X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tarjla
    • Apr 2009

Genuine auto transmission oil for NT

Hi,I was going to change the auto trans fluid in my NT diesel.When I rang a dealer to ask the cost of genuine fluid they said they only sell it in 20L drums and want $470 for it Have any of you bought smaller amounts,I was told you could buy 5 litres for $40 for NS models
  • marquis
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2007
    • Newcastle

The MY10 on has a different trans compared to previous years

What year model is yours?
    --
    Marquis
    SOLD - NT MY10 DiD, ARB D/Bar, Airtec, LRA 81L, Bil/Lov 2", BCDC1220+AGM, P3

Comment

• Pickle
      Administrator
      • Jun 2007
      • All over Oz

NT runs the new Aisin auto. Oil volume is 10.9 ltrs as compared to NS 9.7 ltrs.
      Dave
      NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
      Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

• tarjla
        • Apr 2009

Mine was registered first in May 09,it has the 4M41 ENGINE,does that mean the oil change is at 195k,how can you tell if you have the v5awf auto transmission
        Last edited by tarjla; 22-06-11, 12:17 AM.

Comment

• PJPlatinum
          • Apr 2011
          • NSW

As others have said the NT Aisin trans does not use the SPIII spec trans fluid as previous models have. As far as I have found there is no aftermarket oil that meets the current oil spec from mitsubishi. I did a complete flush on my parents NT that had 110,000km on using the genuine oil (the dealer sold me 10L - they kindly put it in containers I supplied as they could only get it in 20L drums which they had in the workshop) The old oil was black and burnt, definitely needed a flush.
          I am a mechanic with my own business, I would never use anything but genuine transmission fluid in any vehicle if I wasn't confident the replacement fluid met or exceeded the manufacturer's requirements. I know a local mechanic recently used non-genuine trans fluid in a late model hyundai which a short time later suffered a complete failure - The dealer carried out the repair and Hyundai claim the failure was a result of the incorrect fluid being used... I would not want to be on the receiving end of that invoice
          I see no reason a careful person could not carry out the Flush at home. Just like any other vehicle in essence. The level is checked with the transmission at normal operating temperature - ie after a minimum 10 minute drive, the fluid should be level with the fill plug, if u want to be completely accurate (without a scan tool) insert the probe from a digital thermometer through the fill plug into the trans fluid while the vehicle is running and monitor the fluid temp - when it reaches the specified temp and the fluid is filled to the bottom of the fill plug, insert the plug and your done!
          The part number for the genuine fluid is 4030401. There are aftermarket listings for fluid but all the ones I found say to only use outside of warranty period - ie the are not approved for use by the manufacturer. Even though they cost me 1/2 of what the genuine fluid costs me I would never use it in my own car let alone a customers. Not worth the risk in my opinion.
          Hope that helps
          As a side note I have found the Nulon Red multi vehicle ATF is an excellent replacement where SPIII is specified - long story short its service life seems to exceed that of Genuine SPIII significantly before discolouring or affecting shift quality.
          2011 MY11 Pajero Platinum. Smartbar, Warn XD9000, Lightforce Driving Lights, Lovells Springs, Rear DVD screen, Front Tint.
          Wishlist: UHF CB, Bilsteins, Dual Batteries, Mickey Thompson MTZ's, Cargo Barrier - for a start...

Comment

• DaveH
            Valued Member
            • Dec 2010
            • sydney

It is interesting whether we can use an aftemarket auto fluid in the Aisin gearboxes. My local repair shop told me that the Penrite product was OK. I emailed Penrite saying

"I have a 2010 Mitsubishi Pajero NT 3.2 turbo diesel auto with super select II. It is the new fully sealed auto. Mitsubishi say the only auto fluid that can be used is DIA QUEEN ATF-PA. Your web says I can use ATF FS MULTI VEHICLE FULLY SYNTHETIC TRANS FLUID. Can you please confirm your auto fluid is the same as the Mitsubishi recommended product and using your product will not void my warranty."

the reply came back

"Our products ATF FS and ATF MHP both meet this specification, but these are our own manufacture so, of course, are not exactly the same as the one made for (or by) Mitsubishi themselves. We will fully back our ATF FS in your application and your warranty is not voided by its use.
            Regards,
            Alan Jeffery"
            2010 NT DiD Platinum, MM tow bar, Red Arc electric brake controller, ARB Delux bullbar, Ultimate HD suspension and shocks, Engineers cert for GVM upgrade, Airtech snorkle, Cooper ST Maxx, 2nd Battery+ extra sockets, catch can, intercooler/ sump/ transmission guard, scan guage II, Hid driving lights, Ironman awning, daytime driving lights + other little bits

Comment

• schnitzel
              Valued Member
              • Dec 2009
              • Bendigo

I find it interesting that the OEM supplier notes refer to dealer on their recommendation charts.
              This used to mean that the manufacturer had not released the specs to the aftermarket suppliers so how can an aftermarket supplier be sure it meets the requirements.
              Current vehicles: 2017 Toyota Hilux, 2022 Hyundai Kona,2022 VW T-Cross1995 3.5l nj Pajero , 1995 2.8td Mitsubishi Delica,2011 , 2 x 1971 ta 22 celicas, 74 ta 22 celica, ke 35 corollla with 18rg, 95 gtr 1000, 79 leyland terrier bus ( 350 chev),1978 ke 35 corolla, 1980 ra 40 celica 18rgeu,2011 agricat jd495,chamberlain g6 plus a few other odds and ends

Comment

• DaveH
                Valued Member
                • Dec 2010
                • sydney

I found it interesting too. I made no comment just quoted the correspondance.
                2010 NT DiD Platinum, MM tow bar, Red Arc electric brake controller, ARB Delux bullbar, Ultimate HD suspension and shocks, Engineers cert for GVM upgrade, Airtech snorkle, Cooper ST Maxx, 2nd Battery+ extra sockets, catch can, intercooler/ sump/ transmission guard, scan guage II, Hid driving lights, Ironman awning, daytime driving lights + other little bits

Comment

• TheTaipan
                  Banned
                  • Jan 2009
                  • sydney

Been running Valvoline in mine for over 180,000Ks with no ill effects. Has full flush every 45,000Ks.

Anyone that leaves auto fluid in for longer than 45,000 is asking for trouble.

Running Valvoline engine oil for over 220,000Ks that is changed every 7,500Ks also with no will no ill effects.

I think people worry about OEM way to much.

Comment

• schnitzel
                    Valued Member
                    • Dec 2009
                    • Bendigo

Originally posted by TheTaipan View Post
                    Been running Valvoline in mine for over 180,000Ks with no ill effects. Has full flush every 45,000Ks.

Running Valvoline engine oil for over 220,000Ks that is changed every 7,500Ks also with no will no ill effects.

I replace mine every 250000k in a gen 2 and the box has never had any more than the sump removed and the filter replaced and I run Castrol . i.e. mine has been serviced twice in the 520000 k i have done it, I dont know what the original owner did for the first 90000k.

Agood synthetic trans oil should easily cope with 90000k. The synthetics they use in bus transmissions doing route work get 120000k between services and we dont treat ours anywhere near as harshly.
                    Current vehicles: 2017 Toyota Hilux, 2022 Hyundai Kona,2022 VW T-Cross1995 3.5l nj Pajero , 1995 2.8td Mitsubishi Delica,2011 , 2 x 1971 ta 22 celicas, 74 ta 22 celica, ke 35 corollla with 18rg, 95 gtr 1000, 79 leyland terrier bus ( 350 chev),1978 ke 35 corolla, 1980 ra 40 celica 18rgeu,2011 agricat jd495,chamberlain g6 plus a few other odds and ends

Comment

• csimic
                      Valued Member
                      • Mar 2012
                      • Maitland

Originally posted by TheTaipan View Post

agree totally, mah
                      2010 Pajero VRX auto wagon, Cooper A/T 3's, 40mm lift, Lovells, Bilsteins, Polyair bags, Factory Nudge bar, driving lights, dual air cond, DVD player (rear) Hayman Reese Super Heavy Duty Tow bar, Bushskinz front/intercooler and engine sump, Polaris towing camera system, Clearview Mirrors, tows 2013 dual axle Jayco Outback Discovery Caravan. Redlec battery shutoff, Polaris HUD speedo. 400LMT Navman GPS. GME 88 channel UHF Radio. Bendix Stealth 4WD Disc Pads

Comment

• tuscanmotorist
                        • May 2010
                        • Brisbane

I had the misfortune of being supplied SP III by my MM parts dept for my NT Diesel.https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum.../smilies/dunno[1].gif

When I took it in for the TX reflash the mechanic picked the mistake as I left the invoice ( to prove id used their oil) .

Give MM their dues the MM Parts department supplied a 20l of the correct ATF at no charge $470 worth. I used it all in a full flush but still had a shudder in 4th post using the wrong fluid.

Back in next week for the transmission reflash so crossed fingers.

Message is I never had an issue with the NM and used Penrite but the Aisin box in the NT diesel and MM programming of the proportional torque converter lockup means do not mess with alternatives!

Suck it up and do it right cos that box/ programming combo is bloody fragile to the wrong fluid.

PS even the newer full synthetic Penrite isn't a substitute in this box.

Comment

• roly
                          • Jul 2010
                          • Barossa Valley

I run Penrite ATF- FS fully synthetic in mine and have for over 200,000. Changed the original fluid at about 200,000 kms. Noticeable improvement in shift quality. I drop the trans sump fluid and refill every 15,000 when I service it. Means I put in 5 or so liters fresh each time it is serviced (about 4 times a year for 60,000 traveled). The dropped fluid looks ruby red and transparent at each change, so the regular "partial change" seems to be keeping it fresh. Car has 408,000 on it now with no dramas.
                          2010 NT ACTIV, White, DiD Auto, ARB Steel Winch Bar, Runva Winch, Hella Raylle 4000 100W Bunny Burners, HID Hi-Beams, 180W LED Light Bar, Home Made Stainless Dual Battery Mount, Home Made Drawers with 10" Sub Enclosure Built In, Rockford Punch Bridged on Sub with Rockford 4x50RMS on cabin., MB Quart Cabin Speakers, Dig Options Head Unit, Airfleece Front Seat Covers, Spare Wheel Lifter, Uniden UHF, TPMS, Bushskinz Inter-cooler and Sump Guard, Homemade Rock-sliders.

Comment

• selaga
                            • Jan 2008
                            • Sydney Western Suburbs

Just had my transmission serviced and oil replaced at Parramatta MM. Old fluid was in good condition (colour wise) and no nasties in the sump (@106.000).

Dealer advised that the filter is not replaceable on the Aisin, they cleaned it with solvent and dried with compressed air.

All up $550.00 inc sump gasket. Slight improvement in smoothness of shift, it was excellent before though, did it as it was in for a passenger air bag recall and for a piece of mind.
                            NT SWB VRX DiD - rare beast in burgundy...

Comment

• PradoEater
                              Valued Member
                              • Aug 2012
                              • Oatley

Originally posted by selaga View Post
                              Just had my transmission serviced and oil replaced at Parramatta MM. Old fluid was in good condition (colour wise) and no nasties in the sump (@106.000).

Dealer advised that the filter is not replaceable on the Aisin, they cleaned it with solvent and dried with compressed air.

All up $550.00 inc sump gasket. Slight improvement in smoothness of shift, it was excellent before though, did it as it was in for a passenger air bag recall and for a piece of mind.
                              filter is replaceable on the aisin boxes MM sells it, I changed it my self once already.

Im also using Penrite for about 30-40 k now no issues, I also done 10-12k towing. Get the oil on special usually repco and super cheap have these sales, you can change it or flush it your self three times for the same price of genuine MM. my 2 cents worth
                              NT 2011 DiD 30th Anniversary Edition, factory RD Lock, Toyo RT 33”, PWR interCooler, PWR radiator, MRT EcuTek tune, OL Steel Loop Bar, VRS 9500, ARB Awning, Kings rear awning, Full bushkinz, HD lovells + Koni RAIDS, front & back nolathane, EGR Block, 52'' LED bar, Scan Gauge 2, Projecta 150A, Optima + Fullriver, ProVent 200, Airtec Snorkel, Beaudesert Exhaust.
                              Towing 2015 New Age Manta Ray 19BC

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X