• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ratbago
    • Sep 2019
    • Melbourne

Brake Upgrade or rebuild?

Those of you that have done the brake upgrade to gen 2 calipers , did you change the master cylinder and booster aswell? My gen 1 booster has gone kaput , debating whether i should have it rebuilt or if i can possibly fit a gen 2 booster , master and the calipers.
  • Imajin14
    • Jun 2020
    • Brisbane

Have you removed your old booster? I reckon pull the booster out bring it to the wreckers, pull a gen 2 booster out and compare it?

I'm changing the calipers to gen 2 calipers pads and discs haven't pulled it out yet but I'm planning to use a Camry master cylinder due to being a 1inch bore but once I start pulling it apart im planning to bring the Pajero master cylinder to the wreckers and compare it to the Camry/avalons

Comment

• Kingbrown
      Valued Member
      • Apr 2012
      • Port Augusta - SA

Originally posted by Imajin14 View Post
      I'm changing the calipers to gen 2 calipers pads and discs haven't pulled it out yet but I'm planning to use a Camry master cylinder due to being a 1inch bore but once I start pulling it apart im planning to bring the Pajero master cylinder to the wreckers and compare it to the Camry/avalons
      I would be interested to hear how that mix-and-match comes together.
      Presumably the referenced 1" master cylinder is larger than the original so the resultant hydraulic pressure will be less than the original (for the same pedal force). Pressure = Force/Area.

The stroke of the pedal may be less when the brakes start to operate, but does that come at the cost of weaker braking (or heavier pedal) due to less pressure ?
      Or are there other compensations such as different calipers/pistons
      or a larger booster ?
      2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

• Imajin14
        • Jun 2020
        • Brisbane

I know what you mean the pedal will require more force

But because I'm upgrading to a bigger caliper should work out fine I can always trial and error I'll update it in the 3uzfe swap thread. I'll be doing the brakes next 2 weeks just waiting for abit more parts

Comment

• Ratbago
          • Sep 2019
          • Melbourne

Originally posted by Imajin14 View Post
          Have you removed your old booster? I reckon pull the booster out bring it to the wreckers, pull a gen 2 booster out and compare it?

Went to the wreckers and found a gen 2 non ABS and picked up a brake booster and master for 30 bucks , the booster fitted perfectly without any modifications . The brake master required a slight change to one of the brake lines . The drivers side brake line is slightly too short but if you slightly bend the loop in it to a tighter radius you can get it to fit in fine . Once i had taken my old gen 1 booster out it was obvious why it was cactus, the push rod on the master side was just flapping around in the breeze with no connection to the inner diaphragm

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X