• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chrisall
    • Sep 2016
    • WA

Rear Hub Nut

How tight should the rear hub nut 'feel'?

I have a slight drone on left rear so suspected wheel bearing or hub nut not tight. The nut looked like it had loosened slightly as the split pin was hard up on one side of the slot in the castle nut. This was different to the drivers side where the slot was perfectly in line with the hole and the pin was a loose fit.

I wound my torque wrench up to max 210NM, but it clicked as soon as I tightened the nut and I could still move it a bit more without too much effort. With a 3foot breaker bar and a bit of weight on it I could turn the nut so that the next slot lined up with the hole in the shaft.

BTW - the nut is 36mm, not 32 as I read some have. I read basically it's supposed to be FT, and people having to undo with lengths of scaffolding etc.

Cheers
    2003 NP 3.5. Davies Craig tranny cooler, Dual battery, LED front fogs, Safari 'style' snorkel, LED reverse / work light, reverse cam, BushSkinz, LED interior lights, Joying android head unit, side steps, LED spotties, 17" steelies, bunny bar.
  • kiwi1973
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2012
    • New Zealand

'FT', as you put it, is correct. However, seems odd that you say you could still easily do the nut up further after your torque wrench 'clicked' at 210NM - are you sure the torque wrench is accurate?

If you have a drone that is caused by the wheel bearing then I somehow doubt tightening the hub nut is going to resolve this for you and I expect the wheel bearing is nearing time for replacement. I personally wouldn't be going 'bush' or anywhere remote until it was fixed. Sometimes wheel bearings drone for a long time, other times they fail very quickly and could easily leave you stranded.

Replace as a hub assembly - there is loads of rubbish on Ebay - be 100% certain to only fit an OEM quality replacement. There are cheaper options than buying from dealer, but the bearing itself should have a reputable quality name stamped on it, such as 'Koyo Japan'.
    2007 Shogun 3.2DID. UK Diamond Spec. Harrop Eaton front E-locker. MCC Bullbar. Runva 11XP winch. 17" Dotz rims with 32" STT Pro. Koni HT RAID 90 series with +2" EHD Lovells springs. ASFIR protection plates for engine & transmission. DIY steel rocksliders. LRA 81 litre auxiliary fuel tank. Waeco CFX-40. Home made drawers & fridge slide. Dual power - 120a/h AGM with CTEK DC-DC. LED lighting. 43 litre water tank with two electric pumps - one for tap (via filter) & one via heat exchanger.

Comment

• mrbitchi
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2007
      • Brisbane

255Nm. That's BLOODY tight
      Cheers, John.
      LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
      Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

• chrisall
        • Sep 2016
        • WA

Originally posted by kiwi1973 View Post
        However, seems odd that you say you could still easily do the nut up further after your torque wrench 'clicked' at 210NM - are you sure the torque wrench is accurate?
        I have no way of knowing if the torque wrench is accurate, what I suspect is that I didn't torque it correctly as I didn't loosen it first. What I have found is that you can get false readings if you don't torque in one smooth action - if you stop part way then the wrench clicks as soon as you start to tighten again.

I do think the nut must have loosened to jam the split pin hard against the side of the castle nut, however like you say the bearing (assuming it's the original) is probably on its way out after the best part of 280k.

Cheers,
        Last edited by chrisall; 10-08-17, 08:57 PM.
        2003 NP 3.5. Davies Craig tranny cooler, Dual battery, LED front fogs, Safari 'style' snorkel, LED reverse / work light, reverse cam, BushSkinz, LED interior lights, Joying android head unit, side steps, LED spotties, 17" steelies, bunny bar.

Comment

• chrisall
          • Sep 2016
          • WA

Originally posted by mrbitchi View Post
          255Nm. That's BLOODY tight
          255 +/- 29Nm, so potentially 284Nm

Cheers,

Comment

• kiwi1973
            Valued Member
            • Sep 2012
            • New Zealand

its such a high torque rating that i no longer measure it. i just tighten seriously using my 3/4 inch drive breaker bar. better too tight than not tight enough with this one perhaps
            2007 Shogun 3.2DID. UK Diamond Spec. Harrop Eaton front E-locker. MCC Bullbar. Runva 11XP winch. 17" Dotz rims with 32" STT Pro. Koni HT RAID 90 series with +2" EHD Lovells springs. ASFIR protection plates for engine & transmission. DIY steel rocksliders. LRA 81 litre auxiliary fuel tank. Waeco CFX-40. Home made drawers & fridge slide. Dual power - 120a/h AGM with CTEK DC-DC. LED lighting. 43 litre water tank with two electric pumps - one for tap (via filter) & one via heat exchanger.

Comment

• GHendo
              Valued Member
              • Mar 2012
              • Northern NSW

Just in case it hasn’t been mentioned, you must tighten these nuts with the wheel off the ground – ie. the weight must NOT be on the vehicle. You have to have the wheel off the ground and get someone to sit in the car and keep their foot firmly planted on the brake while you tension the nut.

Geoff
              03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

• Dalma01
                • Jun 2013
                • Sydney

Sorry to bring up an old thread.
                Will a 36mm 6 point impact socket fit?
                Or does it have to be a 12 point?

Comment

• erad
                  Valued Member
                  • Mar 2015
                  • Cooma NSW

It is a 6 point nut, you have a 6 point socket - it should comfortably fit. A 6 point socket is far better than a 12 point socket because it has more bite on the nut and is less likely to round off the points on the nut.

If you want a calibrated torque wrench, get the breaker bar level and stand on it. Your weight, determines the radius at which you stand.
                  Torque = weight (kg) x 9.81 x Radius.

For 255 N-m, and say 70 kg weight, radius = 255 /(70 x 9.81) = 0.37 m

So you stand such that your centre of gravity is 370 mm from the axle. Hang on to the roof rails whilst you are doing this, but do not use them to take any weight. Either that, or stand such that only one foot is on the bar, and that is at 370 mm from the axle centre.

Comment

• draganlada
                    • Dec 2010
                    • sydney

Sorry to bring up an old thread.
                    like most of other people on this forum I too had to re tighten the left rear wheel hub nut but me not having the torque wrench I have tightened it with air impact wrench really tight so my question now is does over tightening it can cause any damage to wheel bearing/hub ?

Comment

• honkur
                      • Apr 2019
                      • sunshine coast

Hey Draganlada,

I have done the same thing as well but it shouldn't worry anything as the hub nut is holding the whole hub to the axle, and as the wheel bearings are a unit with the hub it's not going to worry them. So don't stress

Comment

• draganlada
                        • Dec 2010
                        • sydney

Thanks honkur
                        but how long ago you have done yours as I did my couple days ago and think I have time to

do rectification if needed

BTW it makes sense what you have explained

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X