• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jakewaze
    • Aug 2019
    • Baldivis

PA challenger 4wd issues

Hi everyone

Just purchased a PA challenger for cheap and despite giving it a good test drive, I didn't get to test out the 4wd system. Turns out it doesn't engage 😕

I've done a bit of googling but kind find my exact problem.

So with the ignition on, the 4wd light doesn't show (not sure if it's meant to)

I can engage 4h and 4 low but the light still doesn't come on. I don't think the front hubs are engaging, but the front drives haft starts turning if it's in 4h/4low.

Where would I start in trying to recitfy this. Since the front shaft is engaging fine, would manual hubs fix the problem?

Appreciate any help guys

Cheers
  • linds_72_99
    • Mar 2011
    • Melbourne

Hi Jakewaze,
    Front hubs are always engaged and front diff always spins when underway is my understanding. 4wd is engaged by a vacuum actuator. I'd be looking at this first. Will have a solenoid to activate so could be this or even as simple as leaks in the hoses/piping. I had intermittent problems with 4wd on my PA but always resolved itself after a while.

This post may offer some ideas where to look or sure someone else with more knowledge will chime in soon.

Can't remember if the 4wd dash lights flashed as soon as engaging 4wd. Light will go solid once fully engaged though.

Lindsay
    PC Challenger now
    PA Challenger for 10 years

Comment

• Jakewaze
      • Aug 2019
      • Baldivis

Cheers for that, I'll have a read. The car is going in on Friday for a timing belt change. I'll also have a chat to the mechanic about the issue

Originally posted by linds_72_99 View Post
      Hi Jakewaze,
      Front hubs are always engaged and front diff always spins when underway is my understanding. 4wd is engaged by a vacuum actuator. I'd be looking at this first. Will have a solenoid to activate so could be this or even as simple as leaks in the hoses/piping. I had intermittent problems with 4wd on my PA but always resolved itself after a while.

This post may offer some ideas where to look or sure someone else with more knowledge will chime in soon.

Can't remember if the 4wd dash lights flashed as soon as engaging 4wd. Light will go solid once fully engaged though.

Lindsay

Comment

• Wicks747
        • Oct 2014
        • Alice Springs

I had one. Did the exact same thing. It’s very common. You can pull off one of the vacuum lines under the bonnet as like a temp fix if you need 4wd to get your self out of trouble. But what I did was replaced the hubs with manual hubs and locked the front actuator. You 4wd lights won’t work but you will definitely have 4wd. Apparently it’s caused by a solenoid on top of the transfer case or a vacuum leak somewhere. It’s a good system when it works but once you start having problems there’s a lot of possibilities. I found it was easier to by pass it all
        Sold 2004 PA Challenger
        Current 2010 XLT Ford Ranger. TJM winch bar, ARB rear bar, Gme uhf, Goodyear Wranglers, dual battery, light force blitz 240s, hard korr lightbar, bushskinz bash plates. Helical torque lock lsd.

Comment

• Jakewaze
          • Aug 2019
          • Baldivis

I was driving home last night and decided to keep engaging/disengaging 4wd while I was driving. Eventually the 4wd light started flickering and after a while it was a solid flash. After a few seconds of solid flashing it engaged. Tried it out on some soft sand and it would go in and out instantly. I'm wondering if the 4wd system just hadn't been used in a while.

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
            Valued Member
            • May 2017
            • Sydney

PA challenger 4wd issues

When you say “solid flashing” do you mean the normal flashing when it’s trying to engaged, as opposed to flickering like a poorly connected light bulb would flicker?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Jakewaze
              • Aug 2019
              • Baldivis

Yes, so a solid light, but flashing as it's trying to engage. I got to try it out properly the other day and I think it's all good now. Engages quickly and without issue.
              Hopefully it's just sorted itself 🤞

Comment

• countman88
                • Feb 2018
                • brisbane

I understand it is recommended to drive in both hi and low 4wd for at least a short distance ( I do about 500metres in each) every few weeks to keep the system components working well and overcome issues like you have had.

Cheers
                KenD
                Brisbane

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X