• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • woffleon
    • Jul 2016
    • NSW

Klunk on acceleration in 4x4

My son has same PS to mine (but its 2019) but has a bump sound from stopped in the front somewhere. Tried it in 4x4 same and in 4x4 cdl same but not in 2wd.
    Pull up at lights then go to take off and you hear and slightly feel "bump" "knock" sound but it varies. 12k on the clock still smells new. I'm pretty sure its from the front but could be my mind thinking the front diff and drive shaft. It doesn't not happen in mine at all. Like a resistant brake pad unlocking on the disc sound if you know what I mean.

Anyone else hearing this?
    Would the dealer and mechanic brush us off with that's normal for PS?
    Sterling Silver Pajero Sport Exceed -- HR towbar - Towpro Elite - Duel battery - King spring KCRS23
  • ron.dunn
    • Jul 2019
    • Central Victoria

Does it happen when he lifts his foot off the brake, or during acceleration?

I find that there's often a little bump/jump if I lift my foot off the brake quickly, and I'm training myself to be more gentle which appears to eliminate that problem.

During acceleration from rest, I've had a couple of instances where I took off from a stop sign into a slightly uphill t-intersection, and felt something that didn't correspond to a gear change. Still trying to figure out why it happens some times and not others at the same intersection.

I have seen a number of discussions on bumps / jumps / knocks in the Facebook groups, but a major problem is that two people use the same word for wildly different experiences, and there appears to be no reliable pattern. What I have seen is a couple of reports that say something like "reported it to dealer, fixed during service," which implies that there might be a simple problem/fix.
    Pajero Sport GLS

Comment

• Purdy
      • Oct 2015
      • Mullumbimby

Originally posted by ron.dunn View Post
      Does it happen when he lifts his foot off the brake, or during acceleration?

I find that there's often a little bump/jump if I lift my foot off the brake quickly, and I'm training myself to be more gentle which appears to eliminate that problem.

During acceleration from rest, I've had a couple of instances where I took off from a stop sign into a slightly uphill t-intersection, and felt something that didn't correspond to a gear change. Still trying to figure out why it happens some times and not others at the same intersection.

I have seen a number of discussions on bumps / jumps / knocks in the Facebook groups, but a major problem is that two people use the same word for wildly different experiences, and there appears to be no reliable pattern. What I have seen is a couple of reports that say something like "reported it to dealer, fixed during service," which implies that there might be a simple problem/fix.

The Pajero Sport has hill control which holds the brake when on an incline. This makes it feel a bit different when accelerating away as the brakes release first when accelerator is depressed. Certainly different feeling to my other cars that dont have this feature.
      2016 Pajero Sport Exceed. Snorkel & under-body protection plates

Comment

• woffleon
        • Jul 2016
        • NSW

Definitely only as you first press accelerator. But here's the thing and a clue....... ONLY in 4x4 and not in mine?????
        Not related to hill start or but could it be related to auto hill hold braking either turned off and only in 4x4 or some setting?

I'm tempted to see if a uni needs a tighten or diff support bracket holding bolt.....but its warranty and we don't want to be fobbed off
        Last edited by woffleon; 30-07-19, 02:16 PM.
        Sterling Silver Pajero Sport Exceed -- HR towbar - Towpro Elite - Duel battery - King spring KCRS23

Comment

• ron.dunn
          • Jul 2019
          • Central Victoria

Originally posted by woffleon View Post
          ONLY in 4x4
          You might have a clue there. I never drive in 2H.
          Pajero Sport GLS

Comment

• woffleon
            • Jul 2016
            • NSW

While we wait for a booking into the dealer for 1st service I can't help but think and investigate possibilities. So a little squiz at a front diff shows a shock mount at the pinon end of the diff.

I'm suspecting one of these bolts are not as tight as they should be and or the rubber inner bush is moving the holding bolt in the hole making the noise. Pic is upside down and not on the car in question.

Do we just tighten it or test the customer service experience.????
            Attached Files

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X