• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alex86
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2007
    • Here and there

Window stuck up

Hi all. Rear right window in the escape won't move- I've confirmed it's the electric motor at fault. I've got an entire new regulator/slide ready to replace, but the issue I'm having is that I can't get to the screws that attach the bracket to the bottom of the glass as it is in the up position. All the other regulators I've changed the window has been down.

Short of cutting the cable or the vertical bit the window slides on, any tips for non-destructive removal?

Looked at trying to effectively disconnect the motor and see if it then slides but have also had difficulty in trying to do that as I can't get real good access to that unless the rest of the mechanism comes out.
    '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc
    Towing: 4.8m Savage Centurion half-cab w/75hp Mariner

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.
  • nj swb
    Resident
    • Jun 2007
    • Adelaide

I had an intermittent passenger side window due to one faulty winding in the motor. If the motor stopped on that winding, it wouldn't re-start, but some time later, it would work again - I could only guess vibration jiggled the motor enough to bring another winding into circuit, and away it went.

So, long story short, try "bumping" the motor to see if you can kick-start it?
    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Alex86
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2007
      • Here and there

That was one of the first things I tried actually.

Probably should have mentioned it!
      '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Comment

• stumagoo
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2014
        • Perth WA S.O.R

bolts that hold it should be 10 mm if you have full door cards do your best to line it up and drill a hole above each use a long extension and a 10 mm socket to un do them - also undo all the regulator mounting bolts then you remove the regulator with the window left up (use masking tape or similar around the edge of the frame to hold the window in place while you undo everything).

it also may be possible to just undo the regulator assembly and drop the window that way although that is not always the case
        1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
        *** retired to the big wrecking yard in the sky***
        1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, running a 6g75 (3.8) with M90 supercharger at 14psi, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back

Comment

• Kingbrown
          Valued Member
          • Apr 2012
          • Port Augusta - SA

Once you get the motor out it would be worth checking the continuity of any protective devices that are integral to the motor.
          I'm thinking dodgy contacts of circuit breaker/overload (or maybe limit switches?).
          2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

• Alex86
            Valued Member
            • Jul 2007
            • Here and there

Okie dokie I looked at it with fresh eyes and was able to remove without any destruction.

Undid all the mounting bolts- 3 on the regulator/motor unit, 2 at the top of the guide/slide rail and 1 at the bottom.
            This allowed me to lower the whole unit, with the glass still attached to the sliding bracket (can't get to these screws with the window up).

This then gave me good access to the motor. (Photo 1)

I then removed the metal cover off the motor. I just spun it a bunch of times by hand and this slowly wound the window down (with a little pushing force on the window, not much needed though), allowing me to get to the screws on the sliding bracket, and separate the unit from the glass, allowing the whole thing to be removed. You can see the screwdriver poking through the access hole for one of the screws. (Photos 2 & 3)

Tip for next time, once the cover is off the motor, just grab the coil thingo and just pull it out. The window will then move freely then. (Photo 4)

Install is effectively just the reverse. Had to put power to the new motor and move the slide to the appropriate spot so I could get the screws into place.
            New one in, works a treat.

Reason why I thought I wouldn't be able to get it out without some destruction was because I didn't realise the slide/rail didn't go to the bottom of the door (as they do in the front) so I thought even if I undid the whole lot, I still couldn't drop it enough to get access. BUT! as I discovered today on the fresh look, there's plenty of space below the bottom of the slide, so got it done as per the description.
            Attached Files

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X