hlc and with the traction control made it up. A definite butt clencher.

If anyone is familliar with glassshouse I'm happy to draw on the map where this track was, maybe you've done it.

Anyway, I intended to capture the whole day on my dashcam, unfortunately I found my SD card only fits about the last 3 hours in its memory, basically, the drive home.

However I did manage to grab a few videos and pictures which I'll attach now.

This is one of the descents on Canyon Road. My mates missus has been on her fair share of 4wd trips and makes a very good spotter. Camera makes it look closer than it was, you'll see what I mean. (that link has 2 videos)

This album contains the second landcruiser recovery of the day, my mates 105 cant go anywhere with 1 front and 1 rear in the air, another win for traction control. Also in that album is some photos of the aftermath, a video of the afformentioned boghole, and my mate promptly getting stuck in it, and a poorly filmed descent from my mate. (I was too busy trying to guide him, he's new so doesn't know what my pointers mean yet haha)

And finally, just some pictures the missus snagged showing how beautiful this place is.

I will definitely be going back another time, and I am very, very, very impressed with the Pajero, I bought it expecting a comfortable road car and a capable offroader for camping and beach driving. With the help of my mate basically forcing us down that canyon rd and then subsequently having to fight our way out, I can say it is at least as capable as every 4x4 I've ever been on a trip with that wasn't full of illegal mods.

But, because of being forced to get out I did do a dumb thing, that rocky rutty climb really should've been done with bashplates, I dont have any installed. I didnt get any damage thankfully, but I definitely could have.

Also this bullbar didnt require the front bumper to be cut on install (I bought it with the bullbar) but during the day the bottom of the bumper has been pushed out of place, causing the wheels to rub on about 50-75% lock, sounds like hell escaping. A hacksaw and some edging is going to fix that soon(tm) if the bank account allowed a winch bar would go on right now, but in the meantime I'll just cut under where I know arb/tjm/xrox require so I'm not left high and dry when the time is right.

Sorry for the Essay, just had a grand old time, feel free to follow me on instagram if you like, there will be a lot of Pajero stuff, but fair warning it's also full of crap, swings and roundabouts I suppose.

Cheers, Plez

Dont have to say sorry for posting an essay. Sounds like you had a great time and enjoy the Pajero. Thats what it is all about..
    Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• jasper361
      • Sep 2010
      • Eatons Hill

A great write up and footage mate, I've never been through there but will definitely get up there after seeing that.
      Also great to see a Paj pulling out a cruiser!

Cheers,
      scott
      2019 Y62 Ti Patrol
      MY15 NX Exceed - Ironbark. - SOLD
      Bash plates, Bilstein/kings, GME XRS330c

Comment

• Plez
        • Jul 2018
        • South East QLD

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
        Dont have to say sorry for posting an essay. Sounds like you had a great time and enjoy the Pajero. Thats what it is all about..
        Was defInitely a good day, I’m very impressed with the traction control system, a decade or 2 ago I don’t think the track would of been passable on all independent suspension.

Originally posted by jasper361 View Post
        A great write up and footage mate, I've never been through there but will definitely get up there after seeing that.
        Also great to see a Paj pulling out a cruiser!

Cheers,
        scott
        It’s a little unfair because he has never off-roaded before, but he takes it on the chin with a smile. All vehicles have their strengths and weaknesses and I’m sure before long he’ll be pulling me out of something. Just with open diffs once the wheels lift you’re in a bit of a pickle.

It’s definitely worth a trip. If you want I can post a link where someone has named and rated the main tracks so you can get an idea of the lay of the land.

Loads of people out, if there were more hours in the day I’d of visited the extreme rated trails to watch the fun, we sat for about 20 mins to watch a patrol that rolled on its side get winched on its wheels then up a hill. Very good trip indeed.

Thanks both of you for the feedback
        2013 NW, Grey, Auto, Diesel. Resistor EGR Delete, 2inch OZtec + Kings lift, 265/65/r17 Bridgestone Duelers. Custom 2.5inch turbo back exhaust with 200cell highflow cat and 12inch straight through resonator.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
        Working...
        X