• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ron.dunn
    • Jul 2019
    • Central Victoria

Do catch cans work? Maybe not ...

For those with Facebook accounts, a company named Tune Works has posted an interesting video that shows a caked manifold on a car which had a catch can fitted from new.

The company does have an interest in selling chip-mod EGR deletes.

I put a Western Filters Provent kit on my Pajero Sport. I figure it won't hurt, but maybe it won't give the benefit I'd expected.
    Pajero Sport GLS
  • nj swb
    Resident
    • Jun 2007
    • Adelaide

Originally posted by ron.dunn View Post
    For those with Facebook accounts, a company named Tune Works has posted an interesting video that shows a caked manifold on a car which had a catch can fitted from new.

I put a Western Filters Provent kit on my Pajero Sport. I figure it won't hurt, but maybe it won't give the benefit I'd expected.
    For the record, it's a public video - no Facebook account required.

Interesting video. Definite build-up there. It would be nice to know how that amount of build-up compares with a vehicle without a catch-can - did the catch-can make any difference at all? And, do we know if the ProVent was properly maintained? Did it use the correct filters?
    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Purdy
      • Oct 2015
      • Mullumbimby

Interesting that you are bring this up. Currently discussing if the resistor mod EGR deletes actually work for the Pajero Sport as well. OJ found that the EGR valve is actually controlled by 3 separate input states, not just air temperature, so unsure if the resistor modification works by itself either. I have asked for anyone with a scan gauge and a resistor modification to check if the EGR valve always remains closed, but so far no response. So I am not going to purchase anything as yet until I know that a modification actually works as intended. Let me know if you get any more information on the catch can issue. Cheers
      See Thread: https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...ad.php?t=64844
      2016 Pajero Sport Exceed. Snorkel & under-body protection plates

Comment

• dreamerman
        Valued Member
        • Sep 2009
        • Sydney

Originally posted by Purdy View Post
        I have asked for anyone with a scan gauge and a resistor modification to check if the EGR valve always remains closed, but so far no response.
        I have chiptuning's EGR delete module for the NX with DPF since new. I know you are asking for resister mods but with help from TorquePro my EGR always stayed at 0%.
        03/19 MY18 Pajero NX GLX Graphite | KUMHO AT51 265/65R17 | Ultragauge MX v1.4 | AEM GPS Speedometer | Yakima Platform on OCAM Backbone | OEM Tow Bar | KAON Internal Rear Roof Shelf | ARB Smartbar

Comment

• Ian H
          Valued Member
          • May 2015
          • Melbourne

Most have probably seen this but he's got his opinions.

Fitting an oil catch can to your car. Where does this sit, exactly, on the landscape of good and bad ideas?CRANKCASE VENTILATIONIn practise they vent the cra...
          Last edited by Ian H; 09-08-19, 05:58 PM.
          2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• Purdy
            • Oct 2015
            • Mullumbimby

Originally posted by dreamerman View Post
            I have chiptuning's EGR delete module for the NX with DPF since new. I know you are asking for resister mods but with help from TorquePro my EGR always stayed at 0%.
            Hi, yes the Pajeros are a bit simpler, they only use the air temperature to control the EGR valve. I had a SPV cable EGR delete on my NT. OJ found that the Pajero Sport engine is more complex on how it operates, there are 3 inputs to take into consideration.
            When I say resistor modification, I mean any type of resistor modification (home made, Munji Cable, SPV cable), they all do the same thing, have a resistor in place to change the input of the air temperature. Tricks engine control unit into thinking that air always cold, therefore no EGR valve opened.

Comment

• ron.dunn
              • Jul 2019
              • Central Victoria

OJ found that the Pajero Sport engine is more complex on how it operates, there are 3 inputs to take into consideration.
              Without evidence - so opinion only - I believe you're overthinking the 3 inputs. My interpretation is that they are AND-ed, so the resistor-style deletes still work.

As far as proof goes, I think I've spent enough on "maybe" solutions so far, with a Munji cable and a catch can. Adding diagnostic equipment to the mix would probably get me divorced

That said, if anyone is in the Central Victoria region with an OBDI interface and the knowledge to read it, I'm happy to connect it to my car for some on road testing.
              Pajero Sport GLS

Comment

• JWF
                • Mar 2019
                • Gosford

I also have a Chiptune EGR module installed and read 100% closed at all times on my UltraGauge.
                I have a tried another brand but it still showed up to 26% opening.
                Chiptune measures 12.7k ohms
                Other brand 10k ohms
                Vehicle is 2019 NX with DPF.
                I also noted that the Chiptune module has a small adjustment screw but as it works fine I will not be
                adjusting it.

John

Comment

• Purdy
                  • Oct 2015
                  • Mullumbimby

Without evidence - so opinion only - I believe you're overthinking the 3 inputs. My interpretation is that they are AND-ed, so the resistor-style deletes still work.

As far as proof goes, I think I've spent enough on "maybe" solutions so far, with a Munji cable and a catch can. Adding diagnostic equipment to the mix would probably get me divorced

That said, if anyone is in the Central Victoria region with an OBDI interface and the knowledge to read it, I'm happy to connect it to my car for some on road testing.

OJ found the evidence in the manual on how the EGR works alright as below:

A bit more research has revealed the EGR control system in the 4N1 CRD Pajero Sport engine is more complicated than the 4M41 3.2l CRD Pajero or the 4D56 CRD 2.5l Challenger/Triton engines.

The 4N Engine ECU looks at 3 different variable conditions when controlling the when and the amount the EGR valve opens.
                  Engine Coolant must be over 80C.
                  Air Inlet temperature must be 10C or greater.
                  Engine RPM over 2500 rpm.

I am with you on that it SHOULD be an ANDED code line. I just wanted to make sure before I tried a 'maybe' solution as well. I would certainly prefer to spend $50 on a cable than $200+ on a catch can setup.

Comment

• ron.dunn
                    • Jul 2019
                    • Central Victoria

That doesn't make sense to me. My Pajero Sport rarely exceeds 2000rpm, let alone 2500.
                    Pajero Sport GLS

Comment

• Purdy
                      • Oct 2015
                      • Mullumbimby

That doesn't make sense to me. My Pajero Sport rarely exceeds 2000rpm, let alone 2500.
                      I agree. Seems high. Less right foot down = less gunk up. We have a fix

Comment

• Eevee
                        • Apr 2016
                        • Melbourne

Engine Coolant must be over 80C.
                        Air Inlet temperature must be 10C or greater.

These three parameters do not affect the EGR valve opening. They affect whether the EGR cooler is bypassed or not.

Comment

• woffleon
                          • Jul 2016
                          • NSW

Is this about catch cans or EGR I'm confused?
                          I empty bout 100mls of oil out of mine every 20k so that is oil NOT going into the turbo inlet. Catch can is just a passive system of venting crankcase fumes back into combustion. Not managed directly with ecu and sensors like the EGR system.

I'm sure there will be others to dissect and dispute above but in the end catch can will remove oil from inlet intake.
                          Sterling Silver Pajero Sport Exceed -- HR towbar - Towpro Elite - Duel battery - King spring KCRS23

Comment

• old Jack
                            Regular
                            • Jun 2011
                            • Adelaide, South Australia.

The original question posed was, "do catch cans work?"

The answer is "yes" but they do not remove 100% of the oil and oil vapours from the induction air. Therefore rather than solving the problem of a gunked up intake they are slowing down the process because the EGR is still operating. How much the process is slowed by will depend on the effeciency of the catch can and the maintenance of the catch can system.

In regards to the electronic EGR OFF mod by altering the signal from the #2 Air Temperature to the Engine ECU so the ECU thinks the air temperature is below 10C.
                            Eevee is correct
                            Further reading has confirmed that the 3 other input conditions of, engine coolant over 80C, engine rpm over 2500rpm and #2 Air inlet temperature must be over 10C are required for the EGR cooler bypass system to work.

Earlier model Pajero, Challengers and Tritons did not have an EGR cooler bypass so this is a new system to what we are all use to. It is only engines that are configured to Euro 5 emission standards and have a DPF that have a EGR cooler bypass. The only reason I can see for have an EGR cooler bypass is in low ambient temperature and low rpm situations where you do not want to cool the exhaust gases that are already at a lower temperature.
                            What is still unclear is if you need only 1, 2 or all 3 of the inputs conditions for the EGR cooler Bypass system to function.
                            What is also unclear is is the EGR Bypass ON or OFF or is it a variable bleed?

Only further testing will answer these questions.

This could also be the situation with the later NX Pajero that have the Euro 5/DPF engine.

Reports from the Pajero Sport Facebbook page are that people have noticed a reduction in turbo boost pressure when an electronic EGR OFF is fitted. Once again only further testing on these Euro 5 engines will answer these questions.

OJ.
                            Last edited by old Jack; 10-08-19, 11:29 AM.
                            2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                            MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X