Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Mechanical

Mechanical Discussion of mechanical matters

Old 5 Days Ago

Default EGT Sensor in EGR Delete Plate

My NM Paj has the EGR system blanked off and I'm going to fit an EGT gauge soon.
Was wondering if the blanking plate (see photo) would serve as a reasonably effective mounting point to obtain pre-turbo EGT readings.

I've read that pre-turbo is generally considered more a more accurate gauge for EGT but I want to avoid the hassle of pulling everything apart and welding onto the casting. I know I'll probably only be reading from one cylinder with the EGT gauge mounted this way, but is that a big deal - how much variation can there be?

The alternative is post turbo in the dump pipe, which will be easy too as I'm looking at an exhaust upgrade. Mainly wondering which option will serve me best while keeping things simple...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190815_165355.jpg (117.8 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by JHwick; 5 Days Ago at 09:16 PM.
Old 5 Days Ago

Personally I think it should be fine. I put mine right in the middle of manifold where it goes into turbo housing on my NM.
Old 5 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingmarz View Post
I put mine right in the middle of manifold where it goes into turbo housing on my NM.
Did you weld a bung in for the probe or do something else Kingmarz?
Old 5 Days Ago

I just drilled a hole and then taped a thread. The manifold casting seems thick enough but had to make the hole in the heat shield about twice the size to fit the sensor nut.
Old 3 Days Ago

You will get a reading from one cylinder, which is fine most of the time although if you have a problem with one cylinder it will not show up unless it is that cylinder.

I have put a few EGT gauges in, and all of them I have drilled and tapped the manifold pre turbo. Usually I will drill slowly while holding a vacuum cleaner next to the drill bit. Cat iron shavings are pretty much powder and vacuum up easily.

Then I use a good quality 1/8 NPT tap coated in grease and remove it every 2 or 3 turns and clean the grease and shavings off and put more grease in the tap flutes.
Cut a hole in the heat shield to fit the sensor.