• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zacc
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2007

air flow meter cleaning

i have a nm 3.5 , just would like to know if there is any need every now and then to give the air flow meter . i ask this as i run a k&n filter and you have to coat it with filter oil. if so what is used to do it ? cheers
  • psproule
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2007
    • Googong, NSW

The AFM in a 3.5 petrol is a honeycomb type from memory? Just near the exit from the airbox lid? Have a look at it and see if it is dirty.

K&N and similar filters seem to have fallen out of fashion for this problem and that they pass larger particles than the factory paper filters - according to some published tests anyway.
    2016 Mitsubishi NX Pajero GLX
    2011 Landrover Freelander II SD4

Comment

• wrexed03
      • Jul 2007

Nothing much to clean in these ones. Looking through it all you will see is a diode nothing more. They arent like the holden and mazda ones where they have the wire running through that gets contaminated.

Regards

Comment

• dolphin
        Valued Member
        • Jan 2008

if you do need to clean this air flow meter internal section, just wash carefully with a small brush and petrol. keep a good eye on the foam aircleaner you have as they can break down after time.
        NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.

Comment

• WogsRus
          Valued Member
          • Sep 2008
          • Hobart Tasmania

DO NOT USE any other cleaner other then contact electrical cleaner. any film left over by the cleaner will not allow the sensor to read the incoming air flow.

The MMA sensors are a mass air flow sensor, ie volume, temp, and density, a honeycomb construction.

You can get the cleaner at Disck Smith for about $20 a can
          HAD 2007 NS GLX Pajero, 3.8L grunt, ex Cop,

NOW 50th Anniversary Simpson Edition Poootrol wit some fruit

"Speed doesn't kill. It's the sudden stop at the end"
          "Live everyday as if it was your last, and some day it will"

Comment

• gaz1
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2007
            • Blue Mountains NSW

The electrical cleaner can also be got from Jaycar, not sure if the can is the same size as Dick Smith's but at Jaycar last week I got a can for $11.

Gaz
            2010 MY 2011 VR-X V6. Stock standard.

Previously 02 NM auto V6 Exceed silver. Extra transmission cooler & transmission temp gauge, activated rear lights, Impco sequential LPG system, Redback (Wildcat) Headers, heavy duty radiator. Lovells shocks F & R, Polyair bags in rear.

My original Pajero experience - '90 NG Superwagon, 3.0 V6 manual bought new and kept until 1998. Great vehicle, no problems apart from the noisy valve lifters typical of that engine.

Comment

• Powie1
              • Aug 2007

I know from the previous posts you only use contact electrical cleaner but how do you do it? Do you need to take the sensor out or do you give the honeycomb body a good spray?

Comment

• WogsRus
                Valued Member
                • Sep 2008
                • Hobart Tasmania

Yeah take out the AFM, ie the whole box section, and spray genereaously the honeycomb and the sensor. Make sure you get into all the nucks and cranies well.

Leave to dry and evaporate and refit.

What you can do is use a Multimeater to measure the resistance across the sensor before you clean it. This is easily done.

You can the measure the resistance once cleaned and it will give you an indication of how dirty it was.

I suspect Jcar cleaner is identical to DS

Comment

• DougL3NC
                  • Jan 2009
                  • Charlotte, NC USA

What is the benefit of this? Reduced fuel consumption, smoother running, overall improved performance?

Doug
                  01 NM Exceed 3.5 (Montero Limited) 265/75/16 BFG A/T, OME HD w/ Nitrochargers, swaybar delete, Surco 40x60 roof basket, Cobra CB, Jerry Cans, soon to be ARB Bullbar

Comment

• WogsRus
                    Valued Member
                    • Sep 2008
                    • Hobart Tasmania

over time AFM gets dirty hence increase in resistance which makes teh car think it has more air flow then it really has and dumps more fuel into the car making it run ritch.

The 02 sensor then tires to lean teh mixture out and the car can start to PING, and then the computer retards teh timming to compensate.

So the net result is higher fuel consumption and lower power.

Comment

• Commandant
                      • Feb 2010
                      • Canberra ACT

Air FlowMeter

Hi all,
                      Can anyone let me know what the honeycomb in the AFM should look like? Should it be "open" so you can see through it, or "blocked" so you cannot see through it?
                      I took mine out to clean with contact cleaner as previously suggested, but it is a mixture of both blocked and open holes ??? I sprayed cleaner into the holes, but it didnt seem to clear the blockages - so doesnt appear to be dirt and crud. Didnt want to poke anything in there without asking first. Have given every inch a good spray to try and clean.
                      I am trying to slowly get to the bottom of my fuel economy woes on our recent purchase- NK LWB with 272 on clock / both petrol and LPG, AND ONLY GETTING 26 ltr per 100k ON THE HIGHWAY ON GAS ??? - Petrol.....dont even ask...
                      Have changed filters / changed O2 sensor (it looked like it hadnt been changed previously), tried injector cleaner, timing belt changed 10 thousand ago.
                      Many thanks for your time.
                      '97 NK 3500 DOHC...Dual Fuel... Manual... Alpine Head Unit...ORICOM UHF050...31' MAXXIS Buckshot Mudders ...friggin heaps of k's...Reco Gem engine just in...Tandem Kayak...Tradies trailer converted for camping...

Comment

• wrexed03
                        • Jul 2007

Should be able to see straight through it. if the honeycomb is blocked up it will reduce airflow hence run rich.. Be careful when cleaning its a fragile unit.
                        May be worth removing the unit from the vehicle and undo the four nuts holding it in the airbox. Soak the honeycomb with contact cleaner and get a paper clip and try remove the dirt that way. Hopefully that will do it for you.

Regards

Comment

• gaz1
                          Valued Member
                          • Jun 2007
                          • Blue Mountains NSW

On the subject of the AFM, has anyone tried opening the black box that sits on top of the airflow bit - where the cables plug in. I had a go, but decided not to proceed when it seemed that excessive force might be needed to pull it apart.

Just curious.

Gaz
                          2010 MY 2011 VR-X V6. Stock standard.

Previously 02 NM auto V6 Exceed silver. Extra transmission cooler & transmission temp gauge, activated rear lights, Impco sequential LPG system, Redback (Wildcat) Headers, heavy duty radiator. Lovells shocks F & R, Polyair bags in rear.

My original Pajero experience - '90 NG Superwagon, 3.0 V6 manual bought new and kept until 1998. Great vehicle, no problems apart from the noisy valve lifters typical of that engine.

Comment

• 4L3
                            • Jun 2013
                            • Castlemaine

Originally posted by WogsRus View Post

What you can do is use a Multimeater to measure the resistance across the sensor before you clean it. This is easily done.

S
                            this may be a silly question, but how do you measure the resistance?

Comment

• Jimmyp
                              • Jul 2020
                              • perth

Originally posted by gaz1 View Post
                              On the subject of the AFM, has anyone tried opening the black box that sits on top of the airflow bit - where the cables plug in. I had a go, but decided not to proceed when it seemed that excessive force might be needed to pull it apart.

Just curious.

Gaz

I did the exact same thing as this post and was also curious if anybody knew if it is worth cleaning in there? i cant find any other exact info thanks.

Hope its no problem bringing up old posts.

Cheers

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X