Below Nav Bar Ad Module

Collapse

Storing Self Inflating Mattresses rolled up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bru9
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2014
    • Victoria

Storing Self Inflating Mattresses rolled up?

I know they always say not to, but for storing in a 4wd or camper trailer I simply can't keep them unfolded. Not gonna happen. I have self inflated mattresses years old that have spent 99% of their life rolled up & they seem to still work, however they take alot longer to self inflate.
    So I just breath into them to speed the process up.

Can anyone say from experience if the comfort is comprised if stored rolled up? I have the large wide black wolf mattresses.

cheers
    2000 NM Exceed Auto V6 3.5
  • Pajshomoneroguntero
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2013
    • Sydney

I can't answer for the long term effects of keeping the mates rolled up but I'm interested to hear. What I can add is the recommendation to not breathe into the mats to inflate them. Your breath will introduce water vapour and bacteria which can then thrive. Use the pump sacks ie the bag that the mats come in to inflate. Faster and easier too.
    NX GLS MY16 Auto: MM Towbar | Spare Lift Kit | Cooper ST MAXX 265/65R17 | SPVi Module mk3.1 | Autosafe Half Cargo Barrier | Torque Pro App | Donaldson 3um 2ndry Fuel Filter | Diff Breathers | GME4500 UHF | Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform | Roley's Rear Bash Plate | Bushskinz Underbody Protection | Airtec Snorkel | Onboard Compressor | Awning | ARB Deluxe Bar | Lightbar | Sherpa4x4 Winch | Bushskinz Sidesteps | Masten TPMS

Build Thread

Comment

• Pauno
      • Dec 2012
      • Newcastle

I have one of the original camping mattresses when they first came out and you need to roll it with the bag it comes with. It is a double and the instructions said to as well. It is old so is probably only 7-8cm vs the new ones being much thicker.
      I recently bought a new one in a king single and it was folded, the instructions say to fold it, and the ties mean you have to fold it.
      Best way to inflate them is out them in the sun for a while or the hood of your car at the end of a trip as it’s hot.
      Last edited by Pauno; 31-01-19, 08:17 PM.
      NW Exceed

Comment

• Bru9
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2014
        • Victoria

Originally posted by Pajshomoneroguntero View Post
        I can't answer for the long term effects of keeping the mates rolled up but I'm interested to hear. What I can add is the recommendation to not breathe into the mats to inflate them. Your breath will introduce water vapour and bacteria which can then thrive. Use the pump sacks ie the bag that the mats come in to inflate. Faster and easier too.
        My old Nomad self inflating mattresses are damaged somewhat from doing this. The foam must become more dense & so you need more air pressure to inflate, they simple won't have enough air in them without additional pressure & you feel the ground. Can't say about comfort as its only a thin one and was never really comfortable.
        2000 NM Exceed Auto V6 3.5

Comment

• Pajshomoneroguntero
          Valued Member
          • Jul 2013
          • Sydney

Originally posted by Bru9 View Post
          My old Nomad self inflating mattresses are damaged somewhat from doing this. The foam must become more dense & so you need more air pressure to inflate, they simple won't have enough air in them without additional pressure & you feel the ground. Can't say about comfort as its only a thin one and was never really comfortable.
          Thanks for the feedback. I have the Blackwolf mats. I do note that if I inflate the mat with the pump sack the mat feels just like an air mattress until the foam inside expands to offer some more support/cushioning. I suppose the mat will always work as long as it doesn’t leak but the foam really makes it comfy.
          NX GLS MY16 Auto: MM Towbar | Spare Lift Kit | Cooper ST MAXX 265/65R17 | SPVi Module mk3.1 | Autosafe Half Cargo Barrier | Torque Pro App | Donaldson 3um 2ndry Fuel Filter | Diff Breathers | GME4500 UHF | Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform | Roley's Rear Bash Plate | Bushskinz Underbody Protection | Airtec Snorkel | Onboard Compressor | Awning | ARB Deluxe Bar | Lightbar | Sherpa4x4 Winch | Bushskinz Sidesteps | Masten TPMS

Build Thread

Comment

• old Jack
            Regular
            • Jun 2011
            • Adelaide, South Australia.

I still have my original Thermarest hiking (15mm) self inflating mattress which is just over 40 years old and is still used along with another that is 30 years old and 2x 24 year old Thermorest Camping mattresses that are thicker (30mm) and wider. We have had a few other cheaper brands in the quest for more perceived comfort as we got older and the children have grown up so we have more room for luxury items but these have all failed. Recently I was given a Blackwolf Mega Mat which is long, wide and 60mm thick so we will see how long this last before it is back to the old trusting vintage Thermarest's.

The internal foam is what enables the mattress to self inflate as well as providing insulation. The quality of the foam, the internal bonding of the foam to the cover, cover seams and inflation/deflation valve are all integral to the performance and longevity of the mat. Because we have so many they are all stored rolled up tight so they take a bit of time to inflate when first used after extended storage, a warm tent, a short time in the sun or on the bonnet of the car does assist in inflation. We have always used a few breaths to top up the air and have never had any issues. One thing we have found is in the hot weather it is best to open the valve during the day as the air in the mats can expand and put a lot of pressure on the cover seams, this is particularly important on the thicker mats. This also protects them from shock point loads during the day when you are in and out of the tent and you have to crawl or walk on the mats when they are inflated, kids jumping on them also produces the same shock point loads.

Mrs OJ now uses a self inflating mat on a stretcher which she finds more comfortable than on the ground which has its advantages on rocky or uneven ground compared to a mat directly on the ground.

OJ.
            2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
            MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Onslow
              Valued Member
              • Aug 2007
              • Perth, Western Australia

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
              I still have my original Thermarest hiking (15mm) self inflating mattress which is just over 40 years old and is still used along with another that is 30 years old and 2x 24 year old Thermorest Camping mattresses that are thicker (30mm) and wider. We have had a few other cheaper brands in the quest for more perceived comfort as we got older and the children have grown up so we have more room for luxury items but these have all failed. Recently I was given a Blackwolf Mega Mat which is long, wide and 60mm thick so we will see how long this last before it is back to the old trusting vintage Thermarest's.

The internal foam is what enables the mattress to self inflate as well as providing insulation. The quality of the foam, the internal bonding of the foam to the cover, cover seams and inflation/deflation valve are all integral to the performance and longevity of the mat. Because we have so many they are all stored rolled up tight so they take a bit of time to inflate when first used after extended storage, a warm tent, a short time in the sun or on the bonnet of the car does assist in inflation. We have always used a few breaths to top up the air and have never had any issues. One thing we have found is in the hot weather it is best to open the valve during the day as the air in the mats can expand and put a lot of pressure on the cover seams, this is particularly important on the thicker mats. This also protects them from shock point loads during the day when you are in and out of the tent and you have to crawl or walk on the mats when they are inflated, kids jumping on them also produces the same shock point loads.

Mrs OJ now uses a self inflating mat on a stretcher which she finds more comfortable than on the ground which has its advantages on rocky or uneven ground compared to a mat directly on the ground.

OJ.
              OJ is quite right here - I spent 8 years in the outdoor manufacturing and retail game and came across this a lot. Self inflating mats should in theory be stored flat, with the valves open, and away from any heat sources including summer heat in a shed or garage. They should never be left in a tent or vehicle during the day in summer with the valves closed either, even if they are rolled up - this is not so easy to manage sometimes.

The reason for storing flat and with the valves open is to maintain the memory in the foam and minimise it's break down over time. It also allows for temperature variations which may cause a pressure increase if the valves are closed. In summer temperatures, with the valves closed, there is a pressure build up combined with a degradation of the glue bonding the outer surface to the foam. This will cause the surface material to separate from the foam and result in a bubble somewhere in the mat, which only continues to grow, is uncomfortable and not fixable. An expensive result as these mats are not cheap!
              NOW SOLD: NW MY2014 VRX 3.2 Diesel Auto, Rhino Rack Roof Rack, Sandgrabber Floor Mats, Safari Snorkel, Warn XP9.5S Winch, ARB Bull Bar, Bushskinz Underbody Protection, Lovells HD Springs, Bilstein Shocks, Firestone Airbags, Off Road Systems Rear Shelf, Boab 40Lt Water Tank, Cooper LT265/65x17 ST-Maxx Tyres, Uniden 7760 UHF Radio, LRA 58LT Long Range Tank, ARB Intensity Spotlights, Redarc BCDC Dual Battery System, Taipan XP 3in Exhaust System, Recaro Seats.

Comment

• crash486
                • Jan 2018
                • Blackheath, NSW

Just bought a new non self inflatable that is inflated via the storage bag. It stores rolled up and is tiny compared to the self inflatable. For the price well worth it.

Crash486

Comment

• nj swb
                  Resident
                  • Jun 2007
                  • Adelaide

Originally posted by crash486 View Post
                  Just bought a new non self inflatable that is inflated via the storage bag. It stores rolled up and is tiny compared to the self inflatable. For the price well worth it.

Crash486
                  An R-value of 0.7 is quite low - negligible thermal insulation, to help keep you warm on cold nights. As a comparison, my Thermarest Base Camp (50mm thick) has an R-value of 5.8.

Horses for courses.
                  NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Having Fun
                    • Jun 2015
                    • Adelaide

OJ.

You were using a self inflating mattress in 1978? Kudos to you! You were ahead of your time

I was still digging a depression in the bare ground under my sleeping bag for my hip to rest in.

Comment

• old Jack
                      Regular
                      • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Having Fun View Post
                      You were using a self inflating mattress in 1978? Kudos to you! You were ahead of your time

I was still digging a depression in the bare ground under my sleeping bag for my hip to rest in.

Yes it was a great extravagance at the time but I was doing regular multi day hikes and the closed cell Karrimat was the standard sleeping mat used by serious hikers but the upgrade to a Thermorest self inflating was a huge step up in comfort for a little extra weight.

OJ.
                      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.

Comment

• nj swb
                        Resident
                        • Jun 2007
                        • Adelaide

Yes it was a great extravagance at the time but I was doing regular multi day hikes and the closed cell Karrimat was the standard sleeping mat used by serious hikers but the upgrade to a Thermorest self inflating was a huge step up in comfort for a little extra weight.

OJ.
                        While I'm not quite in OJ's "experience" league, I too remember the old closed cell mat, and the revelation that was my 38mm 3/4 length (hips to shoulders) Thermarest - probably 35 years old? I still have it, but my original hasn't been used for probably 13 or 14 years - I suspect Cape York in 2005 was the last time it was used in anger.

I bought a 50mm Thermarest for my then partner, and foolishly left it when I left her. I bought myself a cheaper alternative, which never held air through the night - it turned out the material wasn't airtight. So I bought two more genuine Thermarest 50mm mats, and haven't looked back.
                        NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Having Fun
                          • Jun 2015
                          • Adelaide

OJ.

You should be commended for looking after yourself. I did a fair bit of walking around in the sticks back then too, but no mattress & a rolled up jumper for a pillow. I got away with it (so far at least), lots aren't near so lucky.

I have to admit that I always thought "why?" when I saw guys carrying rolled up mattresses back then. But they were right & I was wrong.

Comment

• old Jack
                            Regular
                            • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Having Fun View Post
                            You should be commended for looking after yourself. I did a fair bit of walking around in the sticks back then too, but no mattress & a rolled up jumper for a pillow. I got away with it (so far at least), lots aren't near so lucky.

I have to admit that I always thought "why?" when I saw guys carrying rolled up mattresses back then. But they were right & I was wrong.
                            Unfortunately my days of carrying 45kg on my back for up to 25km a day over rough country for multiple days in row are well and truely over, 15-20kms carrying 10-15kgs is my daily limit as I have wacked on 25kg since my prime, lost 30% of permanent lung capacity and about about 40% of balance capacity. Could be a whole lot worse so not complaining. I still bush walk 10- 15 kms every weekend, am a volunteer backup/rescue/support and maintenance with the Friends of the Heysen Trail, and am doing a pack free 3 Capes Walk in Tasmania in about a months time.
                            Use it or Lose it or Adventure before Dementia it does not really matter!
                            Hanging out and going away with the other SA Forum members also reduces my active age!

OJ.

Comment

• Having Fun
                              • Jun 2015
                              • Adelaide

Good on you for still being involved!

I don't walk much at all any more, I'm too fat & too lazy lol.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X