• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Calspec
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2007
    • SA

DVD Headrests

Currently run a single 10" screen mounted to console between seats to keep Tin Lids entertained. However, I do find that it gets in the way and does restrict access to the console.

Am considering installing twin headrest DVD units instead. As we have an Exceed with leather seats was wondering about access to the inside of the seat structure to run all the wires. Has anyone had experience with this to give any tips (ie: easy to do without damaging seats, or don't bother, try something different?)

Regards,

Calspec
    01 NM Exceed 3.5l Auto, SVI LPG, Pacemakers, Alloy Bar, IPF lights, GME TX3440, OME/King Suspension, 2" Lift, Toyo OCII 75's, 2500Kg Tow Hitch, Milford Cargo Barrier, ARB Fridge, ABR Dual Battery isolator, Rear storage drawers, Hema Navigator 7, JVC 7" In dash DVD, TJM Compressor, 2.5T Hand winch and all the bits that go with it, and a 17' Jayco Westport.
  • cry_babys
    • Dec 2010
    • nsw

We have xls challenger with leather seats and have just finished installing 2 9inch headrest dvd players job took about 1 hour. The seat backs had zippers in both sides just a matter of un zipping and pulling the cable through ran it down and out with the airbag wiring and in to the centre console to take power off the cigarette lighter socket then just zip the covers back up. The kids love them and they look original
    good luck

Comment

• 4wd26
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2007
      • Bayside, Brisbane & Stradie

not done it with leather-

but with cloth seats just undid ONE of the bottom seat clips/ steel circles and was able to access the seat back quite comfortably with my fat Australian arms/ hands

would check how the leather seat back is attached- stretched to the seat bottom before ordering.
      ML triton with some accessories
      National E Trek Libary
      Getting Out There

Comment

• GOSSAMER
        Valued Member
        • Apr 2008
        • doncaster east vic

yep
        leather seats have 2 zippers holding the back panel on. fold them out at the bottom and unzip them and unclip it at the bottom. its a fairly easy job. i wired mine up to constant power. with our old ones they plugged into the cigarette plug and would restart every time i restarted the car so the kids would watch the first half of the movie a couple of times before seeing the end
        btw i got my 2 10 inch off ebay in hongkong for $270 delivered inc infra red headsets, and the black leather is a reasonable match.
        Back from the Dark side
        NT VRX, Ironbark, Dobinson suspension, Kanati muddies 275 65 18, Boo's bash plates (now with dents )

Comment

• Calspec
          Valued Member
          • Sep 2007
          • SA

Thanks for the replies. Will have a closer look at my seats to find any zips etc (have to remove lambswool covers first ).

Was looking at the eBay options. Quite a range in price. Most is out of China and probably all cost the same, different traders have different "profit margin" requirements. They seem to all have Sony Lenses in them - they all quite like to promote this fact. Gotta love the "Oz Seller" promotions as well, only to have the ad filled with Chinese mis-English (or is that Chinglish)

JasonW, have you had any quality issues with yours and how long since you installed them. I suspect that the headrest will be larger than the originals - might not be able to get the lambswool cover back on. I have covers on the seats so perfect match in leather not critical.

One last question, most say that they have MP3 capability. Do they allow playing of MP3 or WMA audio files straight off the flash card/drive?
          01 NM Exceed 3.5l Auto, SVI LPG, Pacemakers, Alloy Bar, IPF lights, GME TX3440, OME/King Suspension, 2" Lift, Toyo OCII 75's, 2500Kg Tow Hitch, Milford Cargo Barrier, ARB Fridge, ABR Dual Battery isolator, Rear storage drawers, Hema Navigator 7, JVC 7" In dash DVD, TJM Compressor, 2.5T Hand winch and all the bits that go with it, and a 17' Jayco Westport.

Comment

• NP_Pajero
            • Mar 2011
            • Great Southern WA

I insalled some headrest DVD plaers in my Headrest in my NP Exceed a couple of weeks ago..
            Very easy Job, as mentioned two zippers on the back of the seat. Where are you thinking of getting you power from?

If you have any questions please feel free to PM.. Can also e-mail pic's if that helps.

Happy Viewing

Comment

• Gus
              Administrator
              • Mar 2008
              • Traralgon. Vic

NP _Pajero why don't you post up the pics on here a few others may be interested to see.

Gus.
              VX 200 Series 4.5L Twin Turbo-Diesel V8 Landcruiser HERE
              NM Exceed 3.2 DID Auto Pajero. (SOLD) With a few Mods. HERE

How to get Forum Decals

Comment

• NP_Pajero
                • Mar 2011
                • Great Southern WA

Originally posted by Gus View Post
                NP _Pajero why don't you post up the pics on here a few others may be interested to see.

Gus.
                Will Do, i will get some up tonight.

Comment

• MTB
                  • Jan 2010
                  • Brisbane North

What about an Android tablet?

Calspec, have you considered one of the newish Android tablets? I am in a similiar position to you with 2 Tin lids and need some sort of entertainment in the back. I want a media player as I do not need the DVD side of things. I feel that playback of a DVD on dirt roads will skip.

A tablet will playback all formats of media, allow games and provide hours of fun etc. You would need one with 2 USB ports. Store a series of movies on a USB flash drive for playback and the rest on a portable HDD. When required just copy some different ones to the USB flash drive and away you go.

Apart from the purchase, the only things I need to work out are how to power the device and where to mount it/them in the back.

Sorry to hijack your thread, but just thought they are worth a look.

Cheers, Mark
                  2003 NP GLX 3.8 V6 Auto (01/10), factory alloy bar, cargo barrier (03/10), sump & tranny guards (04/10), rock sliders, duel batts and SD Lovells/Billes combo with poly's and 40L Engel (08/10) - Cape York (09/11)

Comment

• Calspec
                    Valued Member
                    • Sep 2007
                    • SA

MTB

Tablets are not something I had thought of. Worth considering for sure.

Pair of DVD headrests = $400 ish (range from about $200pr to about $1000pr)
                    Pair tablets = ?? (Guessing more than $200ea) Haven't looked yet.

But installation cost not only consideration. Portability, versatility, vibration issues. But also damage by mis-use, being dropped, sat on etc. Power and headphone cables - tangled mess in back seat, accidental damage.

Might get one for wife. May also have GPS/Mapping use as well.

Cheers,

Calspec

Comment

• Calspec
                      Valued Member
                      • Sep 2007
                      • SA

Just had a quick look, Android Tablets on ebay are about $200 a piece. Will definately weigh them up against DVD option. Very interesting.

Comment

• NP_Pajero
                        • Mar 2011
                        • Great Southern WA

Originally posted by Gus View Post

Gus.
                        Here's what i put into mine, very easy to install. I git my power from the power supply in the console, very easy to do also. Ran cables under the console half way along the seat slide with a little slack to allow for the seat to go back and forward... Can't see the cables so can't get any pic's.

The Units cost me under $200 for both with wirelss headphones. Bought on a Wednesday Night and at my door on the next Monday morning.. It's a good produce for the money, if i was not buying for a child i would look at a little better but kids don't know and they do the job very well...

Comment

• sharkcaver
                          "2000"+ Valued Contributor
                          • May 2009
                          • Perth

got a name of the seller? The fast postage has me interested.

Shane.
                          MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• NP_Pajero
                            • Mar 2011
                            • Great Southern WA

Originally posted by sharkcaver View Post
                            got a name of the seller? The fast postage has me interested.

Shane.

Price is a little higher then when i got mine in April.. mine was $194 with free shipping and headphones.. The AU $ is helping a little

Best of Luck hope it will suit your needs..

Comment

• sharkcaver
                              "2000"+ Valued Contributor
                              • May 2009
                              • Perth

cheers and thanks for that. I've been toying with the idea for a year now. The trouble and strife is starting to put the pressure on as I plan to go on tour soon with my 4year old (that'll be fun)

Shane.
                              MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X