• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blue
    • Mar 2011
    • Brisbane

roof top tents

Has anyone owner or currently own a roof top tent?. I am considering buying one but am keen to know the pro's and cons of these things.

Thanks, Blue
  • onallfour
    Valued Member
    • Nov 2010
    • Camden, Sydney

i have one on the roof of my trailer. It is great as the bed is made and doesnt take long to set up. Bedding can be ready for you but i dont keep pillows in it while it is folded and packed away for the next days drive. I have run 12v led lighting in it also. There are different sizes available but if you want more than 2 persons you will find it a bit of a squeeze. The awning is good also so you can get changed or have it as a bit of undercover kitchen area. I am happy with mine but have grown out of it as i have 2 offspring now to put to sleep somewhere since the purchase of the tent a few years back. Mine is similar to the one shown on the advertisement.
    Cool Silver 09 VRX, tinted glass all around, 2 inch HD lovells, bilsteins, poly airbags, Airtek snorkel, dual battery, ARB deluxe winch bar, Lightforce 240's, Warn winch, Bushskinz full bash plates, UHF, scangauge, Bogaard turbo timer, towbar, 65 ltr brown davis fuel tank, on board ARB compressor + outlets, 50A anderson on towbar, rear diff lock-traction control modification, diff breathers, in-dash battery voltmeters, EGR blank, hacked navman, Cooper AT3's, Stebel horns.

Comment

• cruisn06
      Valued Member
      • Jan 2011
      • Perth WA

I have one. love it. bought it from pinnicle campers on ebay with an awning. its been great. use it lots, actually will be doing a week of camping with it in about 4 days.

comfy and cool when its hot our since you get the breeze.

cons- clearance maybe, I come in at almost 2.4m with it installed. on side slopes I sometimes am worried about hitting it on trees.

the wind, it can rock the truck, but I am thinking of fabricating a set of legs up that jsut lift the rear of the wagon up about .5 inch jsut to stablize it.

pros -
      100 fold increased poser status
      brings all the b*tches in
      can play cards with 4 people comfortably when its raining out.
      no rocks branches or other crap poking you whilst you sleep

A few photos to go with discussion:

Roof top tent setup:

There is a lot of room inside. very comfy to sleep in.

07 Mitsubishi Pajero Shorty - Currently rolling around... Parked in Armenia for the moment

Insta: https://www.instagram.com/wrongturnadventure/

Comment

• peterdeg
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2007
        • NW Sydney

+1 put it on a trailer.
        Nothing worse than having to fold it up so you can go and buy more beer.
        Peter
        2018 QE Pajero Sport Exceed.

4WD History: 2011 MN Triton GLX-R. 2004 NP GLS DiD. 2002 Freelander Td4. 1996 Subaru DL. Learnt in a 1980 Ford F100.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
        Working...
        X