Below Nav Bar Ad Module

Collapse

Outlander bash plates 2007-2012 do they exist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ent
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2014
    • Tasmania

Outlander bash plates 2007-2012 do they exist?

Hi

A friend is looking for bash plates for his 2009 Outlander. A site in Germany does an impressive set while another EU site does a 5mm aluminum one. So it is possible, but does anyone in Australia do them?

Cheers
    2014 PC Challenger, manual, factory tow-bar, factory front diff protector, TJM inter-cooler plate, Bushskinz manual transmission protection plate, ProRack S16 roof racks, front elocker, Drummond Motor Sport front struts, custom 16mm King rear springs with Bilstein Dampeners, Buzz Rack Runner 3 bike platform, Eclipse Nav head unit, GME TX3800BW UHF, 16x8 CSA Raptor rims, 265/75R16 Maxxis MT-762, orToyo AT/2 265/70R16 Triton rims, BFGoodrich 235/85/R16 Triton rims, or Factory tyres and rims.
  • Ent
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2014
    • Tasmania

Hi

Well my friend's search to make his Outlander an off road 4wd continues. Local firm fitted custom made bash plates. Good looking job. Tyres are 225/70/16 MTs with 30mm suspension lift. Frankly, this combined with his devil may care approach means his Outlander can keep up or go further than my Challenger.

Cheers
    2014 PC Challenger, manual, factory tow-bar, factory front diff protector, TJM inter-cooler plate, Bushskinz manual transmission protection plate, ProRack S16 roof racks, front elocker, Drummond Motor Sport front struts, custom 16mm King rear springs with Bilstein Dampeners, Buzz Rack Runner 3 bike platform, Eclipse Nav head unit, GME TX3800BW UHF, 16x8 CSA Raptor rims, 265/75R16 Maxxis MT-762, orToyo AT/2 265/70R16 Triton rims, BFGoodrich 235/85/R16 Triton rims, or Factory tyres and rims.

Comment

• abw
      • Aug 2013
      • Sydney

Yeah, maybe suggest to him he should just cut his losses and get a proper fourby. A couple of years back I had a Kluger..same thing, I was starting to go to places in it, I probably shouldn't have taken it. So I had dreams of putting in taller springs, custom bash plates etc. I went on one of those tag-along tours, nearly did some real damage. And I had a look under some 4WDs on the trip, compared it to my Kluger...it was like chalk and cheese! Heavyweight components, compared to my weedy little transfer case and diffs, cvs, suspension components. And not having low range meant I'd have to use momentum in my softroader to get through obstacles. The following week I started looking for a half decent fourby. Cheaper in the long run.
      was Pajero NS 2008

now GU Patrol

Comment

• Ent
        Valued Member
        • Apr 2014
        • Tasmania

Tag along tours for newbies is likely always a dangerous proposition. One club I know of has a leader with short wheelbase Patrol with tyre, suspension, and body lift and armoured to the teeth with custom low range gearbox. His mate has a Patrol with portal hubs. Needless to say unless your new 4wd is a Landrover Defender following those two will likely end in tears.

My friend has a young person's outlook on life. To him a vehicle is a consumerable, not an asset. He clocks up over thirty thousand kilometres so after five years his vehicles have stuff all resale value. He prefers car like manners from his vehicle, and a 2.8 Hilux flat tray raised to the sky is his definition of hell.

Frankly, I am amazed what abuse an Outlander can endure but the old adage of light weight and flat under floor means it can slide across obstacles. He in response to my comments on taking it easy took the outline of my Challenger, a Pajero and his Outlander and played with them on his computer. He was forced up to 225/70/16 (or was it 235) from 205/70/16 to get light truck tyres that overcame the puncture issue. Then he put on a 30mm lift. The outline drawings and underbody measurements confirmed better clearance than my Challenger and matching or exceeding a Pajero. These three vehicles are remarkably close in dimensions. So only the approach and departure angles that he gives ground to his more substantial brothers.

The variable speed transmission means by closing your eyes and forgetting about the torque converter overheating you have no stalling issues. Again lighter weight helps.

So, would I buy his vehicle second hand, never!!!! It has been largely destroyed underneath. But he works on the principle that he has a car like vehicle five days a week with the ability to go places that I fear with my Challenger on the other two. If something breaks then it is cheaper to fix than fund the depreciation of a proper 4wd.

His approach is foreign to me but it works for him. His 2009 model has made it 200,000 km and largely worthless as a trade in so running costs replacing bits and putting fuel in is cheap compared to a second vehicle or a more substantial 4wd depreciation.

I prefer driving his vehicle to the Challenger or a Pajero on the road, but feel horror as it is flung across rugged tracks. But to date, despite my predictions of impending destruction, it has survived with only a punctured fuel tank and very battered sumps.

Cheers

Comment

• abw
          • Aug 2013
          • Sydney

No worries. Just remembering a trip I did a couple of weeks ago. One of the blokes on the trip has an x-trail. It's battered and bruised, and he just keeps patching it up..just keeps going. When he gets to a steep patch, he just takes a run up and gives it a foot full He doesn't shy away from the tricky stuff, that's for sure. I'm convinced he's going to kill it one day

Andrew
          was Pajero NS 2008

now GU Patrol

Comment

• Scouter1
            Valued Member
            • Mar 2013
            • Sydney NSW

We took a mixed bag of 4WDs & softroaders up to Fraser Island at the beginning of the year - 100 Cruiser, Lexus 470, Amarok, Pajero then in the blue corner we had a Kluger, X-Trail & early model RAV4. It was surprising how far the softroaders got once they had dropped tyre pressures, we only had to skull drag them on the first day off the ferry where the track was chopped to bits. Biggest issue was the standard plastic underbody protection not looking too flash on the RAV after Indian Head bypass.

Courage, momentum & a good line will get you a long way...

Cheers,
            Stephen
            2011 Silver NT GLS DiD Auto with extra bits - build thread http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=36099

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X