• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Turtlee
    • Apr 2013
    • Western Australia

Tips on used V6 NT?

Hi
    Asking for a friend that’s thinking of buying a V6 NT MY10 with about 240k km.
    It’s in his budget range that’s why . Any tips on what to look for with that many KM’s?. How reliable is the V6 ? Any known problems etc .

Thanks guys
    MY13 NW Pajero GLXR 3.2 Turbo Diesel
    Bushskinz Sump & Intercooler plates , MM Alloy Bullbar , Safari Snorkel , Turbo Timer , Factory Rear Diff Lock , GME TX 3220 , HD Front & SD Rear 2" Lovells Springs, Hercules Terra Trac AT LT275/70/17 , Roley's rear skid plate , TC + RDL Mod , EGR blank , SPV Mod.
  • ticky
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2015
    • Adelaide

The petrol Pajero's are very thirsty. My advice would be to buy a diesel

Steve
    2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: ARB Deluxe Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Comment

• vrx26
      • Sep 2014
      • Melbourne, Victoria

I have a V6 petrol Pajero. Bought it second hand with 100K's - had issue with leaking rocker cover gasket and tube seals but was repaired under warranty. Earlier V6 also have known issues with crack manifolds but NT onwards seems to be not an issue. Also note that V6 autos have the Jatco transmission and not the Aisin. Other than that it is a very reliable and proven engine.

As mentioned V6 can be thirsty on fuel 15-17L/100 klms on daily drive. 12L / 100klms is possible on long drives.

With all used car purchase - checking service history is always a must.
      09 NT Pajero Exceed V6 (OEM Nudge bar, Bonnet Protectors+Headlight Protectors, Stedi light bar, IDrive throttle controller, Lifted with Dobinson IMS Suspension)
      Bucket list: Bushkinz plates

Comment

• Turtlee
        • Apr 2013
        • Western Australia

Thanks for the replies . Will definitely check the Ye service history, and about the Marco and aisin transmission. What’s the difference ?

Thanks
        Bushskinz Sump & Intercooler plates , MM Alloy Bullbar , Safari Snorkel , Turbo Timer , Factory Rear Diff Lock , GME TX 3220 , HD Front & SD Rear 2" Lovells Springs, Hercules Terra Trac AT LT275/70/17 , Roley's rear skid plate , TC + RDL Mod , EGR blank , SPV Mod.

Comment

• nj swb
          Resident
          • Jun 2007
          • Adelaide

Originally posted by Turtlee View Post
          Thanks for the replies . Will definitely check the Ye service history, and about the Marco and aisin transmission. What’s the difference ?

Thanks
          Don't ya just love auto correct?

The Jatco was introduced with the NM, and also installed (with a different torque converter) in the PB / PC Challenger.

The Aisin replaced it behind the diesel in the Pajero from NT onwards, which we believe is a torque rating issue - the Jatco transmission seems good to high 300s Nm, the Pajero diesel jumped from about 370Nm in the NS to 440Nm in the NT.

Other than that, the Aisin seems to have better engine braking without locking the torque converter, but can't lock in first (with an aftermarket lockup kit). The Jatco seems to give less engine braking, but can be locked in first.

The Jatco is fussier about using the correct spec transmission fluid.

All up, for the V6, I wouldn't worry about it - the Jatco should be fine.
          NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
            Valued Member
            • Aug 2016
            • Greater Sydney

Think there is a lot of puff and wind re Jatco box. Yes some fail as some of everything will fail.

Our diesel NS has the Jatco box and at 330,000k is still running perfectly. It's fully flushed every 45,000k.

We have a stuffed turbo in that it is over boosting and under boosting. Doesn't mean there is a problem with NS turbos.

Sharkcaver has stuffed front bearings at 80,000k plus problems with his CVs.

It's called luck.

Comment

• Turtlee
              • Apr 2013
              • Western Australia

Yep how embarrassing auto correct haha.
              These don’t have a DPF obviously? And what about timing belts ?.

Comment

• gaz1
                Valued Member
                • Jun 2007
                • Blue Mountains NSW

I've had three V6 Pajeros (NG, NM, NT - current) and had virtually no mechanical issues with the engines. The first one I towed dual horse floats, the second and third (both Jatco autos) I tow a 2300-2400kg caravan. The highest mileage I got to was with the NM which had about 230,000 when I sold it - not using any oil even then. I am rather fanatical about servicing, engine oil gets changed about 7,500 km, tansmission changes about 25-30,000km (or less depending on how much towing I've done). Make sure timing belt is changed every 100,000km - when I bought the NT is had just ticked over that distance and there was no evidence of having been changed so negotiated with the dealer (a MM agent) to have it done and new spark plugs at the same time. I get 12-14l/100km when not towing and 20-22 towing (worse if into a big headwind or lots of hills).
                But I've never given a thought to DPF issues, failing diesel fuel pumps, catch cans etc etc. So I'm a happy Pajero V6 owner, in between purchase cost and less maintenance expenses I don't worry much about the overall costs of the vehicle including fuel. More torque would be nice when towing, but with the 3.8 NT I find it travels easily everywhere at the speed I want to go at - towing, 90-95 is my sweet spot.
                2010 MY 2011 VR-X V6. Stock standard.

Previously 02 NM auto V6 Exceed silver. Extra transmission cooler & transmission temp gauge, activated rear lights, Impco sequential LPG system, Redback (Wildcat) Headers, heavy duty radiator. Lovells shocks F & R, Polyair bags in rear.

My original Pajero experience - '90 NG Superwagon, 3.0 V6 manual bought new and kept until 1998. Great vehicle, no problems apart from the noisy valve lifters typical of that engine.

Comment

• nj swb
                  Resident
                  • Jun 2007
                  • Adelaide

Originally posted by Turtlee View Post
                  These don’t have a DPF obviously?
                  The "D" is for "Diesel".
                  NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X