• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kiwi1973
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2012
    • New Zealand

Update

My Pajero (Shogun) was loaded into a container in New Zealand on Tuesday. Ship sets sail on Sunday - so this trip is very much on!!

We have attracted two commercial sponsors for this trip, which is fairly obvious from the photos attached. I really appreciate their equipment on the vehicle and we need it for a trip like this.

You'll see my new website address is printed on the Pajero - it's still not live yet but will be very very soon and I'll announce it on this forum when it's live. Just a couple of days.

I've also begun writing for a NZ 4wd magazine. I have a whole series coming up for them, which commences with some of our previous foreign trips and then the intention is they'll follow our Central Asia trip.

One thing I think is quite cool is that this trip ends in England, which is where I first began these travels with my Shogun. So this Shogun has twice circled Morocco, Europe and the Balkans - out to New Zealand - and is now about to return to England right across all of Central Asia - making for one rather well travelled Shogun/Pajero!
    Attached Files
    2007 Shogun 3.2DID. UK Diamond Spec. Harrop Eaton front E-locker. MCC Bullbar. Runva 11XP winch. 17" Dotz rims with 32" STT Pro. Koni HT RAID 90 series with +2" EHD Lovells springs. ASFIR protection plates for engine & transmission. DIY steel rocksliders. LRA 81 litre auxiliary fuel tank. Waeco CFX-40. Home made drawers & fridge slide. Dual power - 120a/h AGM with CTEK DC-DC. LED lighting. 43 litre water tank with two electric pumps - one for tap (via filter) & one via heat exchanger.

Comment

• rgrubby
      Valued Member
      • Apr 2018
      • Wellington - NZ

The truck looks great and I'm sure with all the work you have put in it will run well on your journey.

All the best for your trip, I look forward to following your adventure.
      2007 NS Pajero GLS Diesel. Factory rear diff lock. Custom rear bumper. Custom side steps. Kaon and ASFIR bash plates. Cooper Evolution MT tyres. Couple of CB radios. UltraGauge. Provent 200. Traction control diff lock mod. ARB Comercial bull bar with custom brush bars and Domin8r X 12,000lb winch. Dobinsons and Kings raised springs and shocks. TJM snorkel

Comment

• kiwi1973
        Valued Member
        • Sep 2012
        • New Zealand

Originally posted by rgrubby View Post
        The truck looks great and I'm sure with all the work you have put in it will run well on your journey.

All the best for your trip, I look forward to following your adventure.
        Thanks. The old NS continues to serve well. It has been very well maintained, but despite this my eyes are more open than ever to all the dangers that could stop us in our tracks. The exploded fuel injection pump a year ago demonstrated first hand the critical importance of ensuring the engine only ever receives good fuel. (Sadly that episode appears to have been deliberate sabotage - still can't believe anyone would do that).

No doubt at some point during the trip I'll be on this forum asking for ideas how to fix something that needs attention...... again all just part of a trip like this!
        2007 Shogun 3.2DID. UK Diamond Spec. Harrop Eaton front E-locker. MCC Bullbar. Runva 11XP winch. 17" Dotz rims with 32" STT Pro. Koni HT RAID 90 series with +2" EHD Lovells springs. ASFIR protection plates for engine & transmission. DIY steel rocksliders. LRA 81 litre auxiliary fuel tank. Waeco CFX-40. Home made drawers & fridge slide. Dual power - 120a/h AGM with CTEK DC-DC. LED lighting. 43 litre water tank with two electric pumps - one for tap (via filter) & one via heat exchanger.

Comment

• stumagoo
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2014
          • Perth WA S.O.R

This sort of shogun/pajero/whatever is the sort Mitsi may even be into after your trips... its got one hell of a touring history to go with it and has done more in its life than many people have. Its an awesome story - thanks for sharing it
          1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
          *** retired to the big wrecking yard in the sky***
          1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, running a 6g75 (3.8) with M90 supercharger at 14psi, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back

Comment

• kiwi1973
            Valued Member
            • Sep 2012
            • New Zealand

Originally posted by stumagoo View Post
            This sort of shogun/pajero/whatever is the sort Mitsi may even be into after your trips... its got one hell of a touring history to go with it and has done more in its life than many people have. Its an awesome story - thanks for sharing it
            I thought this too and wrote to Mitsubishi Motors in Australia and NZ, but neither even gave the courtesy of a reply. It may simply be that my emails ended up with some members of staff who couldn't be bothered. I have nonetheless considered informing Mitsubishi Motors UK that this Shogun is on its way back to England.

Comment

• craka
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2009
              • Newcastle (Newie)

Looks ripper.

Wish you well on your trip, and keen to follow your blog to see how it goes.
              NS SWB X 3.2DiD - Factory locker, Hella spotties, GME UHF, 2" lift

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.

Comment

• erad
                Valued Member
                • Mar 2015
                • Cooma NSW

I am extremely jealous of your adventure, as I am sure a lot of others on this forum are as well. You are using your vehicle to its designed purpose. Hopefully not to its limits. I wish you well for this and future trips.

Comment

• mgazdar
                  • Jan 2012
                  • UK, Saudi Arabia

This is worthy of becoming a sticky!

Goes to show that you don't need a Toyota or a solid suspension vehicle to do an epic trip.

Comment

• Patagonia
                    Valued Member
                    • Dec 2009
                    • Santiago, Chile!!!!!

Best of luck, fantastic trip. Ive been thinking on doing it by train but in your own car, wow!

Take a look at Rui Mendes page in case its usefull, the guy has travelled half of the world with an NS.

Last edited by Patagonia; 19-04-19, 07:07 AM.
                    2000 SWB NL 3.5 SOHC V6 AT.
                    Adjustable suspension, Rear Locker, Suspension Seats, Cruise Control, 8500 Lbs winch, all factory fitted.
                    31x10.5R15 Pirelli ATR?s and forever thinking on the lift.
                    2009 SWB NS 3.2 DOHC DID AT 265/70/17 BFG AT/KO, OME SD Springs +4 Rear locker, 8.500 Lbs Winch...new toy!!!

Comment

• kiwi1973
                      Valued Member
                      • Sep 2012
                      • New Zealand

Originally posted by Patagonia View Post
                      Best of luck, fantastic trip. Ive been thinking on doing it by train but in your own car, wow!

Take a look at Rui Mendes page in case its usefull, the guy has travelled half of the world with an NS.

https://m.facebook.com/expedicionesv...?locale2=es_LA
                      Thanks for this. I've had a look and he has some great images of his travels!

Comment

• kiwi1973
                        Valued Member
                        • Sep 2012
                        • New Zealand

Website is live!

I published my website this morning! Feel free to check it out and follow along. I spent too much time figuring out how to make a miniature Pajero drive a map of Central Asia to give you an idea of my intended route, but it looks pretty cool - it's on the page '2019 Route'.

The ship with my Pajero loaded was due to set sail yesterday - I'll be tracking my container's progress towards Russia over the next few weeks.

Next steps are that I'm taking my family to Vietnam on Weds and then we'll make our way overland from there to meet up with the Pajero in the Russian Far East by mid May. Then the 4wd overland bit gets underway from late May and I'll be submitting photos, blogs and videos regularly as we go, so feel free to subscribe to updates on my website.

I probably should be posting this somewhere else on this forum rather than just in the 4.1 section.

Comment

• batteoui
                          • Apr 2015
                          • Casablanca Morocco

Fantastic ! Was the first one to comment on the new site �� I wish you all the best and maybe meet you when you're in Morocco

Comment

• Axis
                            Valued Member
                            • Jul 2011
                            • Highett Vic

Just checked out your website and left a message. Can't wait to read about your next adventure.

Cheers,
                            James
                            07 NS DiD GLX Manual, Alloy Bullbar, 2" lift, Bilstein shocks, King Springs, Kumho MT51, Oricom UHF088, Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Airtec Snorkel, Bushskinz Intercooler Guard, Boo's Sump and Tansmission Bash Plates

Comment

• kiwi1973
                              Valued Member
                              • Sep 2012
                              • New Zealand

For those who haven't subscribed to the new website, the first blog post went on today. It describes the three weeks we've spent in Vietnam while waiting for the Pajero to ship to Russia. It's not there yet, but is very very close, and then the real adventure begins.

Comment

• benckj
                                Valued Member
                                • Oct 2017
                                • Alexandra , New Zealand

Fantastic, hope it all goes to plan. What a family adventure of a lifetime.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X