X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • t0ne
    • Jun 2010
    • Adelaide

These things are being banned from all the mine sites now apparently.
    2005 NP MY06 DiD Auto Exceed, Nudge bar, IPF spot lights, rear DVD for the kids.(being added) long range tank, poly airs, heavy duty springs, dual battery, slotted rotors. New van: 2013 Jayco starcraft 22.68.1

Comment

• Stoneman
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2012
      • Melbourne

Originally posted by t0ne View Post
      These things are being banned from all the mine sites now apparently.
      Do you have any info?
      NS Pajero Exceed. With stuff

Comment

• t0ne
        • Jun 2010
        • Adelaide

Originally posted by Stoneman View Post
        Do you have any info?
        Apparently they cant take the riggers of the mines and are starting to fall apart, starting to swap back to hilux and Landcruiser tray tops.
        2005 NP MY06 DiD Auto Exceed, Nudge bar, IPF spot lights, rear DVD for the kids.(being added) long range tank, poly airs, heavy duty springs, dual battery, slotted rotors. New van: 2013 Jayco starcraft 22.68.1

Comment

• Dazza.
          Valued Member
          • Aug 2009
          • Northern Territory

Apparently they cant take the riggers of the mines and are starting to fall apart, starting to swap back to hilux and Landcruiser tray tops.
          I call bullshit

I've heard nothing but great things about them. Probably one-eyed Toyota supporters feeding the rumour
          COOL SILVER MY10 NT DID GLS MANUAL PAJERO - Colour Coded ARB Deluxe Bullbar - Warn X9 Winch - 60L Auxiliary Tank - Towbar - HID Lightforce Spotlights - DIY dual battery system - TX3440 UHF - Lovells/Bilstien suspension - BushSkinz bash plates - Driver with a passion to explore Australia

Comment

• mckenzl
            • Mar 2013
            • WA

My agronomist PX ranger has done over 100K km now and has few issues particularly with the front suspension. It has a bad knock noise and won't keep a good alignment. May just his driving. But I think it is the car too.

About 2 inches from the edge of the tyre there is a blue wire on both sides completely exposed. I think it has something to do with the traction control but it will be butchered on mine before too long.

350km today and a 1/4 of a tank so economy getting better. Power is also freeing up. Still much prefer the ride and drivability in my NS. Like any ute better with a bit of weight in the back.

I wouldn't rush into owning one of these myself as yet. But I am drunk and a bit bias toward the paj in any case.

Liam
            Sold. 2007 NS VRX DID

Now. Isuzu MU-X MY17 LST

Comment

• t0ne
              • Jun 2010
              • Adelaide

Originally posted by Dazza. View Post
              I call bullshit

I've heard nothing but great things about them. Probably one-eyed Toyota supporters feeding the rumour
              I actually work for a Toyota Dealership, they have ordered the new Hilux

But my wife owns and drives a Pajero

So im not one eyed

Comment

• Dazza.
                Valued Member
                • Aug 2009
                • Northern Territory

I actually work for a Toyota Dealership, they have ordered the new Hilux

But my wife owns and drives a Pajero

So im not one eyed
                So a mine has ordered a few Hilux's? Must be case closed then eh?

Never mind the fact that some of the remote NT mines have Rangers and the boys love 'em. And the NT is Toyota country!

They still have Hilux's and Landcruisers, but they are still ordering New Ranger's too.

In fact one site has ordered and received a Great Wall and one of those ugly Indian or chinese utes SsanYong or whatever they're called as trial cars.
                COOL SILVER MY10 NT DID GLS MANUAL PAJERO - Colour Coded ARB Deluxe Bullbar - Warn X9 Winch - 60L Auxiliary Tank - Towbar - HID Lightforce Spotlights - DIY dual battery system - TX3440 UHF - Lovells/Bilstien suspension - BushSkinz bash plates - Driver with a passion to explore Australia

Comment

• t0ne
                  • Jun 2010
                  • Adelaide

Originally posted by Dazza. View Post
                  So a mine has ordered a few Hilux's? Must be case closed then eh?

Never mind the fact that some of the remote NT mines have Rangers and the boys love 'em. And the NT is Toyota country!

They still have Hilux's and Landcruisers, but they are still ordering New Ranger's too.

In fact one site has ordered and received a Great Wall and one of those ugly Indian or chinese utes SsanYong or whatever they're called as trial cars.
                  EDIT: Decided i wont get involved in the arguement.
                  Last edited by t0ne; 10-09-14, 05:26 PM.

Comment

• old Jack
                    Regular
                    • Jun 2011
                    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Story I heard was that the BT50/Ranger were being specified in mine sites due to its 5 star safety rating and needing a 1000kg payload, by the OHWS boffins. Issue was that when used underground they were falling apart within 6 months on the underground severely compacted and rippled roads that occur due to caterpillar tracked heavy vehicles and machinery, I do not know how long a 70 Series last underground and have been told that Hilux's are only used for above ground operations.

The BT50/Ranger has the strongest chassis of all the mid size utes including the Hilux but its is not up to the same strength as a 70 Series which has a 1300kg payload in single cab and 1100kg in dual cab.

cheers, old Jack.
                    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Bogger
                      Unregistered as asked
                      • May 2011

Well all I can say is I've seen the Ranger advert and the Hilux salesman would have to be damn good looking to sway me to one

Comment

• Kingbrown
                        Valued Member
                        • Apr 2012
                        • Port Augusta - SA

Yep, riggers (sic) are a rough mob
                        2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

• mckenzl
                          • Mar 2013
                          • WA

6300km now. Runs well but efficiency is poor. 12.4L per 100km. First emergency break this morning for a big roo. Pulled left badly and all manor of dash lights lit up. Pulled up well for an unloaded ute tho. Still prefer the PJ. Drivers seat is uncomfortable. I think it is built for a sub 90kg. I'm over 100

Liam
                          Sold. 2007 NS VRX DID

Now. Isuzu MU-X MY17 LST

Comment

• grhyso
                            Valued Member
                            • Aug 2012
                            • Perth

Originally posted by mckenzl View Post
                            6300km now. Runs well but efficiency is poor. 12.4L per 100km. First emergency break this morning for a big roo. Pulled left badly and all manor of dash lights lit up. Pulled up well for an unloaded ute tho. Still prefer the PJ. Drivers seat is uncomfortable. I think it is built for a sub 90kg. I'm over 100

Liam
                            Without having long periods behind the wheel of other 4wds I can only say I am very unimpressed by the NT Pajero seat at least. I get a sore back after about 2 hours and there is close to zero lateral support. I've resorted to having to tense my core to not fall out the seat whilst turning (maybe my younger days with sports cars shows through). I haven't driven a PX Ranger but the BT-50 seat was pretty comfy and the VW was probably the best, felt like a sports seat out of a Golf or the like, really tucked in nicely.

It's still interesting to read your comparisons, we no longer have other 4bys at work so all I can compare the Paj to is my wifes ford focus, a 2wd triton and a couple of hyundai iloads.
                            2010 NT GLS DiD Auto Silver | TJM T13 Bullbar | Lightforce LED 180 Spotlights | Runva 11XP | Dual Batteries | TJM snorkel | Bushskinz & TJM bash plates | Custom alloy roof rack | Sunseeker II Awning | MDC RTT | EGR Block | Bilstein/Lovells | Dick Cepek Fun Country tyres | Wet seat seatcovers | Uniden UH7760NB | Parrot Asteroid Smart | Morel, Soundstream and Kicker Audio | MM Cargo Barrier | Storage Drawer | Onboard water system |

See our latest adventures at http://www.treksandtinroofs.com

Comment

• mckenzl
                              • Mar 2013
                              • WA

Booked in for 15k service. Economy has got worse but putting that down to a lot of stop drive 1m stop drill hole upto 1000 times a day. Thank god it is an auto. It seems to have a smart aircon? Doesn't work when stopped which is not nice in 45 degree paddocks. Front left tyre is showing visible signs of ware on the outside.

However. The power seems to have freed up a little and it has no trouble at all pulling a big load of chemicals. And finally the new car stink is gone! I no longer get a headache every time I hop in it

Liam
                              Sold. 2007 NS VRX DID

Now. Isuzu MU-X MY17 LST

Comment

• cookie
                                • Feb 2008
                                • Perth

I've heard that in the pilbara BHP's trial of the Rangers and Amarok's showed they weren't quite up to it compared to the hilux. Amarok's had heaps of probs, Rangers not too bad. There's prob some bias given their whole light vehicle system is setup with Toyota's.
                                However I don't think it's any surprise that Toyota quality systems produce a better quality vehicle than Ford but I thought the VW's would be better.
                                It's a pretty extreme environment though so prob doesn't mean much for more domestic use.
                                2014 NW GLX
                                ----------------------------------------------
                                Previously: 98 Challenger, 2 inch lift, koni shocks, ARB bullbar, Lightforce 240 Blitz, redarc dual battery sys, UHF, bushman fridge, Wrangler ATR's

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X