• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Purdy
    • Oct 2015
    • Mullumbimby

Some questions RE Pajero Sport purchase

Hi guys,

Just sold my 2009 NT Pajero and have decided on the Pajero Sport Exceed as my replacement (2016-2017 model). These seem to have around 40-50K on the clock and are around the $36-38K mark.
    I originally thought that I would be going for an Everest but after driving both numerous times, the Pajero wins for ride comfort and specs.
    Couple of questions before I jump in .
    1. Does the diesel 2.8 have a timing belt or chain?
    2. Is there anything I have to look out for when purchasing this vehicle?
    3. Does the 5 year warranty transfer to me when I purchase?
    4. Can I put larger AT tyres (KO2's for example) on the pajero sport? I did on the Pajero NT with no side effects.
    5. Anything else I should know before I hand over my hard earnt cash.
    6. Does it come with rear diff lock as standard?

Im assuming that this engine drivetrain combo has been around for a while in the Triton so any issues should be well known by now. Hoping to get over 250K on the clock with regular servicing.
    I appreciate it guys. Just need to get this right.

Craig
    2016 Pajero Sport Exceed. Snorkel & under-body protection plates
  • Greg Grey Grumbly
    • Aug 2012
    • Brisbane, Southside

I changed from an NT to Paj Sport and very happy. It tows well and in most respects is better. I initially missed the Pajero independent rear suspension with the PSseeming a little wallow prone but have got used to it, it is way better over dirt roads. It certainly tows easier than the Paj which I always towed in 4th for about 2500 for 95 kmh. The PS does 7th gear at 100kmh very easily.

Overall I’m loving the PS.
    Greg Grey Grumbly

2018 QE Pajero Sport GLS, Factory Accessories: Alloy Bull Bar, Tow Bar, Underbody Protection, Aftermarket: Uniden CB, Redarc Electric Brake Controller, Bushman Cooler, Rhino Roof Bars; Full Tint, OCAM Extendable Tow Mirrors, Fridge Tie Down Racks, Kickass Battery Box with Projecta DC DC charger, King KCRS-23 with the Peddars 5899 bump stops, Almac Boat Loader, Almac Outboard Slide, Provent catch can, More to come
    Tows a 2015 Billabong Grove 186

Comment

• aussieintas
      Valued Member
      • Feb 2013
      • Sorell, Tasmania

Hey Purdy hopefully I can answer some questions.

1. It's a 2.4lt engine (4N15) and has timing chain. Read this link for specs. https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...ad.php?t=42760

3. Warranty is transferable. Link to Mitsubishi warranty details.

4. Plethora of info here in this link.
      pajero sport larger tyres site:www2.pajeroclub.com.au

6. GLX models don't have rear diff, GLS and Exceed rear diff lock as standard.
      2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
      88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
      92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
      92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
      99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
      95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
      08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• DID Dash
        • Aug 2016
        • Australia

Hope some of the below helps:
        1/ it is a 2.4 litre motor with timing chain
        2/ as far as I am aware, no reports of any problems endemic to this model.
        3/ warranty is transferrable, capped price servicing is not
        4/ yes, I run 265/70R17 A/Ts when offroad. No rubbing and no problems with torque converter, ( I am towing 1500kg)
        5/ do you need an Exceed? Carsales has dozens of low milage (sub 10,000km) GLX models for the money you are looking to spend. For a few thousand more, brand new, drive away.
        6/ only GLS and Exceed. Do you need it?
        I have a 17MY GLX, never needed the difflock as TC is so good. If you can live without the Exceed, you could find a great deal at your price point barely run in. Don’t forget that some of the fancy safety tech on the Exceed can make it harder to fit bullbars, driving lamps etc if thats on the horizon. Good luck with your choice. I am at 1 year / 15000km and love mine.
        17MY Pajero Sport, Factory Towbar, King Springs KCRS-23/Pedders 5899 Cones, 265/70R17 A/T's for the rough trips.

Comment

• Purdy
          • Oct 2015
          • Mullumbimby

Thanks guys. Really appreciate the feedback.
          The ride of the sport is certainly much more compliant than the NT I had.
          Must be the seperate ladder frame of the sport compared to the Pajero.

Comment

• nj swb
            Resident
            • Jun 2007
            • Adelaide

Originally posted by Purdy View Post
            Thanks guys. Really appreciate the feedback.
            The ride of the sport is certainly much more compliant than the NT I had.
            Must be the seperate ladder frame of the sport compared to the Pajero.
            Possibly. Or it could be the difference between brand new factory suspension vs Lovells & Scorched 4s of indeterminate age and condition.
            NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Purdy
              • Oct 2015
              • Mullumbimby

I found that the ride quality improved with the Standard (not HD) 2 inch lift on the NT compared to the stock suspension.
              It was the ride quality of the NT that had my partner annoyed on long trips, but I’m happy because I get an upgrade now.

Comment

• Purdy
                • Oct 2015
                • Mullumbimby

Hi Guys,

Thanks to all your helpful advice I have purchased a 2016 Exceed with only 45K on the clock.
                Loving the car so far. Points I have noticed so far are:

1. Why oh why couldn't they have installed Active Cruise Control when all the hardware is on board already. I know it comes standard on the later models. Would be awesome if you could get this fitted to the earlier models.
                2. Vibration from steering wheel feedback. Most reviews I read also stated this so wasn't a surprise. I have noticed it decreases a lot when in 4H which I use constantly anyway.
                3. Auto door locks pain in the backside
                4. Seats are great
                5. Fuel consumption fantastic (averaged 7.7 l/100 coming back from Sydney)
                6. Very quite cabin and ride comfort compared to my NT.
                7. Blind spot warning a great feature.
                8. Apple Car play great

Looking forward to see how it performs off the beaten track.

Comment

• jared01
                  • Dec 2016
                  • Sydney

Regarding the steering wheel vibrations, do you have a snorkel installed and if so, which make?

I'm going through some steering wheel vibration issues but think due to my snorkel install
                  2019 Pajero Sport GLS | Factory Alloy Bullbar | BFGoodrich T/A KO2 265/60/18 Tyres | Hayman Reese Towbar | Rhino Roof Racks | Uniden 8060S and AT970BK Twin Aerial | Safari Snorkel

Comment

• DID Dash
                    • Aug 2016
                    • Australia

Auto door locks are programmable by the dealer with their MUT. Not sure how much adjustment, but mine were changed from default setting so they now auto lock / auto unlock all door when shifter moved to park. Maybe see what your dealer can do.
                    17MY Pajero Sport, Factory Towbar, King Springs KCRS-23/Pedders 5899 Cones, 265/70R17 A/T's for the rough trips.

Comment

• Purdy
                      • Oct 2015
                      • Mullumbimby

Originally posted by jared01 View Post
                      Regarding the steering wheel vibrations, do you have a snorkel installed and if so, which make?

I'm going through some steering wheel vibration issues but think due to my snorkel install
                      Hi mate, I do have a Mitsubishi standard snorkel fitted. But my steering feedback is certainly coming from the road. Bumps and lumps in the road get transferred to the wheel too easily. Nearly every pajero sport article/review/comparison mentioned that they didn't like the steering feedback through the steering wheel. And it is true you certainly feel more through the steering wheel than any other car I've owned, but is no issue really. I find its actually better when in 4H mode which is good because thats what I drive i all the time anyway.
                      Maybe someday an aftermarket steering dampener may come on the market.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X