• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jared01
    • Dec 2016
    • Sydney

How to remove roof rails to check for rust underneath

Hello,

I would like to undo and remove the roof rails to check for any possible rust underneath before warranty runs out.

It looks like I may need a star tool to unscrew the plastic part first.

Is this correct. Photo attached of screw I think may need removal first.
    Attached Files
    2019 Pajero Sport GLS | Factory Alloy Bullbar | BFGoodrich T/A KO2 265/60/18 Tyres | Hayman Reese Towbar | Rhino Roof Racks | Uniden 8060S and AT970BK Twin Aerial | Safari Snorkel
  • stevemc181
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2012
    • Thornlie/Perth

Originally posted by jared01 View Post
    Hello,

I would like to undo and remove the roof rails to check for any possible rust underneath before warranty runs out.

It looks like I may need a star tool to unscrew the plastic part first.

Is this correct. Photo attached of screw I think may need removal first.
    You'll need to start by removing the interior roof lining to get access to the roof rail bolts. Not a job for the feint hearted.
    2012 NW Activ with all the fruit, stripped what I could for my new build and handed over to the Mrs as a daily driver.

Current vehicle: 2016 Y61 GU Patrol Legend series Auto, (Last of the Breed)
    3505kg GVM Upgrade and 2" Lift | Warn XD 9000 Winch | Factory steel bar, towbar, snorkel, alloy roof rack | 285/70/17 (33") Mickey T ATZ P3's | 3" Manta Exhaust | ORS Drawer System | Manual Boost Controller | ECU Remap |

Comment

• twisted32
      • Jan 2015
      • Adelaide

It depends on how far you want to pull it all apart. If you want to get down to the rain channels then yes you need to get under the roof lining at each of the six mounting points to access the nuts.
      However, the rail ends (front and back) are bolted to a sandwich plate, which is in turn bolted through the roof. If you take the plastic covers off the front and rear points (on the inside, they will just pop off with some assistance) you will see two M6 bolts that hold the rail to the sandwich plate. If you undo these and the star drive screw you mentioned, you may be able to slide the plastic end piece off to see further (I have not removed the end piece from the rail, so not 100% sure it will just slide out). You will however still have the sandwich plate and the rubber obscuring your view, but you might have more access.
      Note the centre mount is only 1 M6 stud/nut through the roof, so this will not work there.
      Sorry I don't have any pictures, I only just put mine back together on Sunday....
      MY14 GLX Pajero DID auto with Lift, 265/70 R17 Yoki X-AT's, Full Bushskinz plates , Scotts Rods 3" TBE, Johnny Tig FMIC, TME ECU remap, Provent, OL Bullbar, Ironman 9500lbs winch, dual batteries, Lockup mate lite, nomad valve body, aeroflow AF72-6000 transmission cooler with 9" fan and radiator cooler bypass, 3.15 reduction gears, traction contol mod (on/off), Uniden 8080S, flappy paddles, Rhino flat rack mounted on ARB rails, 42" Stedi ST3K light bar and custom drawers

Comment

• Russell T
        • Jun 2014
        • Bunbury WA

These pics might help from my left rear mount on NW
        Attached Files
        Cheers, Russell

2014 VRX ARB deluxe bar 17 inch BFGs, Redarc BCDC charger dual batteries, Blue Tounge compressor, Boosbashplates, traction control mod, LRA aux tank, HD Lovell springs Bilstein shocks

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
        Working...
        X