• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bru9
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2014
    • Victoria

Butane portable cooker had flames coming out from the inside

I had my gasmate going the other day for only a few minutes in a reasonable windy conditions boiling water in a 20cm wide pot. Then I noticed orange redy flames coming out the unit between the burner & the butane cartridge through various gaps, it looked a bit like the top part of the cartridge was on fire. I quickly turned it off & got back just in case the butane canister would explode.

Prior to this I have used these things in windy conditions for 5-10mins at a time with no problems.

I'm not sure if it was a slight leak in the pipes that the wind helped ignite. Or the fact my cartridge had been sitting in storage for a few years?

I think it's not worth messing with these things at all, & that I will just go back to the 2kg LPG & stove.
    2000 NM Exceed Auto V6 3.5
  • Vaughan
    • Sep 2015
    • Melton, Vic

I also experienced what you describe just the other day, although I had been using tinfoil to shield the flame from the wind and it was a forty hot day. I guess it overheated. Lesson learned there, but is the first and only time I have had that happen in 10 years or so.

There has to be a good option out there. The little gasmate stoves are great for size, and are really convenient. However, they are useless in cold and windy environments. The gas stoves that use a proper gas bottle are great even in cold and wind, but are not as convenient due to needing big gas bottle etc.

My wife got me a Furno Stove for Christmas, is an awesome little unit, but only really good for cuppas for 1 or 2 people and small meals.

Does anyone else know of any good options for families? Or is the good old Coleman and gas bottle the best bet?

PS. Sorry to hijack!

Comment

• wazza5
      • Jan 2015
      • WA

Butane portable cooker

Guys
      These cooker were banned in many states and new types only just released.

The main problem is the use of oversize pans being used which results the cannister being subject to heat.

New one have a warning regarding the size of pans be used.

Great cookers if used correctly.

Comment

• Bru9
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2014
        • Victoria

Originally posted by wazza5 View Post
        Guys
        These cooker were banned in many states and new types only just released.

The main problem is the use of oversize pans being used which results the cannister being subject to heat.

New one have a warning regarding the size of pans be used.

Great cookers if used correctly.
        Is a 20cm wide pot too big? the issues with the canister overheating doesn't seem to be what I experienced at all. For one it was within just 5mins on a 30degree C day with wind blowing the heat away from the unit.

I noticed kmart doesn't have the old gasmate ones but a new brand. still I think they are flirting with disaster at only 25bucks a unit.

I just assumed they were a petty safe thing which was a bad mistake.
        2000 NM Exceed Auto V6 3.5

Comment

• Billy500
          • Aug 2016
          • Brisbane

Same problem here. Got rid of all my old butane cookers and purchased a new Primus butane cooker, they are along the same lines as the gas mates but are some $10 dearer for some reason. I purchased the wind deflector that goes around three sides and works a treat. First time I used it when heating a small kettle of water I hade the same problem as you with flames coming from the inside near the canister. I turned it off and tried a new canister which worked ok, but the next morning the same problem.
          I returned the unit to The supplier who were surprised but changed it for another one. Used this all week at Stradbroke and all was well.
          Don't know why.
          2002 NM 3.5L V6 Auto GLS, Cooper Discovery AT3, 2" Bilsen King lift, Orion VHF/UHF radios,LED Spot light, Rear drawers, Waeco CFX 50 and slide, 120 amp dual batteries, 2.5x2.5 awning with side shades.

Comment

• G Potter
            • Apr 2012
            • Colac

Coleman dual fuel stoves are a option, I have had mine for at least 10 years now it is the 414 model. You can use shellite or unleaded petrol to run it shellite runs much hotter.
            Cheers
            Greg

Comment

• Lakey
              • Apr 2012
              • Brisbane

Once upon a time there used to be a whole range of bottle sizes available. I have a couple of small ones, now out of date but will get then tested again as it is a pain to carry even a 1.25kg one for a weekend when it's not needed. All the new ones have the external valve with the collar around at the top taking up space.

My old Primus ones have an internal valve and no tap making them more compact though they do need a separate tap and adaptor. But that makes them more compact and less space hungry.

You can still get the small .34kg cylinders for gas hand tools http://www.gasweld.com.au/pri2000-pr...internal-valve. Not much different to the cartridges in size. A bit exy to buy initially but should be cheap enough to refill.
              Cheers
              Lakey

2012 PB Challenger LS manual. White, tinted windows, MM towbar, Rhino Aero Sportz Bars, otherwise pretty much bog standard.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X