• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Selwood14
    • Jan 2013
    • Koo Wee Rup

2010 Outlander 4x4

My son has just purchase a 2010 4 cyl Outlander and was told by the salesman that he can drive around in 4x4 all the time. Can this be correct? Your views may help me.
  • Bundyk
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2012
    • North Nowra

More than likely is correct. Outlanders arent an actual 4x4, they are a All Wheel Drive vehicle, essentially meaning that, while they can deliver drive to the front and rear axles, they cannot lock the centre diff. This allows both axles to be driven on a hard surface without the risk of driveline damage caused by transmission wind-up. Their ability to do this greatly improves handling characteristics, especially in the wet, making them a safer vehicle on the road. This is what Subaru have built their reputation on. The on board computers in the modern vehicles decide how much power to send to each axle, or in the case of some vehicles, each wheel. Not too sure how the Outlander is set up, but in a Nissan X-Trail the AWD system has 3 modes, 2WD, Auto, and "4WD". 2WD mode speaks for itself, Auto mode is where the car will drive around in 2WD until the computers sense traction loss, where it will send drive to the rear wheels to maintain grip, and 4WD mode sends drive to both axles all the time.

Hope this helps a little
    Cheers, Bundy.

Currently: 2001 NM GLS MY2002 3.5 V6 Manual, Bullbar, GME TX3520, Falken Wildpeak A/T02 LT265/70/16, Pacemaker extractors, KYB Skorched 4's, Villain Lighting 22" lightbar, Bushskinz Front and sump guard, Pioneer 7" screen

Items to be fitted: ARB 2.5 x 2.1 awning.

Items to be purchased: Bushskinz- Gearbox/Transfer plates and sliders, Roof racks, Safari Snorkel, Lifted Springs, maybe more...

Comment

• markpeh
      Valued Member
      • Apr 2010
      • Lake Clarendon QLD

Originally posted by Selwood14 View Post
      My son has just purchase a 2010 4 cyl Outlander and was told by the salesman that he can drive around in 4x4 all the time. Can this be correct? Your views may help me.
      Salesman correct. With ours we used to use 2wd mainly but would always swap to 4wd in the wet. 4wd stopped the wheel spin too...
      NT ACTIV 2010 DID Manual

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
      Working...
      X