• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kayllzie
    • Oct 2009
    • chirnside park

Towing fuel consumption

I have just returned from a trip up to Queensland towing a 16ft Jayco poptop van that weighs around 1600kg loaded.
    My NT is a diesel auto and has done 28000km so it should be run in and giving it's best fuel economy, I was very disappointed with the economy I got, I tried everything to improve it things like using 4th using cruise not using cruise going faster going slower. I checked the van to make sure the brakes etc were not sticking but nothing got me under 17km per 100km, if I had any sort of head wind it went over 20ltrs to 100km.
    My last car was a 3ltr Patrol and towing the same van at higher speeds was getting around the 14ltr to 100 mark.
    Has any one else experienced such poor economy I was lucky to get 400km to the tank.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • stevenbowden
    • Jan 2008
    • Bundaberg

I just towed my new van from Caloundra to Bundy. On the way I went over the weigh bridge and was at 1.92T with full water tanks. I got 16.4 l per 100k. I was fairly happy considering it was up and down hills and I was sitting on 100/110.

Steve
    Cool Silver 25th Anniversary Edition Diesel Auto, ARB Bullbar, GME TX3440 UHF, Sandgrabbers, Raw 4x4 Suspension + Firestone Airbags, Airtec Snorkel, TJM IBS Dual Battery System, BushSkinz Intercooler/Sump/Transmission/Transfer Bash Plates & Side Steps, LRA 58lts Aux Tank, 17" ROH RTX with Bridgestone D697LT's + Australian Off Road Campers Quantum! Read about our Adventures HERE!

Comment

• masgrob
      • Aug 2010
      • Western Sydney

My last car was a 3ltr Patrol and towing the same van at higher speeds was getting around the 14ltr to 100 mark.
      Has any one else experienced such poor economy I was lucky to get 400km to the tank.
      Any advice would be greatly appreciated.[/quote]

A Patrol towing at 14 ltrs per 100 klms, What the ?---.
      If I can get out of work, Its worth a try. Play Hard

Comment

• twscoot
        • Oct 2008

Towing my 1850kg Expanda with my NS I can get anything from 15.5 to 17.5 depending on the terrain. My latest tow to Burrum Heads from near Toowoomba saw 17.3. It all depends on the right foot, the head wind and the hills. The worst was close to 20.0 with a 50kmh head wind up the Newell on dead flat highway.
        Cheers
        Andrew
        Previous drive: 2008 25th Anniversary, Auto, DiD, Mits Alloy Bull Bar, GME UHF, Lightforce DL's, Cooper HT Plus Tyres, TyreDog TPMS (Now in a Jeep GC CRD Laredo ORAII, Quadralift)

Comment

• fisherjez
          • Jul 2010
          • Townsville

I just towed my poptop van for a short get away and the car suffered big time with fuel economy. I could virtually watch the gauge go down. I do have a spyder chip installed and noticed that when I overtook and gave it a bit of gas that it blew black smoke. I assume that this because I have not got the settings quite right and its not burning all the fuel being injected (ie too much fuel injected). This may have been what caused the reduction in what is normally excellent economy (Oh, and that I was towing with a 4 cylinder also).
          Cheers

Jeremy

NS VRX manual, diesel, wife and 4 kids (non-standard additions).

Comment

• GOSSAMER
            Valued Member
            • Apr 2008
            • doncaster east vic

try owning a petrol then. towing my camper (suppose to weigh 1200kg ) i get 25litres to the 100ks
            Back from the Dark side
            NT VRX, Ironbark, Dobinson suspension, Kanati muddies 275 65 18, Boo's bash plates (now with dents )

Comment

• robshep
              • Feb 2009
              • Patterson Lakes Vic 3197

Just completed 10,000 kms trip, Melbourne-Cairns-Karumba-Melbourne with my NT diesel automatic, towing a 2200 kg caravan that's a metre taller than the NT, sitting on 90 km per hour mostly.

With us was a 4 year old Prado diesel auto, towing a big poptop of similar weight.

Overall fuel details are;

NT Pajero 6.48 Kms/litre 15.44 L/100kms 18.30 mpg (at 21.0 cents per km)

Prado diesel 5.43 kms/litre 18.40 L/100kms 15.35 mpg (at 26.3 cents per km)

Sort of speaks for itself don't it?

Comment

• Rich
                Valued Member
                • Jul 2007
                • Canberra

Towed my van to Tibooburra and then down from QLD got wide range of economy.

Going to Broken Hill there was a bit of a wind and it went to 20lper100k,

Normally around 16-17 but got under 15 coming down from QLD.

I added a aux tank as in a SWB diesel the tank is not big enough at these economies.

I was disappointed as a mate in an EXCEED was getting at least doing 5 lper100K better, he was not towing but had a tent and bag on the roof.

Richard

Richard

Comment

• steveler
                  • Mar 2008

All these figures seem high but then again look @ the weights and aerodyamics involved , i went to Innaminka with a Roof rack and averaged 15 plus litres per 100 kays . As for Jasons W Petrol Pajero 25 litres per 100 kay the Diesels figures are a bit better .
                  Steve 08 NS VRX Pajero DID Auto . TJM Steel Bullbar Warn Winch 9000 ib Narva 175 Ultimate Driving lights 3 pairs Uniden IC440 , Haymen Reece towbar TJM Airtec Snorkel Tint ARB Old Man Emu 2 Inch lift springs and shocks . Coopers 265 / 60 / 18 ATR VMS 500 GPS . TPMS 40 Litre Engel Fridge Rhino roof bars and rack Dashmat TJM 175 lpm A/C Ironman Duel Battery Kit F&R ARB Diff locks Long Ranger 60 Litre Aux Tank Black Widow rear draws and water tank Chip it Chip& Delete pipe ARB Awning

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X