• Show
Clear All
  • Tripplec84
    • Feb 2017
    • Adelaide

Idling problem

Hey guys

I currently have a 3.5 V6 NM.

Shortly after I purchased the vehicle, 2 years ago, I had a issue with the idle speed going up to around 1400rpm, I tried numerous things like cleaning the throttle body, changed air filter etc etc and eventually with the help of this forum I replaced the IAC valve and did a ecu relearn for the idling and that cured the problem.

The IAC valve I fitted was just a cheap eBay one so after doing a lot of reading here I’m thinking of ordering a original one, but before I do so I thought I would see if anyone has had a similar problem.

So at the moment the idle speed drops to around 300rpm, but the problem is intermittent. I actually re fitted the old(original) IAC valve and have the same symptoms. After doing a ecu relearn she will idle fine for a couple of days and then just out of the blue starts playing up again and the idling is so low that I need to flick it into neutral when I stop in traffic to prevent the engine from stalling.

My wife took the paj out today to run some errands and there was no issues when she left home then when she wanted to come back home the paj wouldn’t idle and kept stalling. This happened twice and with the 3rd restart of the engine everything was fine again.

So am I over looking something or do you guys also think it’s the IAC valve playing up again.

The air filter is clean and fairly new. I cleaned the throttle body a week ago and also fitted a new fuel filter.(All the symptoms were there before doing any of this work)

Appreciate any feedback or advice you guys can offer.
    Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • chrisall
    • Sep 2016
    • WA

I had a similar problem but with low idle. I replaced the IAC with a cheap ebay job but then found the TPS was faulty so changed that, worked OK for a while but then was stalling again. I assumed the IAC was fine as it was relatively new, but when I took it apart found the ferrite core in the motor to be in several pieces.

In the end I managed to repair my origional genuine IAC with a piece of the new one, and problem solved.
    2003 NP 3.5. Davies Craig tranny cooler, Dual battery, LED front fogs, Safari 'style' snorkel, LED reverse / work light, reverse cam, BushSkinz, LED interior lights, Joying android head unit, side steps, LED spotties, 17" steelies, bunny bar.

Comment

• nj swb
      Resident
      • Jun 2007
      • Adelaide

I suspect IAC, and suggest an overhaul of the original (if you still have it). They're fairly simple devices, can only really fail with an electrical problem (broken wire) or mechanical problem (drag from crud).

On the 3 litre V6 they're simple to remove (three screws?) and pull apart (or was that the three screws?). I once removed, disassembled, cleaned, reassembled and reinstalled while on the phone - it's not rocket surgery. Or is that brain science?
      NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Tripplec84
        • Feb 2017
        • Adelaide

Thanks for the advice guys, I didn’t realise the little motor could be disassembled, but then again I didn’t even bother to check because I thought it was a sealed unit.

I will pull the cheap eBay one apart and see if there are any gremlins in it.

Strange thing is since I originally posted this question, the problem hasn’t come back. Go figure?

Comment

• Having Fun
          • Jun 2015
          • Adelaide

If you have no success with the suggestions above, maybe have a look at the brake booster; worn brake boosters can cause the issues you describe (by drawing excess vacuum from the engine). Have a quick Google

Comment

• Tripplec84
            • Feb 2017
            • Adelaide

Originally posted by Having Fun View Post
            If you have no success with the suggestions above, maybe have a look at the brake booster; worn brake boosters can cause the issues you describe (by drawing excess vacuum from the engine). Have a quick Google

That is very interesting you say that. Now that I think about it when I had this issue I found that if I approached a red traffic light I would start slowing down really early and basically coast to a halt and then as I stop the idling would drop really low (almost stalling) and then it would pick up again just a couple of hundred rpm.

You might be right on the money with it being related to the brake booster, will definitely check it out. Thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

• Having Fun
              • Jun 2015
              • Adelaide

Originally posted by Tripplec84 View Post
              That is very interesting you say that. Now that I think about it when I had this issue I found that if I approached a red traffic light I would start slowing down really early and basically coast to a halt and then as I stop the idling would drop really low (almost stalling) and then it would pick up again just a couple of hundred rpm.

You might be right on the money with it being related to the brake booster, will definitely check it out. Thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

• Roofchop
                • Jul 2018
                • Carool, Australia

I thought these used the dreaded HBB pump instead of vacuum...Or is it both?

Cheers
                Dave
                2007 NS 3.8 V6 GLX Auto

Comment

• Tripplec84
                  • Feb 2017
                  • Adelaide

Just had a look. So mine has the HBB with electric motor, so there goes that idea that it could be consuming too much vacuum. Really thought that could be the problem.

Also I checked out my ICV and seems like it is a sealed unit. Maybe the earlier models had ones which could be pulled apart.

O well, let’s see how long she behaves herself for.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8134.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	984293
                  This is my spare ICV. Can’t see how to pull it apart without breaking it.

Comment

• Roofchop
                    • Jul 2018
                    • Carool, Australia

Coolant temperature sensor??

<$20 part, the ECU uses it and other inputs to set the idle, (cold starts etc)

It's probably the original and "brittle/fragile/unreliable"

There are two sensors, one for the gauge and one for the ECU.

Worth a try....

Cheers
                    Dave

Edit, I paid $20 for mine last year, now they seem to be $40+ ish....
                    Last edited by Roofchop; 22-04-19, 08:38 AM.
                    2007 NS 3.8 V6 GLX Auto

Comment

• tommo123
                      • Dec 2012
                      • SE Queensland

. Can’t see how to pull it apart without breaking it.

The brown bit pushs into the black housing like a tail light bulb but with 3 locating pegs instead of 2. So you need to turn the brown bit with pliers and then wiggle it out. Then just clean the bit up with carby cleaner. As someone said crud builds up and they stick.

Comment

• Tripplec84
                        • Feb 2017
                        • Adelaide

Originally posted by tommo123 View Post
                        The brown bit pushs into the black housing like a tail light bulb but with 3 locating pegs instead of 2. So you need to turn the brown bit with pliers and then wiggle it out. Then just clean the bit up with carby cleaner. As someone said crud builds up and they stick.

Thanks Tommo! This worked a treat. So mine looks pretty clean inside and the little bearings feel good and everything seems to turn and move smoothly.

So onto next suggestion.... will check out the coolant temperature sensors.

Comment

• stevecarstens
                          • Jul 2019
                          • sydney

Idle problems

I have a 2005 np pajero with some idle issues once warmed up just wondering what it could be? thanks again.

Comment

• 4ePikanini
                            Valued Member
                            • Dec 2009
                            • South Africa, East London

Originally posted by stevecarstens View Post
                            I have a 2005 np pajero with some idle issues once warmed up just wondering what it could be? thanks again.
                            likely the throttle body idle adjustment screw

Check link below

I developed a weird idle problem this past weekend It stalls when it goes to idle - either when coasting to a robot or when starting while it s at operating temp. When it s cold it starts and idles fine. I have let it idle from cold and when it gets ..
                            1993 3.0 V6 Pajero - SOLD
                            2001 3.2 Di-D Pajero - SOLD
                            2005 Touareg R5 2.5 TDi - SOLD
                            2007 Pajero LWB 3.2 Di-D

Comment

• chrisall
                              • Sep 2016
                              • WA

Thanks Tommo! This worked a treat. So mine looks pretty clean inside and the little bearings feel good and everything seems to turn and move smoothly.

So onto next suggestion.... will check out the coolant temperature sensors.

Did you test the TPS yet?
                              2003 NP 3.5. Davies Craig tranny cooler, Dual battery, LED front fogs, Safari 'style' snorkel, LED reverse / work light, reverse cam, BushSkinz, LED interior lights, Joying android head unit, side steps, LED spotties, 17" steelies, bunny bar.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X