• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Allanmac56
    • Oct 2013
    • Ningi

Sseat release

Just bought a 2004 pajero and have discovered I cant fold the middle row seats forward. I presume the cable has stretched or broken but I cant work out how to get at the mechanism to repair it.Does anyone have any tricks for this??
    NH ragtop shorty, 2.5 tdi, safari snorkel,lifted around 2" but after 26 yrs of abuse looks and feels like a whole lot more everyday car that turns into a miniature beast when called on.
  • RoyHarvey
    • Mar 2008
    • Adelaide

It's a common problem with NM & NP models at least.

Need to lift the release leaver right up and hold it at the max position until the seat back is folded down and the base is released.

Having someone each side to hold both the levers can help.

Plenty of posts on the subject if you want to search for them.
    2016 NX Pajero GLX
    Prev....2002 NM petrol passed on to SIL

Comment

• Allanmac56
      • Oct 2013
      • Ningi

Thank you

After much huffing and puffing with a few ear burning expletives we finally got the seat up. Have stripped it dow adjusted the cables and all seems to be working now.

Ty for your help
      NH ragtop shorty, 2.5 tdi, safari snorkel,lifted around 2" but after 26 yrs of abuse looks and feels like a whole lot more everyday car that turns into a miniature beast when called on.

Comment

• chrisall
        • Sep 2016
        • WA

Originally posted by RoyHarvey View Post
        It's a common problem with NM & NP models at least.

Need to lift the release leaver right up and hold it at the max position until the seat back is folded down and the base is released.

Having someone each side to hold both the levers can help.

Plenty of posts on the subject if you want to search for them.
        Are there any other tips or tricks to manually releasing the mechanism? My RH (the double) seat back tips forwards but the catches on the base won't release. I took the carpet material off the back and released the cables from the mechanism. Tried pulling both cables together with mole grips, but still can't get it free. Feels like one side is releasing but not the other.

If the cable that goes to the seat base latch has broken then what next? Am almost at the point of taking a crowbar to it and busting the latch!

Cheers,
        2003 NP 3.5. Davies Craig tranny cooler, Dual battery, LED front fogs, Safari 'style' snorkel, LED reverse / work light, reverse cam, BushSkinz, LED interior lights, Joying android head unit, side steps, LED spotties, 17" steelies, bunny bar.

Comment

• tiger99
          • Oct 2015
          • Brisbane

I seem to recall on my inlaws Paj you had to pull the cushioned shoulder flap (don't know what else to call it) on the backrest forward as you pull the lever. I think this may have been due to wear n tear rather than by design.

Pete
          2011 NT RX. Ironbark. 2.5 x 2.5 Awning.

Comment

• erad
            Valued Member
            • Mar 2015
            • Cooma NSW

Mr rear seat sticks at times when I try to fold it up. Naturally, I am never at home when it dos this, so I don't have access to grease etc, but I would be inclined to lubricate the catches when the seat does come up so that hopefully they won't stick in the future.

Remember that you cannot disable these catches because the buckle of the seat belts is attached to the seat base, and any forces in a crash would be transferred through the catches of the frame of the car.

Comment

• chrisall
              • Sep 2016
              • WA

Originally posted by erad View Post
              Mr rear seat sticks at times when I try to fold it up. Naturally, I am never at home when it dos this, so I don't have access to grease etc, but I would be inclined to lubricate the catches when the seat does come up so that hopefully they won't stick in the future.

Remember that you cannot disable these catches because the buckle of the seat belts is attached to the seat base, and any forces in a crash would be transferred through the catches of the frame of the car.
              Did it in the end, what a bugger of a job. This worked for me:
              • Remove top plastic covers where backrest and base pivot, so can access release cables
              • Tightly hold end of cable with mole grips
              • Get the boy, or any other person you can find to jump up and down on the seat cushion
              • Apply leverage from underside of seat with jack handle (damages the underside plastic cover though)
              • Sharply tug on cable as hard as you dare
              • Wedge piece of wood under the free side so can't latch again
              • Repeat on other side

It was a great relief when seat finally flew up, launching the boy (he thought it fun!)

I then unbolted both rear seats, removed the covers off the bases and adjusted the cables. Also applied liberal coating of white grease to any moving parts. My seats now release beautifully, no more having to get the timing just right between folding the back and rolling the base forwards in one motion.

One thing I did note - if ever a release cable snaps you are stuffed, the only way to free them would be to destroy the seat cushion and go in from above. The hinges and catches are completely inaccessible with the seats latched.
              2003 NP 3.5. Davies Craig tranny cooler, Dual battery, LED front fogs, Safari 'style' snorkel, LED reverse / work light, reverse cam, BushSkinz, LED interior lights, Joying android head unit, side steps, LED spotties, 17" steelies, bunny bar.

Comment

• erad
                Valued Member
                • Mar 2015
                • Cooma NSW

Chrisall: From what you say, maybe there is value in regularly operating the seat mechanism to ensure that it operates smoothly?

Comment

• chrisall
                  • Sep 2016
                  • WA

Originally posted by erad View Post
                  Chrisall: From what you say, maybe there is value in regularly operating the seat mechanism to ensure that it operates smoothly?
                  Absolutely yes, also lubricate the latches and cables periodically. One of my latches had some surface rust whic corresponded with rust in the recess in floor, so suspect may have been some water in there previously.

The other issue is the cables themselves. The way it operates is when you fold the back down the cable inner is pulled towards the back of car, but under the seat the cable does a 180dwg turn in a small space so it pulls the catch towards the front.

My advice would be if your seats are fussy to fold, you have to get the folding and rolling action just so for it to work, then best to adjust and lubricate. I just left mine because was always just like that and always worked eventually...until it didn’t!

Cheers

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X