• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GHendo
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2012
    • Northern NSW

Originally posted by Naviguesser View Post
    Got an 8 inch Samsung Tab S2 running Ozi Explorer.
    Very happy with it.
    I used to have a Nexus 7 I bought about 3 years ago which recently turned up its toes then I bought a subscription to the local paper and they threw in a Samsung Tab 3 Lite. It’s the same size as the Nexus but heaps faster. Haven’t tried maps on it yet but I reckon it will be fine.

Cheers

Geoff
    03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

• Matty_P
      • May 2014
      • Bayside Brisbane QLD

I'm running Hema on my IPAD with a Badelf GPS that plugs into the IPAD.
      Works a treat

Comment

• Aspey
        • Dec 2015
        • Great Southern Land

Originally posted by Matty_P View Post
        I'm running Hema on my IPAD with a Badelf GPS that plugs into the IPAD.
        Works a treat
        Just saw this is an old post so it may be better posing the question to anyone who's used an IPad without GPS as navigation.
        Just curious about this setup as we have an old 64GB IPad2 (wi-fi only).
        Are Badelfs still a good option or should we upgrade to a cheap Android tablet with GPS for navigation?
        It looks like you dont need an internet connection but do you have to pay a yearly fee or have a usage plan to use the BadElf? Can you use it for city and bush navigating?
        Cheers
        Last edited by Aspey; 03-04-18, 05:25 PM. Reason: See above
        NP VRX DID

Comment

• Ian H
          Valued Member
          • May 2015
          • Melbourne

I tried a cheap eBay pad with android and it sucked. Sometimes it took 15 minutes to boot up, other times ok. I ended up with a Samsung Tab A which is at the low end of their range but so much better to see the screen and it has no issues. Also loaded up Wiki camps, Torque and some music so the one tablet does it all.
          2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• Stubbyhold3r
            • Feb 2018
            • NSW Far Sth Coast

Originally posted by Ian H View Post
            I ended up with a Samsung Tab A which is at the low end of their range but so much better to see the screen and it has no issues.
            Hi Ian H.....currently looking at the same (2017 edition), but there seems to be some confusion re: GPS eg: read one lot of discussion where they were confusing GPS with 'Location'

Have you tried yours out in the bush where you're positive there's no wifi/4g (whatever it is that gets used in the burbs), and is purely running off GPS?

Had a Nexus 7 that worked fine....till son spilt liquid on it
            Virgin '05 NP Silver Platinum Edition - 3.8

Comment

• sharkcaver
              "2000"+ Valued Contributor
              • May 2009
              • Perth

Just a question.....does anyone know of a 7" tab, 16gb with both GPS and magnometer, that's not $500 or more? It seems everything I've looked of at late doesn't have a magnometer any more unless you are prepared to spend a motza. I only plan to use it for GPS Nav duties.....If I can fine one.....
              MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• wazza5
                • Jan 2015
                • WA

I use a 7" Samsung Tab A. I run IGO Primo, Oziexplorer and Wiki Camps can load all three and switch between them with no problems. Used this on a recent trip with Sharkcaver.
                Because it is a Wi-Fi only unit, the “location” is GPS related.

Sharkcaver will a magnometer "app" that can be loaded meet your requirements?

Comment

• sharkcaver
                  "2000"+ Valued Contributor
                  • May 2009
                  • Perth

Originally posted by wazza5 View Post
                  I use a 7" Samsung Tab A. I run IGO Primo, Oziexplorer and Wiki Camps can load all three and switch between them with no problems. Used this on a recent trip with Sharkcaver.
                  Because it is a Wi-Fi only unit, the “location” is GPS related.

Sharkcaver will a magnometer "app" that can be loaded meet your requirements?
                  Sorry Wazza, a magnometer is a sensor inbuilt into the chip of the tablet. An electronic compass if you like. Its not an app, its hardware. I was looking last week and it seems the cheapest tab I can find now days with a magnometer is around the $500 mark, hence the question I asked.

You can navigate without a magnometer, but you have to be moving as bearing is GPS based. A magnometer will still show bearing to target even when stopped. So for in vehicle nav, its not a biggie for the majority. The issue is when you are on foot.

I am off to leonora on Monday and it would have been nice to have a 7"tab with magnometer. Calibrating a tenement map for ozi android isn't too big an ordeal. Making a custom map for the handheld GPS is a process indeed. but the handheld has an electronic compass, something really needed when navigating on foot. A cheap 7" tab with magnometer solves all the issues, I just cant find a cheap one.
                  MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• Stubbyhold3r
                    • Feb 2018
                    • NSW Far Sth Coast

Just confirming my earlier query about the Samsung Tab A (2017 model 8") and it does indeed work out in the bush, and has GPS capabilities.
                    Went for a drive in an area that has 100% no signal to any towers with the Hema app loaded, and it preformed faultlessly
                    Virgin '05 NP Silver Platinum Edition - 3.8

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X