• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dicko1
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2014
    • Cairns, FNQ

Fuel filter at 20,000klms

Today I decided to change the main and auxiliary fuel filter on the NW. Both have done 19,600klms since last change. Simple enough job to do. Just ensure you fill both filters with new fuel before mounting onto holder. Took 20 minutes total. Baldwin main filter and Donaldson for aux. Decide to cut open the main filter (my aux is the secondary filter). Upon cutting it open I was amazed to see how clean it was. The inner 2/3rds of the absorbent material had no signs of greyness/black deposits. The outer 1/3 was a greyish colour but certainly not black as I have seen some filters. I have no doubt that the filter would have been good for at least another 20,000klms. Didn't bother with pictures as not needed. Cutting the aux filter open I found it to have a lot more dark grey/black deposits. This I expected as it only has about 1/3 - 1/4 of the filter surface area of the main filter and it is a lot finer. I reckon I may have got another 5,000klms from it but in future will stick with 20,000klm changes to both main and auxiliary. Aux is 3 micron and I believe the Baldwin are around 10 micron??? Anyway...all good and I can see no value in changing filters any earlier.

Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money
  • Keithyv
    Valued Member
    • May 2018
    • Perth

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
    Today I decided to change the main and auxiliary fuel filter on the NW. Both have done 19,600klms since last change. Simple enough job to do. Just ensure you fill both filters with new fuel before mounting onto holder. Took 20 minutes total. Baldwin main filter and Donaldson for aux. Decide to cut open the main filter (my aux is the secondary filter). Upon cutting it open I was amazed to see how clean it was. The inner 2/3rds of the absorbent material had no signs of greyness/black deposits. The outer 1/3 was a greyish colour but certainly not black as I have seen some filters. I have no doubt that the filter would have been good for at least another 20,000klms. Didn't bother with pictures as not needed. Cutting the aux filter open I found it to have a lot more dark grey/black deposits. This I expected as it only has about 1/3 - 1/4 of the filter surface area of the main filter and it is a lot finer. I reckon I may have got another 5,000klms from it but in future will stick with 20,000klm changes to both main and auxiliary. Aux is 3 micron and I believe the Baldwin are around 10 micron??? Anyway...all good and I can see no value in changing filters any earlier.

I bought my NW at around 39,000km

Due to some 'creative' interpretation on what services to perform when, the previous dealer services (during 1st owner's time) had not been performed correctly, basically they 'skipped' a service because the following one was done early. Anyway, basically all was good with oil & filter but the service where the fuel filter should have been replaced had been skipped.

I changed the filter at around 40,000 km and it was pretty filthy.
    Even with a bit less than a year left on warranty I'm just going to do oil, filters etc. myself from now on.
    ESPECIALLY as when changing the oil last week the sump plug was badly rounded and super tight.
    Not sure how they'd managed that when it has only had 3 - 4 oil changes in its life...

I do plan to fit a secondary filter at some stage - probably before the next trip up north (of WA)
    2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
    MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.

Comment

• NTBenny
      • May 2017
      • Newcastle

I bought my NT with 93,000 on it and it had been serviced at 90k with a new Sakura fuel filter. I decided to replace the Sakura with a Z699 Ryco at approx. 95k. This is what it looked like after I cut it open. This was prior to me installing a secondary filter unit.

Benny
      Last edited by NTBenny; 22-01-19, 07:03 PM.
      2011 NT Pajero Platinum, DCS 80AH Extreme Battery, Stedi 8.5" LED driving lights, Bushskinz side steps & bash plates, Provent 200, Auto-mate TC lockup, Derale fan forced trans cooler, custom 3inch exhaust, JT intercooler, Bilstein + Lovells 2 inch lift, Airbag Man bags, DBA slotted rotors, braided brake lines, diff+gearbox+transfer breathers, Redarc boost & EGT gauge, Tuned by TME 141rwkw 598nm.

Comment

• Dicko1
        Valued Member
        • Dec 2014
        • Cairns, FNQ

My photos
        Attached Files
        Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Hill
          Valued Member
          • Sep 2007
          • Adelaide

from : https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...d.php?p=563891

(29-09-17 )

The human eye can see particles that are around 40 microns so it is unlikely we will see particles in diesel unless they are very large. We will certainly see droplets of water.

Below is some infor re asphaltenes.

from https://www.turbodieselregister.com/...fuel-filter-be

Don't be alarmed at the charcoal gray/black color of the filtering media from your used fuel filter. This is tarry, organic particles that naturally occur in #2 diesel fuels called asphaltenes. They are generally thought to be in the one-half to two micron range and are harmless to the diesel fuel injection system because they are soft and pliable.

Concentrations of asphaltenes in diesel fuel vary widely and can increase through heat and fuel oxidation. As these tiny particles pass through the filter media, they tend to stick to the fibers of the media. A build up of asphaltenes is the normal mechanism that plugs filters, not hard particles. This is different than the black slime (dead algae) that sometimes is seen in diesel fuel. That is a microbial problem, and not a normal occurrence.

Some additional reading:

AOR Quantum 4

Comment

• saj
            • Aug 2010
            • Northern Nsw

I feel a little bad, 65K with my NP fuel filter i put on almost 4 years to the date. Mine has 240K and to be honest I can't tell the difference with the new one.

Hopefully haven't shortened the life of my fuel pump. I'll crack open the old one (Fleetguard) and take a look .
            2006 NP VRX DiD. Dual Batts 80Amp. 2"lovells and bilsteins. Polyairs. Clic-on Ipad Holder. ARB awning

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X