• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anthony Rowe
    • Jul 2018
    • Busselton

Fuel Consumption

2016 MY17 QE Exceed

have had this car for about 3 weeks and am concerned that I'm using significantly more fuel than I expected based on what I'd read.
    I live in Busselton WA and a lot of my driving is at 100-110kph on the highway/freeway to Perth - trip is about 250km. the road is flat and straight, we're using cruise control, on 2WD and tyre pressures are correct. we're getting about 10.46l per 100k - consumption increased when roads were wet to the point we only got around 580k from a full tank. we've also driven without using cruise control and no difference.
    we went back to the dealer to have it checked out. they did a smallQ/injector relearn and fuel pump relearn. this has made no difference.
    has anyone else had a similar issue with fuel consumption?
    any suggestions of what might be the cause?
    thanks
  • Nairbr
    • Feb 2016
    • Perth

I average about 8.5 and do mostly freeway travelling measured tank to tank.

2 things I found is what diesel you buy, best for mine is BP, Caltex and Mobil. I have used Shell and Puma and get really bad economy into the high 8's to mid 9's

Also the car started to get decent economy after it had about 15000 or so K's on the clock and all the mechanicals started to free up.

Another factor is the freeway between Busselton to Perth usually has strong headwinds regardless of which direction you are travelling in.
    Last edited by Nairbr; 21-07-18, 02:35 PM.

Comment

• Brendo83
      • Jul 2018
      • Brisbane

What is your air filter like? Also pump tyres to 40 psi and give the engine a clean out so hold it at around 2600 to 3300 rpm for about 100km. This will help a little but in the 10's isn't bad for this car

Comment

• Keithyv
        Valued Member
        • May 2018
        • Perth

I don't have a Pajero Sport (but do have a Pajero) but that does seem high.

Do you have large roo bar, roof racks or any other non-standard things on the car?

On that equivalent trip I'd average less than 9l/100, probably a good bit less. (I'm in Perth)
        P.S. how are you measuring the consumption? Trip computer or actual amount filled?
        2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
        MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.

Comment

• OldPS
          • Mar 2016
          • Batemans Bay

That is high , under those conditions I would be getting 8.5 at worst , and I drive in 4wd with standard tyre pressures . I use whatever diesel is the cheapest and would be in top gear most of the time , from memory around 1700 rpm .
          Last edited by OldPS; 21-07-18, 05:14 PM.

Comment

• Whitehorse
            • Feb 2018
            • Wollongong

Originally posted by Anthony Rowe View Post
            2016 MY17 QE Exceed

have had this car for about 3 weeks and am concerned that I'm using significantly more fuel than I expected based on what I'd read.
            I live in Busselton WA and a lot of my driving is at 100-110kph on the highway/freeway to Perth - trip is about 250km. the road is flat and straight, we're using cruise control, on 2WD and tyre pressures are correct. we're getting about 10.46l per 100k - consumption increased when roads were wet to the point we only got around 580k from a full tank. we've also driven without using cruise control and no difference.
            we went back to the dealer to have it checked out. they did a smallQ/injector relearn and fuel pump relearn. this has made no difference.
            thanks
            Like another responder I have found different fuel effects the consumption. Travelling city Kms I have found on 3 different occasions that BP fuel will get me 30-40km more which is equal to 580km total travel when the light came on.
            On a recent trip to Canberra from Wollongong ( all highway Kms) and we averaged high 7's. This was using Mobil fuel.

Comment

• pfgrobler
              • May 2014
              • Centurion. South Africa

I'm getting mid 10 as well still under 15k so I'm hoping it will improve.

I do have bull bar and +1 size AT tires though

Comment

• Whitehorse
                • Feb 2018
                • Wollongong

Originally posted by pfgrobler View Post
                I'm getting mid 10 as well still under 15k so I'm hoping it will improve.

I do have bull bar and +1 size AT tires though
                I'd say that'd be contributing to it a bit, especially the tires.

Comment

• GeorgeJ
                  • Nov 2017
                  • Mandurah

Fuel consumption

I to have a 2017MY 2016 exceed and most of my driving is from Mandurah to Perth. I’ve recorded fuel consumption in a spreadsheet since new and always get between 8 to 9 ltrs per 100km. I run 38psi in tyres.
                  Also set the cruise control at 115km/hr when driving in the 110k zone. On my car (according to a gps unit) 113km on my Speedo is actually 110km. After doing 16700km i’m Still averaging 8.61 l/100k.
                  Last edited by GeorgeJ; 03-09-18, 11:32 PM. Reason: Extra info

Comment

• marlin1856
                    • Apr 2013
                    • Melbourne

If I keep mine at or under 80klms I get 8's to 9's but anything over that it jumps to 10.5 to 12.5 depending road conditions, seems high for a little motor? our second car (Maxda CX5) wont go over 8.5 no matter how hard I try.
                    2016 Pajero Sport Exceed Titanium

Comment

• Cannon
                      • Jun 2018
                      • Busselton, W.A.

Originally posted by Anthony Rowe View Post
                      2016 MY17 QE Exceed

thanks
                      I live in Busso too and will be driving to Perth in a couple of weeks, I'll zero my fuel meter and report back following that for you (brand spanking 2018 PS exceed with 1000km on the clock). For reference I use the shell service station on causeway road typically and will most likely fill up there on my way to Perth, I also usually travel in 2wd with cruise control as conditions permit. That way you'll get results from a very similar vehicle doing the exact same route.

Cannon

Comment

• littleriver
                        Valued Member
                        • Jan 2013
                        • Queensland

Originally posted by Cannon View Post
                        I live in Busso too and will be driving to Perth in a couple of weeks, I'll zero my fuel meter and report back following that for you (brand spanking 2018 PS exceed with 1000km on the clock). For reference I use the shell service station on causeway road typically and will most likely fill up there on my way to Perth, I also usually travel in 2wd with cruise control as conditions permit. That way you'll get results from a very similar vehicle doing the exact same route.

Cannon
                        With air-conditioning on?

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• Whitehorse
                          • Feb 2018
                          • Wollongong

Just did a trip to Canberra and back from Wollongong (3 hr drive) fully loaded up with camping gear including fully stacked roof racks. On the way home, doing highway Kms, air-conditioning on and travelling at 110kph I did 9.2 l/p100km.

Comment

• Cannon
                            • Jun 2018
                            • Busselton, W.A.

Originally posted by littleriver View Post
                            With air-conditioning on?

Hold on, it can be turned off?!

Climate control will be on for the entire drive.
                            Last edited by Cannon; 31-07-18, 09:45 AM.

Comment

• Whitehorse
                              • Feb 2018
                              • Wollongong

Originally posted by Cannon View Post
                              Hold on, it can be turned off?!

Climate control will be on for the entire drive.
                              Sorry, climate control on.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X