• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • &Roo
    • Sep 2016
    • Croydon HIlls

Techniques for towing vans up hills

We’ve just driven some pretty mountainous country from Melbourne to Ballina via Dargo, Jindabyne and Tenterfield pulling a 2.5T van with our Auto 2013 NW.

Following the wisdom on this forum, we’re towing in 4H, 4th gear. Open road towing has been easy, but no surprises the Paj has struggled with a few of the hills.

I’m worried some of this is driver error from not selecting lower gears early enough and would love to know other drivers’ techniques for hills.

I’ve been aiming for good speed at the base and then to maintain 2500-3000rpm through the climb. Typically this means a change down to 3rd at 80-90kph (on the dial) peaking at a little over 3000rpm or the revs drop straight to low 2s and the speedo dives.

A couple of monsters have required another shift down to 2nd at around 50kph on the dial and a lot of encouragement.

(I don’t have any gauges ATM but have been reading the forums and know an ultragauge should be a priority on my eBay shopping list)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Pwoffey
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2013
    • Adelaide

I don't see that there's much you are doing wrong. If you had a Scangauge or Ultagauge etc, then I suspect you would change down a bit earlier as you see the ATF temp climb (and it does so very quickly). But at the end of the day you are asking a 4 cylinder 2.25T (kerb wt)/3T (fully loaded) tug to haul a 2.5T (loaded wt?) van up some long hard hills. It's not going to be zippy.
    BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX Auto, Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni Raid 90 front, Dobinson IMLrear shocks with Kings 34-HD springs front, 35-EHD rear, Brown Davis i/c, sump and transmission bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager pre-filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, Piranha steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, HPD catch can, LockUp Mate, Harrop front e-locker, DBA T3 rotors and Xtreme pads, Mark's 4WD reduction gears

Comment

• spot01
      Valued Member
      • Apr 2011
      • Adelaide

As mentioned, this usage results in very high ATF temps, which dramatically shortens the life of the fluid.

For heavy towing, the handbook shows ATF should be changed I think every 90k (check the book). Depending on history & kms, might be worth considering a change now - then you will know its good. Be sure to use the correct fluid (genuine if in any doubt) - its expensive, but transmissions are much more expensive. Note there are a few other service items that need to be done more frequently if doing much heavy towing, eg, oil/filter, etc (refer handbook).
      Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• Dicko1
        Valued Member
        • Dec 2014
        • Cairns, FNQ

Maybe aim for 2800-3400. That way as it starts to lose momentum it still has a bit more torque to use. A nearly 3 tonne brick pulling another 2.5 tonne brick up a hill is never going to be quick, let alone easy. Dont be afraid to use 3rd gear. Maybe try lighten the load as much as you can too.
        Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• NTBenny
          • May 2017
          • Newcastle

My recent exposure to towing a 2.8T van at Xmas had me constantly watching intake and transmission temps via my Scangauge. An unlocked converter quickly results in transmission temps approaching 110deg. With the converter locked I didn't see much more than 85deg. Intake temps can also quite easily hit 100deg. The other worrying temp is EGT. On big hills I was constantly seeing 600deg which is not good. I'm hoping to improve all this in the coming 6 months with an M&M Lockup, intercooler and possible tune.

As said above towing a big van is a lot to ask for a little 3.2L Paj. I estimate my weight to be 5.6T fully loaded.

Benny.
          2011 NT Pajero Platinum, DCS 80AH Extreme Battery, Stedi 8.5" LED driving lights, Bushskinz side steps & bash plates, Provent 200, Auto-mate TC lockup, Derale fan forced trans cooler, custom 3inch exhaust, JT intercooler, Bilstein + Lovells 2 inch lift, Airbag Man bags, DBA slotted rotors, braided brake lines, diff+gearbox+transfer breathers, Redarc boost & EGT gauge, Tuned by TME 141rwkw 598nm.

Comment

• CATs 4x4
            • Jun 2007
            • Centurion South Africa

Originally posted by NTBenny View Post
            My recent exposure to towing a 2.8T van at Xmas had me constantly watching intake and transmission temps via my Scangauge. An unlocked converter quickly results in transmission temps approaching 110deg. With the converter locked I didn't see much more than 85deg. Intake temps can also quite easily hit 100deg. The other worrying temp is EGT. On big hills I was constantly seeing 600deg which is not good. I'm hoping to improve all this in the coming 6 months with an M&M Lockup, intercooler and possible tune.

As said above towing a big van is a lot to ask for a little 3.2L Paj. I estimate my weight to be 5.6T fully loaded.

Benny.
            Benny

I don't think 600degC is too much for EGT in those circumstances, dependant in where the probe us situated. My reading on the matter has indicated that below 700degC is all good, so 600 is still well within usage limits I would think. Crazy high when you think of it, but still acceptable.

CATS

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk
            2001 Pajero NM 3.2 DiD GLS LWB Manual
            (Snoopy)Old Man Emu heavy duty suspension-now on Iron man, 265/75/16 BFG A/T tyres, ARB Sahara bar, Warn winch, KC Daylighter and Hella spots, 3 aux Batteries, ARB aircompressor, Safari Snorkel, Outback Roofrack, on board EGT and Tyre Pressure gauge. Factory rear difflock standard :-) - Sadly sold and missed dearly.
            2008 Pajero NS 3.2 DiDc GLS LWB Auto(Sylvester)-SOLD
            2009 Pajero NS 3.2 DiDc GLS LWB Auto(Casper)

Comment

• NTBenny
              • May 2017
              • Newcastle

Yeah problem is my probe is about 50mm off the back of the turbo in the dump pipe so I've taken 100deg off as a maximum.

Benny.
              2011 NT Pajero Platinum, DCS 80AH Extreme Battery, Stedi 8.5" LED driving lights, Bushskinz side steps & bash plates, Provent 200, Auto-mate TC lockup, Derale fan forced trans cooler, custom 3inch exhaust, JT intercooler, Bilstein + Lovells 2 inch lift, Airbag Man bags, DBA slotted rotors, braided brake lines, diff+gearbox+transfer breathers, Redarc boost & EGT gauge, Tuned by TME 141rwkw 598nm.

Comment

• &Roo
                • Sep 2016
                • Croydon HIlls

Thanks @pwoffey, @spot01, @Dicko1, @NTBenny - that’s been reassuring. Have ordered an ultraguage and will try to use this to ensure I’m being as kind to the auto as I can while towing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Boo Boo
                  • Aug 2012
                  • Kilsyth

I have installed a temp guage at the oil outlet from the transmission to the cooler so we are getting accurate temps
                  The speed at which the temperature increases amazed me and changing driving style has an enormous effect on the temperatures.
                  I even found out that coasting down a hill in 5th gear increases oil temp fairly quickly.
                  Towing a 2 ton van on a flat road in 4th gear oil will be around 80 degrees and any slight incline will see the temps rise pretty quickly.
                  Really happy we installed ours.
                  The next thing will probably be a torque convertor lock up kit just waiting on MM 4x4 to develop it for the NS.
                  2008 NS DID, Smart bar and warn winch, Boos Bash plates, ex nsw police car, Safair snorkel and 2 inch OME lift.

Comment

• Rovingman
                    Valued Member
                    • Jan 2014
                    • Blue mountains

I tow 2t and use 2nd and 3rd alot. Keeps the trans temp down considerably. With my oversized tyres i use 4th regularly just driving around.
                    Pajero NT RX 2011
                    Dark tint: Driftadraws:bushskinz set:tough dog lift:50lt waeco:MSA drop down slide: optima 66AH blue top: oricom cb:GME antenna:120w solar:narva 170 lights:hayman reese brake controller:18/265/65 BFG's :roof basket & bag:SPV MK3.1:ARB compressor: Donaldson fuel filter:breathers:Redarc 40amp:century 120AH dual batt: Blue tongue offroad trekka camper trailer :2016 winch n bar Airtek snorkel
                    LIVING THE DREAM!! My Build http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=44476

Comment

• Luke68
                      • May 2017
                      • Emerald victoria

Lock up converter

Can someone please clarify. My understanding was that when in sport mode all the gears were in lockup up. Am I wrong? If they're not locked up, what's the point of sports mode? And having to get a separate lock up kit is wasteful.
                      Cheers
                      Luke

Comment

• Pajshomoneroguntero
                        Valued Member
                        • Jul 2013
                        • Sydney

Originally posted by Luke68 View Post
                        Can someone please clarify. My understanding was that when in sport mode all the gears were in lockup up. Am I wrong? If they're not locked up, what's the point of sports mode? And having to get a separate lock up kit is wasteful.
                        Cheers
                        Luke
                        Yes, you’re wrong to believe sports mode locks the tc. The tc will lock when the computer says so given certain parameters being met. The lockup kit, be it a manual style like the Wholesale Automatics or a fully automatic version like M&M’s Lockup Mate, can engage the tc lock earlier and hold it for longer.

The auto in auto mode always chooses a gear too high than optimum for the situation. So the point of sports mode is to regain some control over which and when a gear is selected.

To say that a lockup kit is wasteful seems an off the cuff comment. For instance I can already see around a 1L/100km fuel burn saving using Lockup Mate.
                        NX GLS MY16 Auto: MM Towbar | Spare Lift Kit | Cooper ST MAXX 265/65R17 | SPVi Module mk3.1 | Autosafe Half Cargo Barrier | Torque Pro App | Donaldson 3um 2ndry Fuel Filter | Diff Breathers | GME4500 UHF | Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform | Roley's Rear Bash Plate | Bushskinz Underbody Protection | Airtec Snorkel | Onboard Compressor | Awning | ARB Deluxe Bar | Lightbar | Sherpa4x4 Winch | Bushskinz Sidesteps | Masten TPMS

Build Thread

Comment

• old Jack
                          Regular
                          • Jun 2011
                          • Adelaide, South Australia.

Hi Luke,

On the Gen 4 NT onwards the Aisin 5 speed auto trans is fitted, it has an electronically controlled torque convertor dampner clutch lockup in 3rd, 4th and 5th gears only. When the trans is in "D" the AT ECU tends to select one gear higher than what is really required so the TC does not lockup in most load conditions. If driving in manual mode and selecting the correct lower gear the TC will lockup if all the conditions are correct, problem is when the conditions change and the TC unlocks and the driver does not manual change down a gear. This results in the unlocked TC slipping and generating heat really fast so the ATF temps skyrocket, the problem is the ATF temps do not decrease as you go down the other side of the hill as the AT ECU unlocks the TC so the TC continues to slip.

Fitting a lockup kit and using it correctly when in manual shift mode will result in lower ATF temps and reduced fuel consumption.

There are 3 TC lockup kits that are available from;
                          1. Wholesale Automatics, this is PWM controlled electronics and 100% driver controlled.
                          2. Richards Auto, this is PWM controlled electronics with speed sensitive "off" control, so you can't forget to disable it but you still have to select it "ON"
                          3. Lockup Mate by MM4x4 is PWM controlled electronics with speed, engine load and accelerator position sensing to both engage and disengage the TC lockup fully automatically for the gear you have selected? Just turn it on and as soon as you start using manual gear shifts it will lock and unlock the TC without bypass the factory projections that the AT ECU provide. This is the newest and best option, developed by forum member M&M. It is also the cheapest of the 3 kits available.

OJ.
                          Last edited by old Jack; 03-05-18, 08:15 AM. Reason: Grammar correction
                          2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                          MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Flying
                            • Jul 2016
                            • Sydney

Please make a lock up mate for the PS next M&M!
                            White 2016 Pajero Sport GLS, MM bullbar, HR towbar + andersen hitch, towpro, lovells 2" lift, cooper at3's, bushskinz, thule bars, clearviews, redarc bcdc + 110ah lithium, engel MRF40 fridge, GME TX3350, cel-fi go, ultragauge, idrive, nitro maxx 22" LED bar, awning, cargo barrier, ARB compressor.

Comment

• old Jack
                              Regular
                              • Jun 2011
                              • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by Flying View Post
                              Please make a lock up mate for the PS next M&M!
                              The 8 speed Aisin auto in the Pajero Sport, already locks the TC in 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th gear and the TC lockup operational profile is quite complex so it could be very difficult to do a Lockup-Mate for this auto trans, it may not even be possible at all.

OJ.
                              2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                              MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X