• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tashubi
    • Nov 2012
    • Hills Sydney

NS Manual Gearbox Failure

Hi All,

Just wondering/Interested if anyone has experienced a total failure of there manual 5 speed gearbox. On a recent drive from Sydney to Brisbane the gearbox shat its self where there was no drive no mater what gear was selected or doping to H4. Car is 12-06 build Diesel.

Had cruse set at 80ks in 5th, going up a steep incline through one of the many work zones currently on the Pacific Highway. Herd a sound similar to a muffled POP then no drive, prier to this there was no abnormal noise or sound from the car prier to the failure. After however there was a sound of badly meshing gears from the box. Had the car floated to Coffs Harbour for further investigation.

Upon removing the box from the car i was advised that the (spline driving the transfer case) had spat the dummy this results in no drive through the box. The resulting metal has got through the box and transfer box. This requires a total box rebuild at great expense. I'm informed that this is a fairly regular occurrence in Pajeros and Tritons. However i'm not able to find anything for jen 4 Pajeros for this type of failure.

The box is being repaired now and the bed mate has decided that it is all my fault!!
    Thanks in advance.
  • craka
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2009
    • Newcastle (Newie)

Sorry to hear mate.

From my recollection yours would be the first one I've heard of.
    NS SWB X 3.2DiD - Factory locker, Hella spotties, GME UHF, 2" lift

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.

Comment

• geopaj
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2007
      • Adelaide

There's been a couple of us destroy transfer cases (me included) but don't recall actual gearboxes.

I changed my TC over the Christmas holiday season and can't imagine how a failure in the gearbox could contaminate the TC - they are both completely separate assemblies with independent oil systems (don't even have to drain the auto trans to replace the TC. I assume manuals would be the same).
      Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• Aussie_Dan
        Valued Member
        • Jan 2010
        • Cairns

Shearing of the splines between the gearbox and transfer was an issue on the NM, although still an uncommon event.
        There have been a few occurrences reported on this forum.
        The manual gearbox never changed much from the NM through to later models as far as I was aware...
        You might ne the first NS to suffer this isdue though?
        How many km on the car, out of curiosity?
        Good luck with the repair!
        Cheers, Dan.
        2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

• Cento
          • Jun 2015
          • Cairns

I acquired my 2007 NS nearly two years ago very cheap ($1) because it had destroyed its gearbox. Required a change of both the gearbox and t/f case. I opted for a second hand unit on the basis that it should be a very rare event and it was considerably cheaper. Since then have had no issues (fingers firmly crossed now). KM's at the time were around 170,000, it's now on 178,000.

Comment

• Tashubi
            • Nov 2012
            • Hills Sydney

Originally posted by Cento View Post
            I acquired my 2007 NS nearly two years ago very cheap ($1) because it had destroyed its gearbox. Required a change of both the gearbox and t/f case. I opted for a second hand unit on the basis that it should be a very rare event and it was considerably cheaper. Since then have had no issues (fingers firmly crossed now). KM's at the time were around 170,000, it's now on 178,000.
            Hi Cento,

The car has 159K, i picked it up with 109.
            I'm led to believe that the previous owner did use it as a tow vehicle for a while.

Comment

• Cento
              • Jun 2015
              • Cairns

The guy I bought mine off had used it to tow his boat but his boss was the original owner and I think he might have abused it a bit. Gearbox failures I would think are a rare thing in any make of car though I have heard and read that towing in 5th doesn't do it any favours, especially uphill.

Comment

• Sandgroper
                Valued Member
                • Jul 2007
                • Perth

My last Pajero a 2002 DiD NM had a gearbox failure at 88k in 2006. It turned out to be a faulty selector fork, it broke in two sending a piece through the side of the case. At the time a new MM box was $4500 plus fitting but I bought a second hand one for $2200 plus fitting. At the time it was the only one known to have failed.
                NS VRX DiD manual, family pack, tint, 2.5t tow, Smartbar, Firestone airbags, Vision X HID driving lights.

Comment

• Tashubi
                  • Nov 2012
                  • Hills Sydney

Hi all,

Gearbox fixed and installed. Some details of failure, the input shaft out of the gearbox into the transfer case has a gear that sits over a set of straight cut splines in the shaft.
                  The splines and the gear splines wore totally striped out. Making the shaft and gear two independent items in the drive line. Hence no drive out of the gear box into the transfer case.

My first impression is the amount of driveline backlash that has disappeared is significant. When I back off no, clunk is heard in the drive to the point where the bride has noticed how much tighter things feel. The shift is positive and not as sloppy or vague as was the case prior to the failure.

Fore some time I was chasing a clunk sound. Had the rear drive nuts check several times with reports saying it was ok. So it appears that the noise was coming from the gearbox all the time. I'm pleased that the noise has disappeared, but would prefer to have the money sitting in my bank account.

I tried to add photo of the gear and the shaft to the post but won't work on the iPad.

Very happy with the way the car drives now. Pajero is a nice bus.

Comment

• RUGGA
                    Valued Member
                    • Nov 2014
                    • Adelaide

If the photo is on your ph, download the app. Tapatalk. Find the forum, log in come to this thread and upload direct from your ph photos. Select small or medium but large is LARGE. Saves going through photo bucket or the like.

Would love to see the pics.
                    02 NM 3.2, Auto, Exceed, I/C and sump guards, L&B 2" lift, 265/75/16 OPAT2.

Comment

• Tashubi
                      • Nov 2012
                      • Hills Sydney

Photos attached

I hope that I have done this correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• nj swb
                        Resident
                        • Jun 2007
                        • Adelaide

Originally posted by Tashubi View Post
                        Photos attached

I hope that I have done this correctly.

That gear is the input gear from the transfer case?
                        NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Tashubi
                          • Nov 2012
                          • Hills Sydney

So the failed end is in the gearbox ??

Comment

• poldi
                            • Jan 2019
                            • tasmania

Originally posted by Tashubi View Post
                            Hi All,

Just wondering/Interested if anyone has experienced a total failure of there manual 5 speed gearbox. On a recent drive from Sydney to Brisbane the gearbox shat its self where there was no drive no mater what gear was selected or doping to H4. Car is 12-06 build Diesel.

Had cruse set at 80ks in 5th, going up a steep incline through one of the many work zones currently on the Pacific Highway. Herd a sound similar to a muffled POP then no drive, prier to this there was no abnormal noise or sound from the car prier to the failure. After however there was a sound of badly meshing gears from the box. Had the car floated to Coffs Harbour for further investigation.

Upon removing the box from the car i was advised that the (spline driving the transfer case) had spat the dummy this results in no drive through the box. The resulting metal has got through the box and transfer box. This requires a total box rebuild at great expense. I'm informed that this is a fairly regular occurrence in Pajeros and Tritons. However i'm not able to find anything for jen 4 Pajeros for this type of failure.

The box is being repaired now and the bed mate has decided that it is all my fault!!
                            Thanks in advance.
                            Hi , i seem to have just had same happen to me ,mine was also 12.2007 build me what i wanting to know how long did you had to wait for parts cheers peter

Comment

• trodelphin
                              • Jul 2019
                              • manjimup

Going through the same thing atm, WOW even worldwide you cannot get this part (Part No MR515109), maybe perhaps out of US/EU for about $800-$1000 AU with a 30-45 day waiting period...
                              Absolutely no 2nd gearboxes in WA, can get from east for $1500-$2000 but who know what your are getting, spoke to about 10 engineers and Transmission Shops, most say "No, don't Weld as weakens, some said lathe down and get another spline same and sleeve it on then reweld, some say get another spline of same pattern and chop old off and reweld, the big engineer shops just want to make another one but the cost i imagine would be not cheap.
                              Ended up sending to Gearbox Factory in Sydney as read on other posts having done before as they can do.
                              They reweld the splines with hardened rod and then re-cut (I thought you would harden after the cut but i'm not the expert)
                              2 Weeks ETA and $350
                              Obviously this is a Design Flaw/Fault as all spares worldwide are used up...
                              But what a headache for a 13 year old car...

Part number for the Sleeve is MR453956
                              Last edited by trodelphin; 27-12-19, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X