• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cooperplace
    Valued Member
    • Oct 2010
    • adelaide

Pajero keeps blowing headlight bulbs

My NS keeps blowing headlights. LHS last week, RHS today. I run standard H9s. I've tried el cheapos as well as Osram and Philips. None give good life. Voltage is 14.2v at most. I'm careful to not touch the glass.

The only good thing is they're easy to change.

Any thoughts as to how I can fix this?

Thanks.
  • spot01
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2011
    • Adelaide

Originally posted by cooperplace View Post
    My NS keeps blowing headlights. LHS last week, RHS today. I run standard H9s. I've tried el cheapos as well as Osram and Philips. None give good life. Voltage is 14.2v at most. I'm careful to not touch the glass.

The only good thing is they're easy to change.

Any thoughts as to how I can fix this?

Thanks.
    What do you use to hold the globes when fitting?
    Perhaps it has something on it which transfers to the globe surface - or perhaps the globe surface is picking up some dirt, etc. in the process?
    Its not just touching them - any contamination may cause them to blow.
    Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• erad
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2015
      • Cooma NSW

Are the globes securely mounted? If they are slightly loose, they can vibrate and this will shorten their life dramatically.

Comment

• NFT5
        Valued Member
        • Apr 2011
        • Canberra

The H9 bulb is a "high performance" bulb which gives up to 2100 lumens compared to the H11 at around 1400 lumens.

The trade off for that performance increase is shorter life. That this is the case is confirmed by the fact that both bulbs have lasted about the same time. If it were a fitting or contamination problem then one bulb would likely be more affected than the other.

So, if you want long life from a halogen bulb then go back to H11 and take the performance reduction as the cost.

Alternately you can consider conversion to HID. Although not ideal, the projectors in the Gen 4 will handle HID conversion reasonably well so long as you stick to 35W and use good quality bulbs such as CNLight, TC or the Philips Asia line. Stay away from the Ebay junk that will give poor performance through inaccurate alignment and eventually destroy your bowls with excessive heat and UV. PM me if you want more information on quality HID bulb and ballast sourcing.

LED is not an option. These lights need accurate positioning of the light source and no LED can yet provide that. Beam patterns will be garbage which means that you won't be getting light where you need it and most testing has shown that, despite the nice colour, actual outputs are generally much less than the original standard bulbs.
        Chris

Comment

• craka
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2009
          • Newcastle (Newie)

How long are they lasting before blowing?
          NS SWB X 3.2DiD - Factory locker, Hella spotties, GME UHF, 2" lift

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.

Comment

• cooperplace
            Valued Member
            • Oct 2010
            • adelaide

Originally posted by NFT5 View Post
            The H9 bulb is a "high performance" bulb which gives up to 2100 lumens compared to the H11 at around 1400 lumens.

Thank you, that explains it. I'll try H11 instead.

Comment

• cooperplace
              Valued Member
              • Oct 2010
              • adelaide

It's been suggested that a dud alternator can cause voltage spikes that a digital multimeter doesn't pick up: has anyone seen this? Car has done 224k km, so alternator could be on the way out.

I put in a new RHS H9 a couple of days ago, and it blew today. That's 3 in a week.

Comment

• spot01
                Valued Member
                • Apr 2011
                • Adelaide

Originally posted by cooperplace View Post
                It's been suggested that a dud alternator can cause voltage spikes that a digital multimeter doesn't pick up: has anyone seen this? Car has done 224k km, so alternator could be on the way out.

I put in a new RHS H9 a couple of days ago, and it blew today. That's 3 in a week.
                Check the battery connections are clean & tight plus the accessory leads.
                Is the battery in good condition?
                Any flickering, etc. from the lights when driving?
                Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• Boo Boo
                  • Aug 2012
                  • Kilsyth

I had the same problem and the previous owner for some reason had put a push in joiner in the wire and you could see the wire was getting hot.
                  I removed the joiner and put a soldered joint in and this fixed the problem.
                  2008 NS DID, Smart bar and warn winch, Boos Bash plates, ex nsw police car, Safair snorkel and 2 inch OME lift.

Comment

• cooperplace
                    Valued Member
                    • Oct 2010
                    • adelaide

Originally posted by spot01 View Post
                    Check the battery connections are clean & tight plus the accessory leads.
                    Is the battery in good condition?
                    Any flickering, etc. from the lights when driving?

Yes, battery connections are clean and tight. Battery is good, about a year old. There's no flickering from lights when driving.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X