• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 98NL GL
    • Oct 2011
    • Cairns

Latest Prado

Drove a late model rental Prado for work today and noticed that I had to push down on the accelerator much harder from standing and also to get it up to 80- 100 speeds than I usually do with my NX. I find on my NX , it usually creeps up to 80 with no effort at and its standard. Any body experience the same
    XSWAT 1998 NL GL, 3.5L MANUAL, 2" OME 50 mm Lift, MAXXIS 751 33X12.5R15 on CSA N26 RIMS with -11 OFFSET, UNIDEN UHF, NARVA 175 SPOTTIES, AIRCON & RADIO/CD,......CONVERTED to SEVEN SEATER, Manual Hubs (ex tritton)
    1990 NG SWB 2.5 TDI AUTO JAPAN IMPORT, 33s, LIGHT BAR, GEN 2 IDLER & PITMAN ARMS. PLANS - Dual Battery.
    1999 NL SWB 2.8 TDI AUTO JAPAN IMPORT, INVECS TIPTRONIC AUTOMATIC GEARBOX, ARB BULLBAR, DUAL BATTERY, SPOTTIES, ROOF RACK.
    2016 MY16 PAJERO GLX AUTO DID GRAPHITE COLOR STOCK
  • kerway
    • Aug 2010
    • North West Sydney

Apart from the need to push it harder, how was the comparison in handling and ride to a Pajero. Not being one to believe the hype in all the 4wd review ( it has to be the winner because it's a Toyota ) , I was just curious as to your thoughts. Since Pajeros wont be around much longer, I'm just looking at options for the future
    NW CoolSilver with things bolted on it. Some better than others

Comment

• aussieintas
      Valued Member
      • Feb 2013
      • Sorell, Tasmania

I get to drive new Prados at work occasionally. Compared to my NS swb I'm not that impressed for a vehicle the value it is. Im not saying they are rubbish just for the money no thanks.

Compared to my NS agree re having to accelerate that bit more and the NS accelerates a lot more easier.
      2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
      88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
      92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
      92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
      99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
      95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
      08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• KiwiNTPajero
        Valued Member
        • Aug 2014
        • Wellington,New Zealand

depending what you are used to a prado handles like a top heavy boat compared to the pajero on the road.
        2009 NT GLS(NZ) diesel LWB auto
        BFG AT,Rhino Rack Vortex Bars,Foxwing Eco Awning,BUSHSKINZ I/C, sump guards and steps

"do not check the button for faster communication, this will throw a wobbly with some dongles"

Comment

• JoshF
          Valued Member
          • Jan 2008
          • Brisbane

Friend had an early 150 series, his wife complained it made her feel seasick as it pitched and rolled alot
          NS Tall and Short (Trakryder/Bilstein 2" lift with Polyairs) DiD "R", Gunmetal on BFG 270/60/17 AT's, TJM Bullbar, 9500lb Ox Winch, Icom 450, AirTech Snorkel, Cargo Barrier, Dual Battery System to power a CF 40, ScanguageII, LRA Auxillary Tank
          Custom Intercooler/Sump/Transmission Bash Plates and Sliders by http://www.bushskinz4x4.com.au/

Comment

• Peterng
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2013
            • Northern Rivers NSW

The new Prado has the smaller 2.8 diesel and coupled with a 6 speed auto would be a little bit sluggish when compared to earlier model Prado's and its competition, Isuzu, GM, Ford etc.
            There has been mainly cosmetic changes to some panels, front lights and a scrub up with the dash and so forth.
            The engine and drive train have remained the same, whilst Toyota has thrown in some extras
            to sweeten the facelift.
            Asking price of 62k, it is a bit rich when compared to some of the the competition...
            People will buy it because it is a Toyota and all the rest of the marketing hype that goes with it..

Comment

• Rodt
              • Jun 2010
              • Gunnedah

I have a Prado for work and a NW for the wife. I don't drive the wife's car anywhere near as much as the Prado but do agree with the acceleration comparison. I put it down to the 6 speed box as it is definitely a bit more effort to get up to speed than the previous Prado with the 5 speed. Other than these comments I don't have much to comment in relation to performance

However I do find the Prado to be a lot more stable and quieter than my NW when driving on the road. I find the rattles in the NW and the noise to be very distracting and not sure I like the appearance of sitting up a lot more. These comparisons could very well be due to the NW being a 2012 and the Prado a 2016 however they are the observations I have made

Rod

Comment

• rotare
                Valued Member
                • Nov 2007

I'd agree with Rodt. I've spent a bit of time in a latest model Prado as a passenger, but not driver. Seemed to go okay and it didn't appear to be sluggish even with the 2.8 motor. But what was much more noticeable was the suspension in the Prado was a lot more supple / softer / smoother and the cabin much more quieter than my NW. My Pajero's suspension feels harsh in comparison going over the same stretch of roads, which is also likely why the Paj seems to have more annoying squeaks and rattles too.
                2013 NW VRX

Comment

• littleriver
                  Valued Member
                  • Jan 2013
                  • Queensland

new prado coming out next month
                  2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• _jp_
                    Valued Member
                    • Dec 2013
                    • Adelaide Hills, SA

A good mate just bought a 2017 Prado 2.8. Its certainly finished off much better than my NW and no squeaks or rattles that have become common place for me. For the extra $20k I think I can manage to put up with them though.

He was very worried about the DPF but he has configured the codes in his Scangauge so can see the percentage the DPF is "full" and also force a DPF burn if needed.
                    NW GLXR - SOLD
                    --------------
                    EVO 6 TME

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                      Valued Member
                      • Aug 2016
                      • Greater Sydney

He was very worried about the DPF but he has configured the codes in his Scangauge so can see the percentage the DPF is "full" and also force a DPF burn if needed.

Interesting.

Comment

• _jp_
                        Valued Member
                        • Dec 2013
                        • Adelaide Hills, SA

Originally posted by BruceandBobbi View Post

Interesting.
                        Yeah, I was surprised too. Here's a thread on Pradopoint about it.
                        NW GLXR - SOLD
                        --------------
                        EVO 6 TME

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                          Valued Member
                          • Aug 2016
                          • Greater Sydney

Originally posted by _jp_ View Post
                          Yeah, I was surprised too. Here's a thread on Pradopoint about it.
                          There are some smart cookies out there jp.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X