• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brownegaz
    • Mar 2017
    • Perth

Front Tow Bar ?

I have a 3 tonne caravan that I need to park in a tight spot in my drive way which is very difficult to reverse into.

My driveway also has a slight uphill incline which makes it even more of a challenge

Im interested to know if anyone has fitted a tow bar to the front of their Gen 4 Pajero which would give me more control of the process of stowing the caravan.
  • Dicko1
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2014
    • Cairns, FNQ

What about one of the electric/motorised van movers?
    Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Caggs
      • Jun 2017
      • Melbourne

Definitely interested in this, i have looked at the motorised jockey wheels and they seem to be OK pn flat ground but wont do any soft ground or much of an incline.

Comment

• brownegaz
        • Mar 2017
        • Perth

Ive looked at a couple of motorised jockey wheels some are cheap and nasty flea bay jobs for $250 which I wouldn't trust while moving $50000 worth of caravan weighing 3 tonne around on a sloping driveway

Im checking out the AW3 Model Jockey wheel here https://www.aussiewheel.com.au/#tabbs,
        but at $2400 its not a cheap option.

But Im also going to look into fitting a bar on the front of the Pajero I will only have the hitch fitted to it when I need to move the caravan so there will be nothing protruding from the front of the car when its not being used

Comment

• Pajshomoneroguntero
          Valued Member
          • Jul 2013
          • Sydney

What about a fixed winch at the back of the car port with a wireless controller? Seems like you just need something to move it and a little muscle to steer or get the cheapie motorised jockey for steering duty.
          NX GLS MY16 Auto: MM Towbar | Spare Lift Kit | Cooper ST MAXX 265/65R17 | SPVi Module mk3.1 | Autosafe Half Cargo Barrier | Torque Pro App | Donaldson 3um 2ndry Fuel Filter | Diff Breathers | GME4500 UHF | Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform | Roley's Rear Bash Plate | Bushskinz Underbody Protection | Airtec Snorkel | Onboard Compressor | Awning | ARB Deluxe Bar | Lightbar | Sherpa4x4 Winch | Bushskinz Sidesteps | Masten TPMS

Build Thread

Comment

• Pushbike
            • Jun 2017
            • Sydney

Hi, I fabricated a push bar for my old Holden HG wagon and I think fixed it to the front bar mounts. It had a removeable tongue and ball. It made putting my van uphill into the garage very easy.
            Things to consider- the push bar transfers all the weight to the rear driving wheels, it allows you to steer the van (cf winch), push vehicle brakes and push vehicle mass hold the load , you can hook up and drive out directly for your next trip.
            But you may not have sight of where you are going (So set up sight markers on the route), can't use it on a public road, may not have insurance cover.
            If the van uncouples the draw bar may go straight through the cooling units, aaargh!
            Keep wheel chocks handy. If your lucky family members may assist.
            Pajero NX GLX MY17, OEM Rubber mats, OEM Towbar and tongue, After market Rev. Sensors, MSA4x4 seat covers, OEM nudge bar.

Remember the science demonstration of a table covered with mouse traps loaded with ping pong balls and the teacher drops a ping pong ball into the middle.
            Well, the ball has been dropped.

Comment

• old Jack
              Regular
              • Jun 2011
              • Adelaide, South Australia.

If you attach the push/tow tongue to the left hand chassis rail or subframe then this would offset the vehicle by about 500mm so would align the drivers side of the vehicle roughly 200mm outside the side of the van. This will then allow you to see down the side of the van similar to towing mirrors.

OJ.
              2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
              MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Seigried
                Valued Member
                • Apr 2016
                • brisbane

Uk version on gen 3
                FRONT TOWBAR for Mitsubishi Shogun/Pajero 4x4 Estate (without nudge bar). 2000 onwards including 2007 facelift. (Includes a detachable section to provide neat appearance). No bumper cut, requires a cut in the sump shield. Load rating 3400kg, nose load 135kg. Towball not included, please add one if required.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Comment

• robeggy
                  • Apr 2008
                  • Nelson Bay

Any thing you fit would have to be Air Bag complient

Comment

• old Jack
                    Regular
                    • Jun 2011
                    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by Seigried View Post
                    Uk version on gen 3
                    FRONT TOWBAR for Mitsubishi Shogun/Pajero 4x4 Estate (without nudge bar). 2000 onwards including 2007 facelift. (Includes a detachable section to provide neat appearance). No bumper cut, requires a cut in the sump shield. Load rating 3400kg, nose load 135kg. Towball not included, please add one if required.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
                    They seem to get a good rap.

Issue being they are unlikely to fit with a bull bar or nudge bar and at GBP300 ($550 AUD) + freight from the UK they are probably still cheaper than getting a custom unit made in Australia.

I see no issues with them effecting airbag deployment as they are really not much different than a bullbar.

OJ.
                    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X