• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NT11Pajero
    • Jun 2019
    • Brisbane

Tiny amp install + speakers

Just thought I'd share my experience. I didn't want an amp taking up space in the boot so I went with a compact amp that could be installed behind the head unit (the thing is seriously small). It's a Pioneer GM-D1004 https://www.ryda.com.au/pioneer-gmd1004-car-amplifier. As per the pic it fits perfectly behind the stock head unit and I just used a fuse tap to power it (rather than run wiring from the battery). I took the advice of a fellow forum member and paired them with JBL Club Spec 6500c speakers to replace the stock ones. They are an easy fit in the stock speaker holes and I cut out the front of the stock tweeter mounts so I could retain those and easily mount the tweeters. Main choice for these speakers was ease of installation and high sensitivity (92db) so I could get away with a small amp. I tried the speakers first without the amp and although they are an improvement, they couldn't handle any high-ish volume without distorting. With the amp in 2 way mode (there's a switch to bridge the amp) they are a massive improvement over stock. Proper volume and bass. Nothing earth shattering, but not bad for a cheap install. Speakers were $130 and amp was $135.
    Attached Files
    Pajero 2011 NT GLS DID Auto. 3" 304 stainless exhaust, dyno tuned (135awkw), EGR block, EGR cooler removed, provent catch can, custom intercooler
  • paceman
    Valued Member
    • Feb 2018
    • Mackay

Originally posted by NT11Pajero View Post
    Just thought I'd share my experience. I didn't want an amp taking up space in the boot so I went with a compact amp that could be installed behind the head unit (the thing is seriously small). It's a Pioneer GM-D1004 https://www.ryda.com.au/pioneer-gmd1004-car-amplifier. As per the pic it fits perfectly behind the stock head unit and I just used a fuse tap to power it (rather than run wiring from the battery). I took the advice of a fellow forum member and paired them with JBL Club Spec 6500c speakers to replace the stock ones. They are an easy fit in the stock speaker holes and I cut out the front of the stock tweeter mounts so I could retain those and easily mount the tweeters. Main choice for these speakers was ease of installation and high sensitivity (92db) so I could get away with a small amp. I tried the speakers first without the amp and although they are an improvement, they couldn't handle any high-ish volume without distorting. With the amp in 2 way mode (there's a switch to bridge the amp) they are a massive improvement over stock. Proper volume and bass. Nothing earth shattering, but not bad for a cheap install. Speakers were $130 and amp was $135.
    great stuff...

is this with the stock head unit? MMCS?
    Paceman's NT Pajero

Comment

• dc80
      • Jan 2019
      • Perth

Nice one! I think these are the same model JBLs I installed for my front in my NX. How did you hookup your amp to your head unit, was there an RCA output on the head unit or did you use high level output?
      2016 NX GLS MY16 | MMA towbar | Boo's bash plates | ProVent 200 catch can | 2" Lovells MD (F+R) + Bilsteins | Stedi 28" ST4K | Falken Wildpeak AT3W 265/60R18 | Yokohama Geolandar G015 LT265/70R17 | iDRIVE | Redarc Tow Pro Elite | Nautia switch panel

Comment

• NT11Pajero
        • Jun 2019
        • Brisbane

I've got the base model non-screen head unit. It doesn't have RCA outs so needed to use line outs. Lots of soldering.
        Attached Files
        Pajero 2011 NT GLS DID Auto. 3" 304 stainless exhaust, dyno tuned (135awkw), EGR block, EGR cooler removed, provent catch can, custom intercooler

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
        Working...
        X