Clear All
  • craigw
    • Feb 2011
    • sydney

Ps tyres decision

Hi .just traded my pb challenger on a new gls 5 seat and have a
    Decision on tyres .have 2 options
    1 trade existing new tyres on a set of at 265/65 18
    2 have a spare set of 17s off my challenger .go for a set 265/70 17. Probbably sell 18s with new tyres
    Another dilemma go for bff ka02 light truck or new Pirelli scorpion atr plus
    Any recommendations much appreciated
    2011 Ls Manual , Cooper ST 265/70/17 , Tough Dog Suspension, Safari Snorkel
    2018 Pajero Sport GLS 5 Pirelli scorpion ATR plus 265/65 18
  • pajeromack
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2014
    • NSW

Depends on how you're going to use it.

For offroad use I'd remove the 18" rims and put on the 265/70 17's. You could either sell the 18's or put them in storage for when you sell the car

Comment

• old Jack
      Regular
      • Jun 2011
      • Adelaide, South Australia.

Hi Craig,

The ATR Plus and the BFG KO2 are 2 completely different tyres so it really depends on what your expectations are in regards to on road comfort and handling vs off road traction and toughness.

ATR Plus come in a limited range of sizes and construction, and are mild AT with an on road bias.

P265-60R/18 100H, this is a low load rating passenger tyre, factory diameter.
      P265-65R/18 114T, extra load passenger construction that is 28mm large in diameter.
      P265-65R/17 112T, passenger construction factory diameter.
      LT265-70R-17 121S, Heavy duty light truck construction that is 28mm larger in diameter.

BFG KO2 also come in a range of sizes except they are all heavy duty LT construction that are an aggressive AT with an off road bias.

LT265-60R/18 119S factory diameter.
      LT265-65R/18 121R 28mm larger in diameter.
      LT265-65R/17 120S factory diameter.
      LT265-70R/17 121S 28mm larger in diameter.
      LT255-70R/17 121S 14mm larger in diameter.

Note, if you are seriously considering a 10 ply LT tyre then there are better options available for less money.

Cooper ST Maxx, Mickey Thompson ATZ P3 for example are much stronger, will last, longer, have better off road traction and cost you less.

OJ.
      Last edited by old Jack; 20-02-19, 05:03 PM.
      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
      MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• littleriver
        Valued Member
        • Jan 2013
        • Queensland

X2 on the above ...

Also Don’t over look Nitto tyres .. have been a lot of good reviews .... Bob Jane has some great tyre and wheel packages on these tyres ... and will most probably give you a good trade on existing tyres.. best to go with 5 for better rotation and longevity...

NB for got to mention if in the next to near future if you are going to give your vehicle a lift, tyre size and lift combination law for your state ...
        Last edited by littleriver; 08-02-19, 11:15 AM.
        2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• craigw
          • Feb 2011
          • sydney

Thanks guys , already have the bfg on my challenger replacing cooper st , much prefer bfg much less noise on the blacktop , still marginal in the wet though , a friend just got the Pirelli on his Toureg , says he likes them , probably will only be doing normal offroad now , maybe the simpson again and up the strezlecki , Oodnadatta etc , no real hard off road rutted tracks etc wondering how the 17s would go on the blacktop compared to the 18s. Find the PS a bit bouncy and hard on the 18 tyres supplied on the road

Comment

• silverbull
            • Sep 2018
            • Sydney

If you are going 17's then why not 275/70R17 ? they are legal (within the extra 50mm allowable overall diameter increase from the original tyre size) and you get a bit more clearance. Edit: I probably should have also said I run this size on my PS with no issues. I run them on triton rims which are identical offset to the PS rims.
            Last edited by silverbull; 08-02-19, 08:06 PM. Reason: update

Comment

• old Jack
              Regular
              • Jun 2011
              • Adelaide, South Australia.

Since you want a quiet tyre that is good in the wet, OK in mild off road conditions but is strong enough to carry touring loads off the bitumen, then the ATR Plus in LT265/70R17 121S would be the tyre that most suits your stated requirements. There are a few other brands that have a 10ply LT construction with a mild AT tread pattern. 17" will be cheaper and give you more comfort on road and the ability to air down further when off road.

OJ.
              2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
              MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• craigw
                • Feb 2011
                • sydney

Originally posted by silverbull View Post
                If you are going 17's then why not 275/70R17 ? they are legal (within the extra 50mm allowable overall diameter increase from the original tyre size) and you get a bit more clearance. Edit: I probably should have also said I run this size on my PS with no issues. I run them on triton rims which are identical offset to the PS rims.
                Thanks
                What tyres are they .are they lite truck .would love to see a pic of them on your car

Comment

• JohnFromPerth
                  • Mar 2018
                  • Western Australia

A good compromise is the Hankook Dynapro AT-M 265/60R18 114T XL

This is an xtra load construction tyre with good off road performance.

Comment

• silverbull
                    • Sep 2018
                    • Sydney

Originally posted by craigw View Post
                    Thanks
                    What tyres are they .are they lite truck .would love to see a pic of them on your car
                    They are Cooper AT3 light truck. Sorry I tried to upload some pics but the size restriction wouldn't allow, also converted to pdf and tried again but the upload failed for some reason.

Comment

• mholdern
                      • Mar 2017
                      • Adelaide

Originally posted by silverbull View Post
                      They are Cooper AT3 light truck. Sorry I tried to upload some pics but the size restriction wouldn't allow, also converted to pdf and tried again but the upload failed for some reason.
                      How is the noise with the AT3's?

Comment

• Flying
                        • Jul 2016
                        • Sydney

I've got stock size at3's , no noise at all really... only 5k on them so far but they seem good
                        White 2016 Pajero Sport GLS, MM bullbar, HR towbar + andersen hitch, towpro, lovells 2" lift, cooper at3's, bushskinz, thule bars, clearviews, redarc bcdc + 110ah lithium, engel MRF40 fridge, GME TX3350, cel-fi go, ultragauge, idrive, nitro maxx 22" LED bar, awning, cargo barrier, ARB compressor.

Comment

• silverbull
                          • Sep 2018
                          • Sydney

Originally posted by mholdern View Post
                          How is the noise with the AT3's?
                          I have to listen on purpose to notice the difference between the AT3's and the OEM highway terrain's I took off. There is a difference but not much.

Comment

• littleriver
                            Valued Member
                            • Jan 2013
                            • Queensland

Originally posted by craigw View Post
                            Thanks guys , already have the bfg on my challenger replacing cooper st , much prefer bfg much less noise on the blacktop , still marginal in the wet though , a friend just got the Pirelli on his Toureg , says he likes them , probably will only be doing normal offroad now , maybe the simpson again and up the strezlecki , Oodnadatta etc , no real hard off road rutted tracks etc wondering how the 17s would go on the blacktop compared to the 18s. Find the PS a bit bouncy and hard on the 18 tyres supplied on the road
                            Which bfg type of tyre did you go with ?

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• pajeromack
                              Valued Member
                              • Jun 2014
                              • NSW

Originally posted by JohnFromPerth View Post
                              A good compromise is the Hankook Dynapro AT-M 265/60R18 114T XL

This is an xtra load construction tyre with good off road performance.
                              I used to run the Hankook Dynapro AT-M's on my Pajero and found that they were too road focused. Tread blocks filled up with mud and left me scrabbling for grip. Great on-road but fairly poor off-road.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X