• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wazza87
    • Apr 2015
    • Gold Coast

Intercooler upgrade

Hey guys,
    Does anyone know if a Gen 2 cooler will bolt straight up to a gen 1 engine bay?
    Are gen 2 coolers more efficient or better in anyway?
    What is the extra pipe on the gen 2, turbo side of the cooler? (Pic attached)

Cheers
    Attached Files
    -jero- 1990 SWB NG TDi import, 33'' BFG KM2 muddies on 15x8 'sunnies', steel winch bar, custom rock sliders, Steel roof rack, Domin8r 12,000lb winch, 2.5" straight through exhaust, Allisport TM intercooler, Boost Tee, EGR delete, 22' LED bar, GME UHF + GME antenna, high gain fm/am antenna, duel batteries, 2in lift - Lovells springs and Gabriel shocks/struts + tough dog torsion bars, snorkel, catch can, diff breathers, VDO boost, oil pressure & EGT gauges, fusion speakers, more to come...
  • wazza87
    • Apr 2015
    • Gold Coast

Cant upload more than 1 image so here is the same intercooler as mine without the extra random pipe. Maybe its to help stabilize the boost? My intercooler loses about 2.5psi between turbo and manifold. I have two boost gauges.

Cheers
    Attached Files
    -jero- 1990 SWB NG TDi import, 33'' BFG KM2 muddies on 15x8 'sunnies', steel winch bar, custom rock sliders, Steel roof rack, Domin8r 12,000lb winch, 2.5" straight through exhaust, Allisport TM intercooler, Boost Tee, EGR delete, 22' LED bar, GME UHF + GME antenna, high gain fm/am antenna, duel batteries, 2in lift - Lovells springs and Gabriel shocks/struts + tough dog torsion bars, snorkel, catch can, diff breathers, VDO boost, oil pressure & EGT gauges, fusion speakers, more to come...

Comment

• TheBanana
      • Aug 2013
      • Brisbane QLD

The random pipe is called a blanch pipe, it's there have to help "store" some of the boost in sudden pressure changes, like gear changes so you get better throttle response after the gear change. Probably wouldn't make much of a difference with or without though
      1983 NA SWB with a 4d56t, running 14psi through a custom water to air intercooler, 2.5in turbo back exhaust, Kinugawa adjustable wastegate, Boost and EGT gauges, Snorkel, Provent Catch Can, Manual Hub conversion, 40mm EFS lift, ARB Bullbar, Aluminium roof rack, awning, 31'' BF-G KO2's on 15x8 -23 steelies, Factory Flares, 41" light bar on the roof, lightforce strikers up front, and a set of much needed cup holders

Comment

• techlegend
        • Jan 2014
        • Sri Lanka

Originally posted by wazza87 View Post
        Cant upload more than 1 image so here is the same intercooler as mine without the extra random pipe. Maybe its to help stabilize the boost? My intercooler loses about 2.5psi between turbo and manifold. I have two boost gauges.

Cheers
        Mounting points to the body also looks different. I have heard that Gen 2 Intercooler is bigger than Gen 1. So theoretically it can provide more cooling power.

Comment

• wazza87
          • Apr 2015
          • Gold Coast

I cant find Blanch pipe anywhere on goooogle. Does it have another name? Obviously its better to have on than not, as they were omitted from earlier models. It looks like it would create turbulence though? From what I inderstand the easier air travels through, the lower the pressure drop.

Maybe if someone has one, they can measure the mounting dimensions. I Will measure mine up tomorrow, post results, and if someone ends up reading this post maybe they'll do me a favour!

My intercooler is pretty banged up, I want to replace it. This is why I am considering upgrading to a Gen 2 version.

Cheers

Comment

• TheBanana
            • Aug 2013
            • Brisbane QLD

The pressure drop you're getting would most likely be from how thin the factory coolers core tubes are. And the gen 2 cooler looks to be the same sort of core size to the gen 1. Theres only one way to find out if the gen 2 one makes a difference, by fitting it lol. I know allisport.com in the UK do an upgrade intercooler with larger tubes but they're pretty damn expensive.

Here's a link to another paj forum for the blanch pipe

And the allisport cooler
            1983 NA SWB with a 4d56t, running 14psi through a custom water to air intercooler, 2.5in turbo back exhaust, Kinugawa adjustable wastegate, Boost and EGT gauges, Snorkel, Provent Catch Can, Manual Hub conversion, 40mm EFS lift, ARB Bullbar, Aluminium roof rack, awning, 31'' BF-G KO2's on 15x8 -23 steelies, Factory Flares, 41" light bar on the roof, lightforce strikers up front, and a set of much needed cup holders

Comment

• wazza87
              • Apr 2015
              • Gold Coast

Yeah for sure mitsi put it there for a reason.

Maybe if a few people are keen we could bulk buy some of those intercoolers. They are only $550 aud atm. Pound not so strong atm? Combined shipping wouldnt be much.

Thanks for the input Banana

Comment

• wazza87
                • Apr 2015
                • Gold Coast

Allisport intercooler

£64.04 is the cost for shipping.
                That brings the total cost for intercooler and shipping to $660.
                I don not have any idea what a custom one would cost to make here in aus?this price seems fairly reasonable and price can be lower if I can get a group buy together. Would anyone be interested?

Comment

• wazza87
                  • Apr 2015
                  • Gold Coast

Intercooler

Well there it is. I am going to do a full write up on this bad boy so I guess im the guinea pig here. First impressions are great! Really well put together and the craftsmanship is fantastic!
                  Attached Files

Comment

• RUGGA
                    Valued Member
                    • Nov 2014
                    • Adelaide

Good on ya. Looks good. Look forward to the write up.
                    02 NM 3.2, Auto, Exceed, I/C and sump guards, L&B 2" lift, 265/75/16 OPAT2.

Comment

• GHostNizal
                      • Nov 2016
                      • Plane-t earth

likewise, keen to see if you gain a noticeable difference...

Comment

• Exceeder
                        • Aug 2013
                        • Hobart TASMANIA

MAAAD!
                        Def keen to see results too!
                        Remember to seal up the fresh air supply so its forced into the core not around it!

Comment

• Mcreight911
                          • Jun 2013
                          • South Burnett, QLD

Allisport tell me they use the same core as a front mount on a land-rover up to 200hp . Would be plenty for a mildly modified 4m40. It was desiggned with input from tested by the Pajero club UK
                          2.8 Mk triton, Vnt turbo , front mount intercooler, 2.75" exhaust ,ipf 70w hid spotties, 50w hid projector retro fitted headlights. 2 inch arb/sax lift . 2 inch body lift

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X